• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how do you press a book?

146 posts in this topic

Years ago, I was gung ho about how we needed to debate pressing and disclose pressing and talk about how pressing was done. Nowadays, I see that was a mistake. The only thing talking about pressing did was create more pressers.

You should talk some more about how hot women love geeky blokes who collect comics.

I don't do fiction by request.

It's like asking coke to let you know their secret formula since you want to know what you are ingesting.

Pricing was through the roof for a long time because competition simply was not there. It is only after competition arrived that nosebleed prices have come down.

Regarding sharing methods, anyone worth their salt would not. Early on I helped out a few board member who promised "I only want to do this for myself", it will not impact your business. Well, after getting bitten in the posterior a few times I no longer do it.

You want to know whats happening with your books? They are being pressed professionally. Thats why you sent them in after all. The results for the pro's speak for themselves.

I cannot tell you how many books I have to fix, even from individuals who own a press, after they botch them up. As simple as everyone says it is, they often realise it is not.

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about pressing. Therefore I can appreciate those who have put in the time and effort to learn the proper techniques not wanting to reveal too much. However, three questions if I may.

First, what type of damage can occur from a botched press?

Second, can square bound comics (such as Silver age 25 cent annuals) be pressed?

And finally, what the heck is "release paper"?

Years ago, I was gung ho about how we needed to debate pressing and disclose pressing and talk about how pressing was done. Nowadays, I see that was a mistake. The only thing talking about pressing did was create more pressers.

This is a fallacy. Kind of like saying the popularity of the NFL as the number 1 sport in the US is due to all of the newspaper press the league gets.

What created more pressers was the increase in pressing (through PCS, Matt, Jason, and the other earlybirds) coupled with the money being made by the press/flip approach. The discussions about pressing on the boards are merely reflections of this.

It's like asking coke to let you know their secret formula since you want to know what you are ingesting.

Pricing was through the roof for a long time because competition simply was not there. It is only after competition arrived that nosebleed prices have come down.

Regarding sharing methods, anyone worth their salt would not. Early on I helped out a few board member who promised "I only want to do this for myself", it will not impact your business. Well, after getting bitten in the posterior a few times I no longer do it.

You want to know whats happening with your books? They are being pressed professionally. Thats why you sent them in after all. The results for the pro's speak for themselves.

I cannot tell you how many books I have to fix, even from individuals who own a press, after they botch them up. As simple as everyone says it is, they often realise it is not.

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about pressing. Therefore I can appreciate those who have put in the time and effort to learn the proper techniques not wanting to reveal too much. However, three questions if I may.

First, what type of damage can occur from a botched press?

Second, can square bound comics (such as Silver age 25 cent annuals) be pressed?

And finally, what the heck is "release paper"?

Split spines, damage from heat, damage from moisture, damage from pressure, wavy, waffly, ink removal, accidental creases, accidental imbedding of dirt or foreign objects, etc, etc, etc.

Yes

Paper with a coating that keeps the book from sticking to the surface of the press.

This is a fallacy. Kind of like saying the popularity of the NFL as the number 1 sport in the US is due to all of the newspaper press the league gets.

What created more pressers was the increase in pressing (through PCS, Matt, Jason, and the other earlybirds) coupled with the money being made by the press/flip approach. The discussions about pressing on the boards are merely reflections of this.

I disagree. I know for a fact that there would be less people pressing had the topic never graced this message board.

I disagree. I know for a fact that there would be less people pressing had the topic never graced this message board.

OK, but there would be VERY little pressing if substantial money weren't being made from the press/encapsulate/flip cycle. The magnitude of pressing in the hobby today dwarfs what it used to be before third-party grading and encapsulation.

I know everyone is getting a well deserved laugh out of Russ's pressing video, but at least he was forthright about showing his methods.

Parhaps if folks were a little more open about how pressing is actually done, there would be a bit less controversy about the subject.

Paper conservation and restoration have been going on for ages. There's many books that teach you everything you need to know about how to press a document.

I know everyone is getting a well deserved laugh out of Russ's pressing video, but at least he was forthright about showing his methods.

Parhaps if folks were a little more open about how pressing is actually done, there would be a bit less controversy about the subject.

Paper conservation and restoration have been going on for ages. There's many books that teach you everything you need to know about how to press a document.

Agreed, no one seems to want to do the leg work and just want to google "comic pressing" or whatever. The information is out there and very much available for those wanting to learn it. That said i still prefer to use the experts for pressing high end books.

Meaning more money for the few that were ...

A professional will invest the time and energy to answer questions that can be answered.

Am I insured. Yes. Your books are insure while they are in my posession and when they are in transit.

They are stored in thick plastic storage containers while they are waiting to be processed. They are kept in a secure, temperature controlled area. Away from any chance of damage.

My work are is well lit, temperature controlled and I maintain it on a daily basis. Controls are in place to keep books safe and secure, even while I am working on them. In case you are wondering, I do not setup on my kitchen table to do work. I have a dedicated space.

Once processed they are placed back into a plastic storage container while awating final processing, and are either mailed out to you (usually double boxed with plenty of protection) or driven down to CGC.

Any books that are going to CGC are placed back in a secure area and held there until I drive them down to CGC.

Only had a few books done by Joey. All are in my collection never for sale.

he is amazing imo. my 1st books done i had alot of questions and he took the time and answered. imo he is one of the best people i have had to deal with. i would not deal with any others. and i understand %100 why he or the others dont want to let there secrets out.

A professional will invest the time and energy to answer questions that can be answered.

Am I insured. Yes. Your books are insure while they are in my posession and when they are in transit.

They are stored in thick plastic storage containers while they are waiting to be processed. They are kept in a secure, temperature controlled area. Away from any chance of damage.

My work are is well lit, temperature controlled and I maintain it on a daily basis. Controls are in place to keep books safe and secure, even while I am working on them. In case you are wondering, I do not setup on my kitchen table to do work. I have a dedicated space.

Once processed they are placed back into a plastic storage container while awating final processing, and are either mailed out to you (usually double boxed with plenty of protection) or driven down to CGC.

Any books that are going to CGC are placed back in a secure area and held there until I drive them down to CGC.

Only had a few books done by Joey. All are in my collection never for sale.

he is amazing imo. my 1st books done i had alot of questions and he took the time and answered. imo he is one of the best people i have had to deal with. i would not deal with any others. and i understand %100 why he or the others dont want to let there secrets out.

% 100 sure?

I ask a lot of stupid questions in general, when it came to pressing I was even worse. Joey was pretty patient with me and answered them all, I'm looking foreword to seeing the results of my first pressing. It's just a shame Joey couldn't press my crappy books into key's.

Press your luck

Press the flesh

Pressed into service

Press Release

Meet the Press

Freedom of the press

power of the press

press your advantage

Who's the King of comic pressing?...

Elvis Pressley

DiceX. He's about as helpless as a porcupine in a nudist colony.

...and about as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel of oatmeal. (That's the one FL quote I know, and I say, I'm a gonna keep sayin' it!)

Hey now! I'm subtle! :sumo:

Wrong again.