• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2012!

298 posts in this topic

Man, that's a toughie - they almost all have to be art for me, as it seems much harder to attain.

#3 - Ebas sketch of Savage Land Rogue.

Ebas%20-%20Savage%20Land%20Rogue.jpg

#2 Vintage page of an early appearance of Rogue in Dazzler. Awesome action in this page - I was happy and fortunate to have picked it up.

Frank%20Springer%20-%20Dazzler%2024%20Page%209.jpg

#1 - Vintage J Scott Campbell sketch from 1995. I really like finding his work from the era I had my comic shop. He was (still is) one of my favorite artists, and it's nice finding his older stuff.

campbell.jpg

Runner up: Lobo Paramilitary X-Mas Special signed by Bisley. That's a personal triumph for me, as I've worshipped this book since the early 90's.

Batman 232 9.6 CGC

Tales to Astonish 57 9.2CGC

A very limited Joe Simon litho I passed on around 1987 and had not seen offered again until this weeks Metropolis auction. I believe it was limited to either 25 or 50. I passed on an unframed copy back then and got a nicely framed copy for about the same price- less than the cost of the frame.

well the 1st thing would have to be this:

It is the prelim to Mark Brooks Heroes Con Charity Art Auction Phoenix. I was the 2nd highest bidder on the painting at $9000.00 I had planned to win it until my buddy reminded me I had a wife who would kill me. So I let it go and honestly I am more than happy with this. I ve been offered 2.5 times what I paid since Heroes by two people and I turned them both down. Hopefully I will be able to hang on to it for a good long while.

SKMBT_C25312062713140_0001.jpgC063EEBA-7AB9-48CF-8203-65F75F130040-3917-000004E29AE47B08-1.jpg

2nd would have to be:

I just picked it up from Adam this past month. I really got into Silver Age Comics this year when I sold my Magic the Gathering collection. After putting cash down for our house with it and then some furnishings the wife wanted I realized I still had around $20,000. Since I was done with Magic as school was almost over I decided I would just use the funds to buy some of the books I never thought I would own as a child. X-Men 1 7.0 is at the top of my list and honestly this one probably isnt a keeper as much as it is a place holder for me while I still climb after that 7.0. I will say that I started with a 3.5 and after several trades/sales now have this beauty while I wait.

Xmen1CGCFN.jpg

3rd:

This one is though as I have picked up a ton of Silver Age keys, Sketch covers, and art since I joined here a couple months ago. I would have to say that the 3rd thing on my list this year is this commission done by Sara Richard. It is not actually mine as much as it belongs to my wife. I will be giving it to her on Xmas. The subject matter was our 3 dogs which I sent photos of to Sara and I think she knocked them out of the park. We dont have kids right now and probably wont for another year or two so these guys are family to us. I look forward to getting it framed and hung up on the wall in either her office at work or here at home.

63114_10151175902607736_1850611441_n.jpg

I figured yours would be tough to whittle down. I love that X-Men - it's stunningly white, but the coolest is the dog commission - it's great to get a piece like that that really showcases the artists' talent in a personal way.

well the 1st thing would have to be this:

It is the prelim to Mark Brooks Heroes Con Charity Art Auction Phoenix. I was the 2nd highest bidder on the painting at $9000.00 I had planned to win it until my buddy reminded me I had a wife who would kill me. So I let it go and honestly I am more than happy with this. I ve been offered 2.5 times what I paid since Heroes by two people and I turned them both down. Hopefully I will be able to hang on to it for a good long while.

SKMBT_C25312062713140_0001.jpgC063EEBA-7AB9-48CF-8203-65F75F130040-3917-000004E29AE47B08-1.jpg

2nd would have to be:

I just picked it up from Adam this past month. I really got into Silver Age Comics this year when I sold my Magic the Gathering collection. After putting cash down for our house with it and then some furnishings the wife wanted I realized I still had around $20,000. Since I was done with Magic as school was almost over I decided I would just use the funds to buy some of the books I never thought I would own as a child. X-Men 1 7.0 is at the top of my list and honestly this one probably isnt a keeper as much as it is a place holder for me while I still climb after that 7.0. I will say that I started with a 3.5 and after several trades/sales now have this beauty while I wait.

Xmen1CGCFN.jpg

3rd:

This one is though as I have picked up a ton of Silver Age keys, Sketch covers, and art since I joined here a couple months ago. I would have to say that the 3rd thing on my list this year is this commission done by Sara Richard. It is not actually mine as much as it belongs to my wife. I will be giving it to her on Xmas. The subject matter was our 3 dogs which I sent photos of to Sara and I think she knocked them out of the park. We dont have kids right now and probably wont for another year or two so these guys are family to us. I look forward to getting it framed and hung up on the wall in either her office at work or here at home.

:applause:

I figured yours would be tough to whittle down. I love that X-Men - it's stunningly white, but the coolest is the dog commission - it's great to get a piece like that that really showcases the artists' talent in a personal way.

I agree. This is a beautiful piece. Your wife is going to love it.

I agree. This is a beautiful piece. Your wife is going to love it.

+1, I love her work. She did a great Phoenix for me at Fan Expo earlier this year.

Batman got me back into comics. This was the main reason I went to Philadelphia. Capullo was such a nice guy and very fun to talk to!

dsc0419v.jpg

I got in touch with Julian a couple months ago and was able to acquire these awesome pages from Uncanny X-Force #28. Can't wait to get them framed, but I'm going to wait until I get the CGC 9.8 of the issue from Dre.

dsc0418ji.jpg

Picked up the first appearance of Phoenix from a local comic shop. Looks like a very high grade. It will be getting sent out to Joeypost soon for pressing and then grading.

dsc0417hr.jpg