• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some advice on selling OA

11 posts in this topic

I have a near complete or maybe complete story from Giant Size Dracula #4 (March, 1975) including the page 1 splash. I want to sell these pages, but not sure of the best way nor do I know the value. The pencils were done by Don Heck.

Any thoughts on the best way to sell these? Ebay as one lot, or separate pages? Any interest here?

Any guidance will be helpful.

Thanks!

Rac

If the story is not complete, then you'd be best off selling the pages individually, and I'd say you should stagger the release of the pages, so if you have let's say 20 pages, if you put them all up for auction at once, then your ability generate the most amount of money diminishes since if you have a fan of "Dracula" or "Don Heck", for which there's not a huge fan base of either I'd speculate, is limited and what happens is the mediocre pages get bypassed for the better ones and the total amount of bidding dollars available gets split up.

You need to release the pages slowly, and generally, a strategy is to release them one at a time with the worst page first which establishes the benchmark of the estimated value for the future pages.

I remember when the X-MEN #1 book was split up and sold on Heritage, a few of my peer collectors were eyeing specific pages, yet there were so many to choose from that it's my belief that the seller would have garnered greater revenue had he (or she) sold one page per auction and not flood the marketplace with so many choices.

If you sell on ebay yourself, you should ensure you take good clear photos of the front and back of the pages, close ups of the panels and disclose the condition, if any damages. The worst favor you could do for yourself is advertise (which is essentially what eBay is, an electronic classified ad) poorly with a lack of photos and descriptions.

I'm not sure if these pages are worthy of Heritage nor Comiclink, other than possibly the splash page. I could be wrong since I also know that there's been recent strong interest in Bronze Age Marvel original artwork by non-all-star artists names like Don Heck, Rich Buckler, Keith Pollard, Sal Buscema, etc. who aren't quite the tier 1 names that are more highly collected.

Great advice AKA Rick, that would be my advice and my own approach as well.

The only flaw is that the splitting up and selling slowly might not work as well if people know you have almost the whole book, and might wait for the better pages when they are sold later.

Good luck on your sale

Regards,

Malvin

I'm not sure if these pages are worthy of Heritage nor Comiclink, other than possibly the splash page. I could be wrong since I also know that there's been recent strong interest in Bronze Age Marvel original artwork by non-all-star artists names like Don Heck, Rich Buckler, Keith Pollard, Sal Buscema, etc. who aren't quite the tier 1 names that are more highly collected.

Between it being Heck and Dracula I am not even sure the splash would make it in Heritage or Clink.

Thanks for the advice, I will take it into consideration. Yeah, I don't think these pages are auction house or Clink worthy... I hope they find a good home. I've had the pages for a while and want to trim my collection down to focus on Spidey and Hobgoblin.

Thanks again!!

Great advice AKA Rick, that would be my advice and my own approach as well.

The only flaw is that the splitting up and selling slowly might not work as well if people know you have almost the whole book, and might wait for the better pages when they are sold later.

Good luck on your sale

Regards,

Malvin

Yeah I would suggest a hybrid approach. Four or five pages at a time with a mix of quality ranges.

Sal Buscema is to John Buscema, what Frank Stallone is to Sylvester Stallone... all accomplished talent, but even without comparison to their sibling peers, still sub-par, as not everyone can be "A-List, All-Star or a Hall of Famer" nor can every piece be called "a grail" so that's just more my opinion 'tho on where I place Sal in comparison to his peers of that era like John Byrne, Frank Miller, Gil Kane, George Perez, Walt Simonson and others on my personal artists all-star roster...

Inon-all-star artists names like ... Sal Buscema

you had me until this ... Sal Buscema is a non-all-star?!?!?!

Sal Buscema is to John Buscema, what Frank Stallone is to Sylvester Stallone... all accomplished talent, but even without comparison to their sibling peers, still sub-par, as not everyone can be "A-List, All-Star or a Hall of Famer" nor can every piece be called "a grail" so that's just more my opinion 'tho on where I place Sal in comparison to his peers of that era like John Byrne, Frank Miller, Gil Kane, George Perez, Walt Simonson and others on my personal artists all-star roster...

I agree. Sal Buschema always put out solid work, and lots of it, but he's not an A list talent / all star.