• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Birthday Threads

147 posts in this topic

You are not the only person, but you're close.

Fair enough. I'll try to be less bothered if it's just me.

I just don't see the need for half the threads on the first page to be related to birthdays. (shrug)

I understand your concern,and if people don't like it I will stop. (shrug)

That's why I asked. It's excessive to me.

I appreciate the intentions, but I don't see the point of starting dozens of threads. It's not like the search engine here needs any extra stress either.

And if you wish everyone a happy birthday, it doesn't mean as much when you wish me one. :foryou:

I think it's just being respectful,and recognizing fellow board members on their day.

This thread is just aching for a poll. ;)

I should have put one up! I don't think it's possible to add one after the fact though?

Get over it.

I agree, James. People really do need to "get over" birthdays. :applause:

Maybe from now on people need to apply for membership, and having it granted if they're born on a day not shared by many current members.

Perhaps whichever day of the year has the most Boardie Births should be the ceiling. No one else born on that day may join. Membership will from then on be granted to people born on the remaining days of the year until they are filled.

Either that, or you could relax and go with it. Birthdays are cool :headbang:

Maybe from now on people need to apply for membership, and having it granted if they're born on a day not shared by many current members.

I like where you're going with this...

All kidding aside, I don't want to see half of the Comics General forum filled with happy birthday threads when I visit.

I don't think they add anything to the conversation about comics (not that this thread does either sadly).

If I'm really the only person who feels that way, then I guess I'm out of luck.

Thanks for listening to me complain at least. :)

Birthday threads are ok except for when someone bumps a whole load of them when the day has already passed. Then it gets on my nerves.

But don't dare say anything against birthday threads, you'll never hear the end of it. I started a thread like this once. :tonofbricks:

You're welcome ;)

And just because it's the Holidays, I'll wish all BD Boardies a HBD right here, and won't bump any HBD threads (today) :foryou:

But don't dare say anything against birthday threads, you'll never hear the end of it. I started a thread like this once. :tonofbricks:

It looks like I've dug my own grave if that's the case. doh!

It just reminds me of how my email inbox gets flooded once every year with birthday wishes from businesses and charities. Give me a break. It's not ingenuous.

And unless we're close friends, it doesn't mean anything. :makepoint:

You're welcome ;)

And just because it's the Holidays, I'll wish all BD Boardies a HBD right here, and won't bump any HBD threads (today) :foryou:

Thank you. (thumbs u

That's what holiday cheer is all about!

I see it as a nice way to foster community, makes it more personal. It's exponentially better than the forums that send you the generated email at midnight on your birthday.

(thumbs u

Happy birthday, Marvelfangirl! :applause:

Happy birthday, Sandflea! (thumbs u

Happy birthday, TheWatcher! :golfclap:

Happy birthday, NamesJay! :grin:

Happy birthday, faster friends! :whee:

Happy birthday, Chris S! :)

Happy birthday, USCMitch! :banana:

Happy birthday, greggy, you dork. :(

Happy birthday to anyone I might have missed! :D

I've been a member for less than six months but my birthday was recognized not only by new friends but by boardies I've only just met, it was a great gesture and made me feel welcome. It made me feel like I was part of a community. I'm shocked anyone would think birthday threads are a bad idea.

Perhaps if you want other threads to be on the first page you should contribute more than 150 posts in a year. :shrug: