• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

Here, watch, I'll come up with another random issue off the top of my head, having no clue what's in it:

Daredevil #127 is the next Hulk #271.

HYPE HYPE HYPE! :banana: I attempted that with the Fun and Games #8 as the third Groot. All the US copies for sale disappeared from EBay. lol

BUY BUY BUY!

;)

The next book after that is Fantastic Four #204 (disclaimer for Silverdream: I have no idea what happens in that book, and randomly pulled it out of thin air.)

ACTUALLY....

There ARE quite a few Bronze Age first appearances...and of fairly important characters...that don't get (as) much love.

Spotlight #32, X-Men #107, X-Men #109, X-Men #121, Astonishing Tales #25 (this has been rectified a bit since the Shield series), Spotlight #2, etc.

Let Marvel make an Alpha Flight movie, and #120-121 become $1,000+ books again in 9.8.

Captain America #208 is the first appearance of a substantial Marvel movie villain as well.

Good pick. I also originally came in this thread to mention Spotlight #32 is starting to get some attention. Probably because they are talking about a female solo movie. It's a damn hard book to find in high grade too.

Keep an eye on Marvel Presents #3. GOTG begins and 1st Novacore. Full disclosure-I own zero copies, but I sold a 7.0 raw for a hair under $15 last week on ebay. I might try to pick up a few nicer copies.

Good pick as well.

Exxxxcellent. My plan is working....

Congratulations. I spent 5 minutes earlier today researching that book because you mentioned it. Nearly bought one too. lol

Damn you RMA. Damn you.

You wanna know the best part...?

I literally pulled that issue out of thin air. Had no clue what was in it.

But watch...

:cloud9:

It wouldn't have worked without an obscure first appearance.

The odds of randomly selecting such a book is very, very low.

so ... :eyeroll:

And yet, that's precisely what happened.

Why are you calling me a liar? Especially over such an utterly inconsequential fact, about a book about which no one cares, and has little redeeming quality, especially in light of my beyond obvious tongue-in-cheek "attempt" to "create buzz"?

Just so you understand, it is *difficult* to pick Bronze books that do NOT feature the first appearance of some random new superhero/villain. Marvel especially was throwing everything AND the kitchen sink at the wall during this period, to see what would stick. It's something that makes Bronze so unique.

Some people don't understand boundaries.

I shoulda just gone with "hey, whaddaya know, I beat the odds! I should play the lottery!"

:ohnoez:

Here, watch, I'll come up with another random issue off the top of my head, having no clue what's in it:

HYPE HYPE HYPE! :banana: I attempted that with the Fun and Games #8 as the third Groot. All the US copies for sale disappeared from EBay. lol

BUY BUY BUY!

;)

The next book after that is Fantastic Four #204 (disclaimer for Silverdream: I have no idea what happens in that book, and randomly pulled it out of thin air.)

Daredevil 127 looks awesome... continuation of a story from 126 where the identity of Torpedo changes. You could say that 126/127 is basically the same as Hulk 180/181 in terms of cameo/first full appearance. It's within the realm of possibility that Torpedo will be a character in an upcoming movie/TV show/mass hallucination, so buy them now!

OMG! Fantastic Four 204 is guaranteed hot! The next key for Guardians of the Galaxy 2! First appearance of: Queen Adora and Nova Prime, aka Tanak Valt, founder of the Nova Corps!

Marvel wikia

RMA's completely right on this topic, it's too easy to build up hype for virtually any random Bronze Age Marvel. Every book was a first appearance or key story development. :cloud9:

i didn't know there was an issue on Gamora's first full appearance. i thought all the while it was Strange Tales 180

If you read both issues, 180 comes off more like a cameo and her name isn't revealed until #181

Sorry fellas, I agree with CGC ST 180 is the first appearance Gamora not cameo. She is talking and shown in multiple panels and key part in the current story. No way CGC changes this.

reference: similar issue

iron man 118

There is not much dispute on this one, 180 is first.

I agree with the contention that #180 is more of a cameo appearance. Just read them recently, and came away with that perspective.

RMA do you know a book that has similar character appearance that was labeled Cameo? when I say similar, I am not talking the last page or where the story refers to a book that wasn't released in local comic shops yet.

Omega Men #3. His first "full" appearance isn't until #10.

X-Men #120. Alpha appears on several pages within the story.

That's just off the top of my head.

Yeah, but Lobo is the centerpiece of the cover on Omega Men 3...a little different

ASM 172. First appearance of Rocket Racer. Spidey's sidekick/best buddy in the next movie as both Petey and him (Robert Farrell) are scientific prodigies (so it will be reworked for them to meet at ESU). The Spidey movies have been lilly white (well, I didn't see the last one, was electro black? couldn't tell with all that static), so they need to do something about that for the sake of demographics. Keep your eye out for any good 1st of Mexican american super heroes or villians for the next spidey movie after that. The Tarantula is kind of lame, but maybe they give him a healing factor, an admantium mustache and lazer blasters on his toes?

$200 book, easy (full dislosure: I probably own about 9 copies of this, but the same can be said of most spideys from this era)

Edited by the blob

BUY BUY BUY!

;)

I doubt that as even I know why someone might care about that one. A couple of weeks ago when I was reading about Glenn Close's character and the Nova Corps (and looked that up because I didn't remember when that stuff started as it is such a total rip-off of the GL corps it isn't even funny) and all that even I wondered whether 204 (or 205) might be a good book to hoard, but since I don't feel like paying to buy them on line and ship them to me I never got around to it. For all I know I have 20 copies of each already, need to look around. Definitely have a few. Probably won't go anywhere but I am shocked at how well Nova 1 has done. This was no exactly a low print-run book.

Defenders #28 makes no mention of Starhawk on the CGC label.

CGC has omitted this information on so many minor firsts and cameos it isn't funny. Then again, that's not what you're paying them for.

He has a cameo in 27 and in 28 he is front and center on the cover and it says "ENTER STARHAWK!"

Maybe CGC considers 27 his first full (OPG does not), I can't find any slabs of 27 out there.

CGC has omitted this information on so many minor firsts and cameos it isn't funny. Then again, that's not what you're paying them for.

He has a cameo in 27 and in 28 he is front and center on the cover and it says "ENTER STARHAWK!"

Maybe CGC considers 27 his first full (OPG does not), I can't find any slabs of 27 out there.

Neither could I.

Yes, CGC has omitted a lot of this information, maybe to protect themselves from a character popping up in a panel somewhere.

Starhawk has a page in #27, but I can't remember if he is called out by name. I don't think he is.

i didn't know there was an issue on Gamora's first full appearance. i thought all the while it was Strange Tales 180

If you read both issues, 180 comes off more like a cameo and her name isn't revealed until #181

Sorry fellas, I agree with CGC ST 180 is the first appearance Gamora not cameo. She is talking and shown in multiple panels and key part in the current story. No way CGC changes this.

iron man 118

I agree with the contention that #180 is more of a cameo appearance. Just read them recently, and came away with that perspective.

RMA do you know a book that has similar character appearance that was labeled Cameo? when I say similar, I am not talking the last page or where the story refers to a book that wasn't released in local comic shops yet.

Yeah, but Lobo is the centerpiece of the cover on Omega Men 3...a little different

That's my point.

He's on the cover, and its STILL called a "cameo".

How much more so Gamora, who doesn't appear on the cover, and is only on a few pages?

iron man 118

That's my point.

How much more so Gamora, who doesn't appear on the cover, and is only on a few pages?

But CGC says #3 is the 1st app of Lobo, not a cameo. 5 and 9 are cameos. That's been considered his first since like the early 90s whenever anyone actually gave a hoot about that issue and has been listed as such in OPG forever. I know because that's when I started hoarding it! He's in like 5 pages, that's 1/4 of the comic.

iron man 118

That's my point.

But CGC says #3 is the 1st app of Lobo, not a cameo. 5 and 9 are cameos. That's been considered his first since like the early 90s whenever anyone actually gave a hoot about that issue and has been listed as such in OPG forever. I know because that's when I started hoarding it! He's in like 5 pages, that's 1/4 of the comic.

I agree, but it's hard to shake the OPG perception of years. They put "1st App Lobo Cameo", and that's what stuck in people's heads.

Just an example of one man's cameo being another man's full appearance.

iron man 118

That's my point.

I agree, but it's hard to shake the OPG perception of years. They put "1st App Lobo Cameo", and that's what stuck in people's heads.

Just an example of one man's cameo being another man's full appearance.

Who said? My 2010 OPG says its the first app, not a cameo. I don't have older OPGs sitting around the office, maybe in 1995 it was different.

X-Men Annual 14 is the bigger bit of ridiculosity, but at least he's not on the cover or, if he is, you don't know who he is.

(Full disclosure: I own "a few" copies of X-Men Annual 14 and only 2 copies of X-Men 266...)

I doubt that as even I know why someone might care about that one. A couple of weeks ago when I was reading about Glenn Close's character and the Nova Corps (and looked that up because I didn't remember when that stuff started as it is such a total rip-off of the GL corps it isn't even funny) and all that even I wondered whether 204 (or 205) might be a good book to hoard, but since I don't feel like paying to buy them on line and ship them to me I never got around to it. For all I know I have 20 copies of each already, need to look around. Definitely have a few. Probably won't go anywhere but I am shocked at how well Nova 1 has done. This was no exactly a low print-run book.

This is a very superficial comment, and we know actual value has nothing to do with hype and speculation. That story arc is probably one of the best Fantastic Four stories ever, especially as

little by little Sue, the Thing and Reed approach death, and are put in suspended animation by Johnny which is desperately trying to find a cure for the Skrulls' aging ray. Not to mention the whole wrap-up of the final Nova storyline magistrally orchestrated by Wolfman.

And it has nothing to do with the Green Lantern Corps.

Neither could I.

Yes, CGC has omitted a lot of this information, maybe to protect themselves from a character popping up in a panel somewhere.

Starhawk has a page in #27, but I can't remember if he is called out by name. I don't think he is.

:popcorn:

e394c2e5e17ff678b30b449b45759d3b_zpsc82418d5.jpg[/img]