• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

The HG market for some of the overlooked BA books is as strong as ever. I imagine many of these were put in $1 bins, or not even bagged and boarded. The premium copies fetch an arm and a leg.

A couple of observations from my weekend:

1.) ST 169's seem to be popping up on EBay. There have been several new copies listed, but none appear minty. The aforementioned raw auction ended at $260. Seller was hawking as a 9.6, but threw in a few disclaimers that the grade may be closer to 9.4. I think if our man VW holds out he will score a nice one at a reasonable price. Maybe not $210 for a 9.6, but probably cheaper than the CLink sale.

2.) I came across Avengers 112-114 in one of my longboxes in 3.0-5.0 condition so I read all 3. Is it just me or does 112 & 113 seem more like a cameo? I can try to post the panels if anyone is interested. 114 is clearly a full appearance.

lol I already have a nice stack of them. When the 9.8 sold for 2 k the same night I went in a different direction and bought up every HG raw copy I could find including a slabbed 9.6. :devil: I'd still love to find a 9.8 bout I doubt in happens

There are a lot of savvy collectors on these boards, I was wondering who among us would fork out these ludicrous prices for books that you could have picked up for a fraction of the price a year or so ago? I for one, would not, I would sooner go without.

I agree with your sediments. If I didn't want the book a year ago at a lower price, I sure don't want the book now at a higher price.

I find it strange that collectors want a book they did not care about just because other collectors want the book. ( Squirrel Girl ) This bandwagon joining that has occurred the past few years is... astonishing. Doesn't anyone just collect what they like anymore? (shrug) I'm of the opinion many of these people are not collectors, but speculators who could care less about the comic or their content. And I say more power to them as I at least understand their mentality. It's the honest to goodness collectors who are afraid of missing the next "hot thing" that I don't understand. They are not going to flip these books, but instead are hoarding copies. Honestly, who is really going to care if you are sitting on X copies of superhero Y in 10 years? Are all the 300 or Watchmen hoarders enjoying their horde anymore now that those once hot books have fallen out of favor? It will happen to all of these books eventually (with a few minor exceptions of course.)

As for the title of this thread, it seems like Star Wars #1 9.8 has an honest to goodness potential record breaking auction going on right now (this auction has been pointed out in another thread by another boardie):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-Marvel-7-77-WHITE-PAGES-FIRST-PRINTING-/171655306446?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27f7741cce

Here is another sale from January 23rd (current record holder):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-MARVEL-1977-/151563634354?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2349e586b2

My favorite a Star Wars #1 newsstand reprint:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-Part-1-of-Star-Wars-A-New-Hope-movie-adaptation-/301460128167?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item46306c81a7

Star Wars #1 9.8 was a $500 book just 3-4 months ago.

Edited by rjrjr

Don't blink else you guys might miss another fast rising star...

Looks like Demon #1 is starting to trend up. This copy @ $10 but 30 watchers.. I'll be interested to see how high it goes before the close of auction. hm

:P

I know it's heating up because of the JLA Dark news, but the Demon is such a cool character that this shouldn't come as a total surprise.Besides Darkseid, I always thought the Demon was the most noteworthy character that Kirby created for DC, especially considering how well he has evolved over the years.

Also, while I'm sure it had a nice sized print run, I don't think it was hoarded in the numbers that Kirby's 4th World books were. Early issues were some of Kirbys best DC work.

Plus, it's a book that I always grabbed when I saw it in a long box so that's always good.

anyone else have any sediments?

There are a lot of savvy collectors on these boards, I was wondering who among us would fork out these ludicrous prices for books that you could have picked up for a fraction of the price a year or so ago? I for one, would not, I would sooner go without.

I agree with your sediments.

I think they're a bit sandy, myself.

The Star Wars #1 prices are mind blowing.

It's insane. I slabbed seven 9.8 copies about a year and a half ago. Sold two at $400, then decided to sit on the last five until the movie hit. Very glad I did. Every sale seems to hit a new high.

Captain America 168 should be taking off any minute since Zemo is "confirmed" for the next movie. Cap 275 is starting to move a bit since junior is actually in the costume in 275 for the 1st time.

Play it safe and go with both

Captain America 168 should be taking off any minute since Zemo is "confirmed" for the next movie. Cap 275 is starting to move a bit since junior is actually in the costume in 275 for the 1st time.

Play it safe and go with both

Sold on the "rumor". :grin: