• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

Just now, littledoom said:

How had it been able to stay unnoticed for so long??

I know, right? I have a full high grade set of SSS and have never read any of them. I got them 17 years ago  because I thought they had potential.  They were very affordable then and I knew they are very uncommon in decent shape. They were for a younger market  and most serious collectors didn't want them including me when I was young.

25 minutes ago, littledoom said:

cuz nobody actually reads these comics? I actually read the Thanos copter one. I am not sure why. It made about as much sense as one of those hostess fruit pie ads that are a one page comic.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

cuz nobody actually reads these comics? I actually read the Thanos copter one. I am not sure why. It made about as much sense as one of those hostess fruit pie ads that are a one page comic.

This title sells very well, look at sold listings on ebay. page after page...  First appearances, significant facts, early character appearances are never out of style. tons of  interior art/covers by the greats such as  Romita Sr.

7 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

This title sells very well, look at sold listings on ebay. page after page...  First appearances, significant facts, early character appearances are never out of style. tons of  interior art/covers by the greats such as  Romita Sr.

Other than a couple of issues it was dead for a long time, but no longer, that's for sure

19 hours ago, Warlord said:

SSS#11 is a first Spider-Woman.  Not the character we all know as Spider-Woman.   She picks up Spidey's costume, modifies it, attaches suction cups, and off she goes to fight super-villains.  Ambitious, but a totally different character and abilities.   (until or unless there's a retcon!)   That doesn't mean that increasing attention to the issue won't drive up the price, as FlyingDonut just demonstrated, but if reality sinks in then the price will probably sink too.

SSS11.jpg.00a3a0cf17fef5bca1016d3970578e0e.jpg

Maybe there will be a retcon revealing this was actually Misty Knight.

15 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Maybe there will be a retcon revealing this was actually Misty Knight.

I believe she is Valerie the librarian? She is also from the TV show of the time (Children's Television Workshop).  Actress Hattie Mae Winston.

Edited by comic_memories

16 hours ago, batmiesta said:

So they paid nearly $400 for that? I am lost for words. o.O

Well there are more pages than just that one. And when you put them all together they create a story. Some of these "comics" sell for thousands! :wink:

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

I've bought and sold these for a few years strictly because of that.

Edited by ygogolak

4 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Because books written for kids just learning to read, done in the most 70's style possible, deliberately trying to introduce said young readers to new characters and aspects of the Marvel universe in every issue, and featuring the characters from the Electric Company, is a recipe for one of the most awesomely deranged comics ever created.  The Thanos Coptor, while admittedly a high point, really isn't that much weirder than a typical issue.  I love the whole series, and it features a lot of early appearances of characters shortly after they first appear In other books.

In fact, if anybody else ever releases another comic with a drawing of Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader on the cover of every issue, I'll buy that series as well!

21 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Well there are more pages than just that one. And when you put them all together they create a story. Some of these "comics" sell for thousands! :wink:

I've bought and sold these for a few years strictly because of that.

So! Why don't surrounding issues sell for $300/$400 ?