• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw 'The Hobbit' tonight...(Spoiler free)

261 posts in this topic

Saw it tonight...awesome. Not too long and was greatly action-packed. Somehow Jackson made the humor that seemed corny in the novel seem not so corny.

It's hard to see them not finishing the entire content of the Hobbit novel in the second film. I'm thinking the third film is going to have a lot of newly-written content to fill in gaps between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. The scene with Galadriel and Saruman seemed tailored to set that bit up since neither of them were ever in "The Hobbit"

It's hard to see them not finishing the entire content of the Hobbit novel in the second film.

I agree. The business with the necromancer will probably be the entire third movie I'm guessing. By then the movie will be about everything BUT the hobbit.

Hey all --

I liked the movie as well, though it dragged at times...not sure that the third movie won't be still based on the novel, however. This first film covered about 100 pages of the original text, with another 155 pages to go...the next movie focuses on Smaug and the third the Battle of the Five Armies, perhaps. I'm sure there will be LOTR filler as well, but perhaps not quite as much as we fear...

Dan

I agree, and this is coming from someone that HATES 3D and movie gimmicks in general. I hope they offer HFR in the future WITHOUT 3D. That's where it SHOULD be going.

I think a lot of the reason it's being pushed as the next big thing is that makes 3D better so for the time being at least I imagine that's the only place we'll see it.

I enjoyed the movie. I have to say that the 3D was the best I've seen to date. It didn't look like 3d for the most part.

i'm cool with radagast keeping birds under his hat. thats kinda cute and real protective of him. a real woodlands buddy. However he's not allowed over for dinner until he takes a shower and promises to keep the bird dupe in check.

i'm cool with radagast keeping birds under his hat. thats kinda cute and real protective of him. a real woodlands buddy. However he's not allowed over for dinner until he takes a shower and promises to keep the bird dupe in check.

Jackson showing a huge trail of white bird poop going down the side of his head was a particularly nice touch. :sick:

Radagast.jpg

I'm thinking of seeing this today. Is the 48fps 3D version the preferred version?

It takes a little getting used to, but I am glad I saw it in 48fps 3D. It makes the whole story world a little more substantial and overall, it's just an interesting experience. After the movie, I did have to decompress a bit before getting back to reality (you might want to walk around for 15 minutes before driving your car!).

I liked the Monty Python-ness of that character, as well as the reference to his fondness for mushrooms.

I liked the Monty Python-ness of that character, as well as the reference to his fondness for mushrooms.

Yup. I thought the way they portrayed him was brilliant.

I want a rabbit sled. That thing was fast as hell.

Was Radagast a hobbit? I don't think twelve rabbits would cut it for toting around the average comic book collector...I'm thinking it'd take more like 200 to get that same super-fast rate of speed. :blush:

Was Radagast a hobbit? I don't think twelve rabbits would cut it for toting around the average comic book collector...I'm thinking it'd take more like 200 to get that same super-fast rate of speed. :blush:

no he was a wizard from gandalf's order.

no he was a wizard from gandalf's order.

And I think they were giant rabbits. You know a lot of people thought the rabbit sled was a little too silly and over the top---and it was--but the truth is the Hobbit book does have a lot of talking and otherwise anthropomormic animals in it.

Jackson showing a huge trail of white bird poop going down the side of his head was a particularly nice touch. :sick:

Radagast.jpg

So THAT'S what that was! :roflmao: