• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

I know who they are.

I have ZERO interest in owning their 1st appearance.

Simple as that. Let other people sink money in them, while I buy what I like.

There so many books I perceive as "Keys" that I can buy for $725 in high grade.

And I could care less about movie speculation on them.

People are worried the "bubble" will pop with all this madness, but short term, I think it is great.

Filling dealer's pockets with money, more books will be bought from collectors, and repeat.

Helps me find books too, maybe just not the same ones.

I hear you on that but unfortunately for me ST 169 is a book I've wanted slabbed in high grade for a while because of my love for the series, same goes for Omega the Unknown #1 which doesn't show up too often in 9.6/9.8. It's like being into an underground band for years that has small following, they explode overnight and you never get to see them in a bar or small club again (*ahem Nirvana)

Man, that's rough.

I hope you are able to find one, because I don't think it's gonna drop for quite some time.

Check out the comiclink 9.6 auction sale on the ST 169. $757. This is on the heels of a $210 sale in CGC 9.6 earlier this month. Is this real momentum or an anomaly? There is a raw copy an eBay seller is calling a 9.6 that ends tomorrow night. It's already created $200.

lol I have been after this book for over a year and I was the under bidder on the 9.8 and 9.6 on Clink. Trust me I pushed those sales to way past GPA highs. If I was not getting either book I was going to make the other guy pay. If one popped up at some under the radar site you could find it cheaper.

I wanted a HG copy because I like the art/charactor/scarcity other than that I really have no clue why it is so popular but now that cat is out of the bag everyone seems to want a copy.

Movies, movies movies!

He's been cast, I think....

Check out the comiclink 9.6 auction sale on the ST 169. $757. This is on the heels of a $210 sale in CGC 9.6 earlier this month. Is this real momentum or an anomaly? There is a raw copy an eBay seller is calling a 9.6 that ends tomorrow night. It's already created $200.

lol I have been after this book for over a year and I was the under bidder on the 9.8 and 9.6 on Clink. Trust me I pushed those sales to way past GPA highs. If I was not getting either book I was going to make the other guy pay. If one popped up at some under the radar site you could find it cheaper.

I wanted a HG copy because I like the art/charactor/scarcity other than that I really have no clue why it is so popular but now that cat is out of the bag everyone seems to want a copy.

This book has always been hard to find in high grade. Only 97 copies have been graded by cgc and only 5 copies are 9.8. This book never received much attention and that probably accounts for the low cgc submission number. I was lucky enough to get the western penn copy graded 9.2 and another copy graded 9.4. The 9.8 Suscha News copy sold over the summer for 766 dollars. I was an under bidder and thought that was crazy until the last 9.8 copy sold on clink for over 2000. So now the Suscha News copy seems like a bargain

Movies, movies movies!

He's been cast, I think....

Really that would be news to me. I'd need a link to believe that.

thanks for apology but dang this board can be brutal when folks just want to share their thoughts

No kidding. People here need to chill. Not sure if some folks are just boosting post counts (shrug)

It's a good old boy club around here, or at least that's how it seems at times. Had the right person mentioned ST169 heating up no one would have questioned it. But a sub 1000 poster? No cred in the eyes of many. "Noob".

How do we join the club? Do we have to boost post our count? lol

Just like anyone does: Make cogent, thoughtful, well-expressed posts consistently, over a period of time.

It's not rocket surgery.

Sure....

Now, let's talk about comics...

Pricey Reprint

Wow. This just sold for 4x what it was selling for slabbed last year in this grade and more than twice the only recorded GPA sale this year.

I know Black Panther is hot but... :o

I guess I can forget about grabbing any early Black Panther books Ive been hunting anytime soon.

WTF is going on with this hobby? :screwy:

another one...jeez!

The HG market for some of the overlooked BA books is as strong as ever. I imagine many of these were put in $1 bins, or not even bagged and boarded. The premium copies fetch an arm and a leg.

A couple of observations from my weekend:

1.) ST 169's seem to be popping up on EBay. There have been several new copies listed, but none appear minty. The aforementioned raw auction ended at $260. Seller was hawking as a 9.6, but threw in a few disclaimers that the grade may be closer to 9.4. I think if our man VW holds out he will score a nice one at a reasonable price. Maybe not $210 for a 9.6, but probably cheaper than the CLink sale.

2.) I came across Avengers 112-114 in one of my longboxes in 3.0-5.0 condition so I read all 3. Is it just me or does 112 & 113 seem more like a cameo? I can try to post the panels if anyone is interested. 114 is clearly a full appearance.

There are a lot of savvy collectors on these boards, I was wondering who among us would fork out these ludicrous prices for books that you could have picked up for a fraction of the price a year or so ago? I for one, would not, I would sooner go without.

I came across Avengers 112-114 in one of my longboxes in 3.0-5.0 condition so I read all 3. Is it just me or does 112 & 113 seem more like a cameo? I can try to post the panels if anyone is interested. 114 is clearly a full appearance.

And Strange Tales 180 is only a cameo of Gamora, we don't learn her name until 181, but as long as Overstreet and the CGC labels count these obvious cameos as 1st appearances, they're the books to chase.

Also 114 has Mantis on the cover, so who knows what could happen down the road

There are a lot of savvy collectors on these boards, I was wondering who among us would fork out these ludicrous prices for books that you could have picked up for a fraction of the price a year or so ago? I for one, would not, I would sooner go without.

I wouldn't. Some people only go for these books when they get hot and are forced to pony up the big bucks if they want to play.

The real trick is guessing which books can be bought that still have some appreciation left in them. If you pay $50 for a comic that goes up to $100-$200 a few months later, you did good, at least in the short term.

I know there have been comics that I have balked at because of price only to see them appreciate much, much higher months or years later. Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you. The trick is predicting which one is likely to happen on a given book

2.) I came across Avengers 112-114 in one of my longboxes in 3.0-5.0 condition so I read all 3. Is it just me or does 112 & 113 seem more like a cameo? I can try to post the panels if anyone is interested. 114 is clearly a full appearance.

The cover alone is enough of a reason to buy 114 right now if you are looking to put money into Mantis

This. In spades. :sumo:

This. In spades. :sumo:

Statement is a bit too large of a blanket for me. Everyone has different factors that go into their decision making comic purchasing processes.

I don't care what it was worth yesterday if I think I can make money on it tomorrow. Worth $2 a year ago, I buy for $10 today, but maybe I could sell for $25 a year from now when the movie debuts.

Or if my kid desperately wants the first app of Rocket Raccoon, I might get it for him if I can afford it, independent of its value a year ago.

Pretty reasonable reasons to buy a comic today that was worth only a fraction a year ago.