• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on sellers who ask buyers to pay paypal fees?

153 posts in this topic

I don't charge PayPal fees, but on the other hand, I don't have a problem with a seller who does as long as they disclose it up front.

As far as adding on the PayPal fee (2.9% + 40 cents for domestic buyers) to their price, that's easier said than done. What would you think of someone who was charging $26.14 or $62.14 (and for you math nerds out there, these prices do not account for the 2.9% fee on the amount that was added) for books instead of $25 or $60?

As a buyer, you figure out the bottom line cost, and if it's not more than you're willing to pay, what difference does it make who is "paying" the PayPal fee?

My 2c

After flying for nearly an entire day, I walked into a Hong Kong hotel and reached for the bottle of evian on the desk only to warned by my Wife to check the price first.

$13 for a bottle of evian! I call it naive water now.

I was thirsty that day my friends.

I was charged for ketchup in a German McDonald's, never bought went to a Mickey Ds in Europe again

I was charged for matches while on a trip to then-Calcutta. I then understood the purpose of the slow burning rope at the seller's stall.

Cheap-arses who need avoiding.

Not enough for you to sell without any fees here, you need to throw 3% on top? :facepalm:

Not enough that you're running a business out of your bedroom with zero overheads, you need to throw 3% on top? :facepalm:

Not enough that you're not declaring your profits to the tax man, you need to throw 3% on top? :facepalm:

It seems to me that more and more sellers in the marketplace are asking the buyers to pay paypal fees. Some do it in advance, stating paypal is accepted but buyer pays the fee, some wait until after the sale and then request it after the fact.

In general, I believe PP fees are the cost of doing business and usually don't buy from people who ask for me to pay the PP fees,and up until now, I've always eaten the fees on my sales.

I'm trying to get the forums pulse on this.

Does being asked to pay PP fees bother you? Do you skip threads that the seller states the buyer pays the fees? How do you feel when the seller after the fact asks you to pay his fees?

Is the buyer offering a discount for non-paypal transactions more appealing to you?

Does Paypal even allow a seller to require the buyer to pay its fee?

I generally agree with your point of view on it which is I believe the pp fees are a part of doing business and will never ask any of my buyers to cover those costs.

On the other side as a buyer myself if I am getting a reasonably good deal on my purchase and I am asked to pay the fees it doesn't bother me. If I am paying fair market value for the item and then I am asked to pay the fees to I admit it irks me.

So it is circumstantial.

I pay all my "sellers" fees.

It's the cost of doing business.

I prefer not to nickel and dime.

As a seller if I'm giving a great deal I've learned to ask what the payment will be before I close the deal.

(thumbs u

Not enough for you to sell without any fees here, you need to throw 3% on top? :facepalm:

Not enough that you're running a business out of your bedroom with zero overheads, you need to throw 3% on top? :facepalm:

Not enough that you're not declaring your profits to the tax man, you need to throw 3% on top? :facepalm:

:grin::applause:

My feeling is that if someone charges a set price for a book and then adds the fees, they are trying to make the book SOUND cheaper than it really is. If the book won't sell at a specific price including the PP fees, then it's not priced correctly, or no one here is collecting that book right now and it should be listed elsewhere.

I ignore those threads. I just don't want to encourage them.

Blunter than I would say it but I agree 100%.

I did have an experience with one seller on here who was jumping for joy when he first discovered Paypal Personal. Look, I've found out how to avoid fees! :whee: Do you want me to show you? Not really. I'm not a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point, and I'm not a cheapskate.

I'm going to take the other side of the argument here. In many cases, Boardies are offering up books at or below their cost, just to move them. I don't see anything wrong with someone asking to cover the PP fees if they are just trying to break even on a book, or worse, if they are actually taking a loss.

In any event, as buyers we weigh the actual cost vs. what we think is fair. If the book is something I want, and/or is otherwise a tough book to come by, I'll buy it and pay the fees. It its rather common, and the price + fees isn't a great deal, chances are I'll pass.

However, I never pass judgement on someone that asks for the fees, nor ignore their thread completely. To me, that type of "screw you" type of judgement is by far the greater of two evils.

I'm evil!!! :devil:

I pay all my "sellers" fees.

It's the cost of doing business.

I prefer not to nickel and dime.

As a seller if I'm giving a great deal I've learned to ask what the payment will be before I close the deal.

^^

I have NEVER asked for anyone to pay me the PayPal fees. EVER. Nor will I do so. It is the COST of doing business. Next thing will be the asking for the eBay fees...

This business about "losing $$$ on books"...that is the risk YOU undertook diving headfirst in this hobby/business/whatever.

Yes, I have paid a few Sellers their "fees" from time to time because I wanted the books, but I avoid them later on.

CAL lurks from time to time...

If a seller is going to squeeze a deal for that 3% on the price, what sort of defects can they ignore in the book to make the book grade just a little bit higher or what is the bare minimum of packing material necessary to ship it?

It's technically against Paypal's user agreement. https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

After flying for nearly an entire day, I walked into a Hong Kong hotel and reached for the bottle of evian on the desk only to warned by my Wife to check the price first.

$13 for a bottle of evian! I call it naive water now.

I was thirsty that day my friends.

I just noticed that!

:o