• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw 'The Hobbit' tonight...(Spoiler free)

261 posts in this topic

Aw man not getting previews at the IMAX sucks. Maybe they are trying to maximize the number of screenings?

PS your sig line is awesome.

Thanks! Yea I don't know if it is every IMAX or just my local one. Oh well.. guess that just means I will just have to go see it again at a different theater!

I saw it this evening in IMAX 3D HFR and it had 3D previews of Oz, Man of Steel, and of course Star Trek.

I've never experienced anything like this film in the 3D format and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me about 10 minutes or so to get used to the HFR and from that point on, I was immersed. :grin:

I saw it in regular 2D and enjoyed it.

However, I just realized the LORD OF THE RINGS is just an extended update of THE HOBBIT... I read the former a couple of decades ago, and had forgotten much of the story, but now after watching this movie it's amazing how similar the two are. Almost the same bloody plot and series of events.

Fun nonetheless.

Pretty meh.

Saw it today and have to say, unfortunately, I agree with this assessment.

I really wanted to love this movie, but it didn't grab me the way Fellowship did. It looked great and the acting was decent, but something WAS missing. It felt like all they did was run/fight/run/fight/run/etc. Also it didn't feel "real". These dwarves weren't the warriors that were part of the Fellowship and yet they manage to save themselves from trolls, wargs, orcs, and a butt load of goblins. And not one death. It just wasn't believable. One of them should've been a "red shirt". And the meeting between Gollum and Bilbo felt strange. A riddle contest? Really?? I imagined something far different.

I just hope something changes in the second one. :wishluck:

I agree with the lack of realism in regards to the dwarves' ability to escape every encounter in which they are heavily outmatched unscathed (Is it the same in the book? I don't recall.). The movie itself overall had a family-type movie vibe to it, despite the violence, compared to the LotR trilogy, which I accepted, since THE HOBBIT was a book for kids.

I agree with the lack of realism in regards to the dwarves' ability to escape every encounter in which they are heavily outmatched unscathed (Is it the same in the book? I don't recall.). The movie itself overall had a family-type movie vibe to it, despite the violence, compared to the LotR trilogy, which I accepted, since THE HOBBIT was a book for kids.
I saw decapitations (granted not gory, but there nonetheless)...good for a ten year old plus.

Saw it on IMAX 3D HFR and my eyes did not strain! First 3d movie I've EVER seen without the strain...

Saw previews for The Host (Body Snatchers rip off), After Earth (Will Smith Sci Fi), Oblivion (Tom Cruise Sci Fi), Man of Steel, Lone Ranger...no Star Trek. Looks like Sci Fi will be strong in 2013.

I actually thought the pacing and action was very well thought out---it got a bit nuts at the end but everything went according to plan from my perspective. Golem's eyes glazing in the dark was just creepy. Scene with him expertly done, as it also explains Bilbo getting the ring on and understanding its power.

I agree with others that there are striking parallels here, but then again so are 99% of movies--good, bad, and the conflict.

Looking forward to the next movie--not sure how they are planning to fill in the next two--not enough content from where I sit.

Bottom line---there's NOTHING wrong with this movie...build up on how the Dwarfs meet up with Baggins is great, there's also a bit of proving to do on Baggins part...and it's wonderfully done. A great introduction to the characters and looking forward to their further adventures...with SMAUG.

I saw the Hobbit yesterday afternoon at the IMAX 3D with the HFR and I liked the movie a lot.

It took me few minutes to get used to the higher frame rate but when I did, it was simply INCREDIBLE.

I got a little vertigo at first, so I closed my eyes for a few seconds, opened them again and got a tiny bit dizzy the second time, closed my eyes again for a few seconds and after that I was fine. The realism does jump out at you and sometimes I felt like I could reach out with my hand and touch the characters.

All in all I LOVED it and I plan on watching it again before it's taken out of theatres.

I was only going to see the film in the standard frame rate but my friend really wanted to see it at the HFR of 48fps so I gave in and a saw it. Sure glad I did.

As for the movie itself, it did drag a little in a couple of spots, but I didn't mind.

I read the book and of course the LOTR trilogy long ago so I kind of expected it. There was still plenty of excitement to keep you interested and keep you in your seat from having to go get another bag of popcorn.

There is a nice ending to lead you into the 2nd movie(whenever it comes out?).

GO SEE IT! If you liked the LOTR movies then you should like the Hobbit as well.

Okay, my son and I went back tonight to see it again---this time in 48fps. It was spectacular. I wish we had seen that way the first time. It is definitely a better experience. The 3D looked more natural than in any other 3D movie I have ever seen. The "layered" effect that you often get with most 3D movies (including this one in 28fps) was no longer there. I was able to see details I had missed before and the CGI looked more real. If you have the choice I would highly recommend going with the 48fps as that is the way this is meant to be seen.

I agree, and this is coming from someone that HATES 3D and movie gimmicks in general. I hope they offer HFR in the future WITHOUT 3D. That's where it SHOULD be going.

I think a lot of the reason it's being pushed as the next big thing is that makes 3D better so for the time being at least I imagine that's the only place we'll see it.