• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider Man #3 variants only known copies

54 posts in this topic

Mike told me about this thread and asked for my comment. So here goes…

I can't say that this is "rare" or if it's worth what it's currently bid up to - although I have an opinion.

Mostly, I'm curious as to why the green label.

Very good question. This book got a Qualified label because a color was missed during the manufacturing process. It is the same reason for Solar’s example:

On a similar note, I recieved a qualified lable on a Harbinger 4 with the blank coupon error. Seems like major manufacturing errors bring out the dreaded GLOD.

Solar's Harbinger #4 missed black ink on the coupon. So it got a Qualified MANUFACTURING ERROR (I'm not shouting, caps is code for Qualified).

Where does that leave Venom: Lethal Protector #1 Black Cover/Printing Error and the Bloodshot #0 Platinum Printing Error? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When CGC came into the comic market, these two books were touted as "Variants" not manufacturing errors. CGC adapted to the market standards and treated them as such. Thus, these manufacturing errors were treated as "Variants" and the defects treated as if they were done on purpose.

Note the difference in terms. Printing Error vs. MANUFACTURING ERROR. Difference in definition, none except-- former is Universal, the later is Qualified.

Supa:

i baffled too, if this is a manufacturing error then why not the same for multiple cover books?

The same applies for double cover books. CGC came into a market place where there already was an accepted way to deal with them and we adjusted as necessary.

Hope that helps. juggle.gif

That makes sense. CGC respects the history of previous "variants" by using a Universal, but for new books with no lineage, uses the Qualified to denote printing errors and defects.

Some may not agree with the policy, but at least it's an answer. thumbsup2.gif

On the CGC website, it says:

A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description. For example, it is would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear."

Out of curiousity, what would these books have been graded if not for the error?

Also, why would a double cover book need a qualified label if it doesn't affect the grade of the book?

Also, why would a double cover book need a qualified label if it doesn't affect the grade of the book?

Since when does a double cover warrant a Qualified label??...I just got a Universal double cover back last month....

Since when does a double cover warrant a Qualified label??...I just got a Universal double cover back last month....

I inferred that Plitch's post indicated that if not for common marketplace acceptance of double cover comic books as a variant, then CGC would have labeled them as qualified.

I can't say that this is "rare" or if it's worth what it's currently bid up to - although I have an opinion.

Very good question. This book got a Qualified label because a color was missed during the manufacturing process. It is the same reason for Solar’s example:

On a similar note, I recieved a qualified lable on a Harbinger 4 with the blank coupon error. Seems like major manufacturing errors bring out the dreaded GLOD.

Solar's Harbinger #4 missed black ink on the coupon. So it got a Qualified MANUFACTURING ERROR (I'm not shouting, caps is code for Qualified).

Where does that leave Venom: Lethal Protector #1 Black Cover/Printing Error and the Bloodshot #0 Platinum Printing Error? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When CGC came into the comic market, these two books were touted as "Variants" not manufacturing errors. CGC adapted to the market standards and treated them as such. Thus, these manufacturing errors were treated as "Variants" and the defects treated as if they were done on purpose.

Note the difference in terms. Printing Error vs. MANUFACTURING ERROR. Difference in definition, none except-- former is Universal, the later is Qualified.

Supa:

i baffled too, if this is a manufacturing error then why not the same for multiple cover books?

The same applies for double cover books. CGC came into a market place where there already was an accepted way to deal with them and we adjusted as necessary.

If the Venom/Bloodshot books were thought of as variants, then why don't the labels reflect that and indicate that they are variants? As opposed to being printing errors? I understand the thinking but it seems as if the labels are contradictory.

If the Venom/Bloodshot books were thought of as variants, then why don't the labels reflect that and indicate that they are variants? As opposed to being printing errors? I understand the thinking but it seems as if the labels are contradictory.

I think because in some circles, certain printing errors (such as the one aforementioned) are considered variants. They are not mutually exclusive of one another. A variant is just a deviation from a standard. What matters is the value the collecting community places on such variations.

Supa:

I agree. I don't see the distinction. All the GLOD does is create an unnecessary stigma around the book. IMO the book should go in a blue label just like the Venom Black Cover and the Bloodshot. No good reason to treat them separately. What if the "market" accepts these books as variants? They are not significantly less common than the Bloodshot printing error book, which has 5 or 6 copies known.

You have failed to satisfy me, PLITCH!!!! makepoint.gif

flowerred.gif

PLitch,

I think 'the market' is speaking here,

and it's saying, 'Put 'em all in blue labels with the appropriate notations and we'll sort 'em out!' tonofbricks.gif

Keep the green for the quarterly hair hue transformation! makepoint.gif

I've got a bunch of comics with printing errors actually (Silver Surfer #50 and Deathmate Prologues.)

So what everyone is saying is that these will get green labels with Manufacturing Error printed on the labels? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've got a small number (15-20) of some of the early Solson Nija Turtle books with covers that were inadvertingly printed in BW instead of color.Out of some 65,000 printed,it is thought less than 200 exist with BW covers. Now I'm told these will get Green Labels? Its a good thing I don't have any kids to put thru school. foreheadslap.gif37333

Wow.

While I appreciate this has become a bigger issue than me plugging my auction, I just want to make it clear that's all I was doing.

I realize that debate is good, but I just wanted people that were interested to see these books. I do not have a problem with the green label. The bidders seem to be ok with it as well.

To date, I have been nothing but pleased with the services CGC has provided

Isn't "dicktoe" a venereal disease?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I sure wouldn't want to be involved with anyone that had a case of "dicktoe".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello Mr. "DiceX",

It's this kind of thing that makes me not want to post on message boards.

All the same, I have a feeling that you would be lucky to be involved with anyone.

-Ramona

Hello Mr. "DiceX",

It's this kind of thing that makes me not want to post on message boards.

All the same, I have a feeling that you would be lucky to be involved with anyone.

-Ramona

OWW! OW OWWWWW!

Can't you take a joke?

sorry.gif

Of course I can.

Apparently you can't. No harm. No foul.

I assure you that I was not offended by your comment.

thumbsup2.gif

Now go sell your books. I have them in my watch list.

popcorn.gif