• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 2-in-1: The Best Paired-up Marvel Series ever??

50 posts in this topic

I like the second half of the 2in1 series better than the first half. If we were talking about Annuals, there would be no contest. Marvel 2in1 Annuals 2 and 7 are great comics. I liked DeFalco's understanding of Ben's character overall.

I like the Thing and this was a title I read a lot as a kid as it could always be found in the 5 for $1 or 4 for $1 box, even when cover prices were 60 cents. then again, a lot of MTU went in there too. I liked both titles, but MTU was generally better. Better chance at some decent art, the stories could be a little less thrown together, etc.

[
I prefered this to the MTU series, I quite enjoyed The Thing follow up series to read as well. Liked the issue where he beat up the Rhino, then felt sorry for him ;-)

Not forgetting that one where he befriended the sandman.

rs-marvel2in1.jpg

MTIO was pretty decent towards the back half of the run, there was some fun character bits. The first half or two thirds of the series is also interesting, but mainly because it seemed like the dumping ground for every abandoned plot line in the MU. Need to wrap up the Skull the Slayer storyline? Have an abandoned Deathlok series that needs closure? Didn't get to finish that Her epic? Just toss it into MTIO and have the Thing appear to sort things out.

You almost can't make sense of the Bronze Age Marvel universe without reading MTIO.

MTU, on the other hand, is just a random batch of nonsense. Spidey happens to be swinging around the city when he runs into character X and then whatever. The whole series is predicated on random encounters, like a bad 80's Nintendo RPG.

Annual #7 was the one when Marvel's Strongest went up against The Champion. I agree, great issue.

(thumbs u :headbang: I kinda liked two in one more the team up.Spidey had a few of his own solo titles. The Thing didnt have a solo book till 1983. I always liked the Thing. (shrug)

MTIO was pretty decent towards the back half of the run, there was some fun character bits. The first half or two thirds of the series is also interesting, but mainly because it seemed like the dumping ground for every abandoned plot line in the MU. Need to wrap up the Skull the Slayer storyline? Have an abandoned Deathlok series that needs closure? Didn't get to finish that Her epic? Just toss it into MTIO and have the Thing appear to sort things out.

You almost can't make sense of the Bronze Age Marvel universe without reading MTIO.

MTU, on the other hand, is just a random batch of nonsense. Spidey happens to be swinging around the city when he runs into character X and then whatever. The whole series is predicated on random encounters, like a bad 80's Nintendo RPG.

(thumbs u

Although being a big Fantastic Four fan I have fond memories of Marvel Two-In-One, I must admit that re-reading some of them made me realize that qualitatively speaking it was pretty discontinuous, especially from some point onwards, while almost all the Marvel Team-Up I have read anew or re-read are qualitatively excellent (especially the first issues). Maybe it just depends on which periods and issues, and of course on who wrote and draw.

And I DO love the Thing, so it’s an unbiased evaluation. ;)

Well, the first issues were more than often excellent. Marvel Team-Up #3-4 (the Morbius storyline continues and ends, with the X-Men as guests in a great story) and the first Marvel Two-In-One as well.

Would be great to take advantage of this thread to list the best stories we have read of both titles. I mean those we may have re-read and found really good (maybe elaborating the positive criticism as well).

It was a fun series, nothing more, nothing less. One issue that comes to mind features Ben and the Sandman in a bar, enjoying a few beverages, discussing lifes problems.

This story, although pretty meaningful (and important, since it features one of the in-depth takes about the theme of redemption of villains) belongs to a period where the title was pretty in its "decadence", or at least remarkably discontinuous in quality.

I was talking of the earlier issues: among them, I would not say "a fun series, nothing more, nothing less"; there were great stories, although generally speaking MTO and MTU can’t be judged as a regular titles because of the turnaround of writers and artists (and possibly the "rush" in forcedly putting together one issue after the other).