• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

MJ's are pretty sought after. ASM MJ's are more sought after. MJ's are hard to get in 9.8.

THrow in a well know reputable seller, and you've got a good recipe.

I've never understood why Sparkle City raws sell for so much. The grades stated on many of their raws are overstated, all IMO of course.

MJ's are pretty sought after. ASM MJ's are more sought after. MJ's are hard to get in 9.8.

THrow in a well know reputable seller, and you've got a good recipe.

I've never understood why Sparkle City raws sell for so much. The grades stated on many of their raws are overstated, all IMO of course.

Interesting.

I've only purchased slabs from them.

Just curious why does anyone give a about a Mark Jewelers insert? Isn't that just an ad for rings?

Why would someone pay any amount of money for any collectible that doesn't have a non-functional use?

Some people derive pleasure from owning something that they perceive as rare. Some people are completionists. Those are two extremely common themes of collecting for many people. I'm surprised you've never heard of them.

If you really want to talk rare, early and tough in high grade, try finding a bronze key with an NDS insert. :tonofbricks:

-J.

Just curious why does anyone give a about a Mark Jewelers insert? Isn't that just an ad for rings?

Why would someone pay any amount of money for any collectible that doesn't have a non-functional use?

Some people derive pleasure from owning something that they perceive as rare. Some people are completionists. Those are two extremely common themes of collecting for many people. I'm surprised you've never heard of them.

+1

There's a ton of reasons TO give a about MJ variants.

Not for me personally, but I get it.

Only MJ variant that would be given about currently

Wow, for a VF- Raw?

+1

There's a ton of reasons TO give a about MJ variants.

Not for me personally, but I get it.

Only MJ variant that would be given about currently

Wow, for a VF- Raw?

Yeah, that is one tough modern book.. Im personally also on the hunt for a Batman/Superman #4 German variant.. But lets stay on track before I get too carried away here lol

Question, do all MJ variants come with the Mennen inserts?
No. I believe the Mennen inserts were only used in Marvels for a month or two in '73.

To add, all comics with a Mennen insert should have the MJ insert as well.

Edited by steveinthecity

No. I believe the Mennen inserts were only used in Marvels for a month or two in '73.

I guess my question is, did they do 2 versions of the same book with MJ at the same time? one with a Mennen and one without? Hope not too confusing

This is correct. They only appear in July, 1973 marvels to be exact.

However I do not believe they appear in conjunction with any other insert.

*Edit- Actually, yes they do appear in conjunction with the MJ insert only.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

If you really want to talk rare, early and tough in high grade, try finding a bronze key with an NDS insert. :tonofbricks:

We're talking books like HFH 1, ToD 1, MP 1, etc, right?

Those books are too late (actually the HFH 1 could conceivably have one). The NDS inserts only ran from about April 1971 and stopped completely in early 1973. So you'd be looking for an ASM 100 or an IM 55 for example.

-J.

Just picked up six long boxes of tasty Bronze. Full runs of Luke Cage :grin:, Rom :grin:, Marvel Spotlight :grin: and Marvel Premiere :grin:. Long piles of Batman :D , Detective :D , and Superman :D . Also full runs of Master of Kung Fu :eek:, Unknown Soldier :eek: and some other oddball books. Strange collecting taste, this fellow.

Any variants :baiting:

Those books are too late (actually the HFH 1 could conceivably have one). The NDS inserts only ran from about April 1971 and stopped completely in early 1973. So you'd be looking for an ASM 100 or an IM 55 for example.

-J.

NDS insert ?

-J.

NDS insert ?

National Diamond Sales insert.

The much harder to find precursor to the Mark Jewelers Insert. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

NDS insert ?

National Diamond Sales insert.

The much harder to find precursor to the Mark Jewelers Insert. (thumbs u

-J.

Thank you.

lol I'm not sure how many bona fide "keys" are even in that narrow range of April '71- April '73 when they were issued. There were even a couple of months within that time frame they weren't used at all. Most of them were brought back from overseas and are in rough shape.

But here's one that isn't:

IM55_zps88bb2d86.jpg

The star stamped on the issue number "55" also confirms the overseas provenance of this copy. :cloud9:

-J.

I think you may be mixed up:

Marvel Premiere 1 - April, 1972

Tomb of Dracula 1 - April, 1972

Hero for Hire 1 - June, 1972

Others would include Marvel Spotlight 2 (February, 1972), Marvel Spotlight 5 (August, 1972), Marvel Feature 1 (December, 1971), Defenders 1 (August, 1972), ASM 101 (October, 1971), FF 112 (July, 1971), Amazing Adventures 11 (March, 1972), and others.

Maybe nobody is selling any real keys, with the NDS insert?

I have a pile of these books I bought in big lots on eBay - I was buying picture frame books from a seller over and over, and finally he offered me the rest at a similar price. When I got them, they were military books in pretty good shape, stored well with nice color/gloss (majority probably VF, some lower, some higher) and they had NDS in them. I posted on here about a run of Marvel Tales I bought from the same guy back in the day, as those were the first to arrive.

No keys, obviously, as I don't think there are many in the PF range, but they are definitely out there. He was probably selling keys too, but at that time, I was *so* zoned into PF books that I didn't worry about anything else.

I think you may be mixed up:

Marvel Premiere 1 - April, 1972

Tomb of Dracula 1 - April, 1972

Hero for Hire 1 - June, 1972

Others would include Marvel Spotlight 2 (February, 1972), Marvel Spotlight 5 (August, 1972), Marvel Feature 1 (December, 1971), Defenders 1 (August, 1972), ASM 101 (October, 1971), FF 112 (July, 1971), Amazing Adventures 11 (March, 1972), and others.

You're right the HFH 1 I caught, I don't know why but I mis-read the tomb of Dracula as "10" and not a 1 and then glossed right over the "MP 1". Must have been some kind of weird comic book tourette's like response. lol

I know there's a boardie with a raw marvel spotlight 5 (I think Porcupine) with one, and I have never seen one in a MP 1. With the recent increased interest in that book I wouldn't mind having one in a 9.0+ if I could find one out there.

-J.