• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I suspect the Kamandi 1 at $32-something was good timing luck of seller (with a lot of similar era DC #1 in decent grades) and not indication that it's 'hot.'

Could have something to do with the Kamandi Challenge series, maybe it's happening after being talked about for months

http://www.newsarama.com/28743-dc-reveals-the-rebirth-dc-challenge.html

Wouldn't they first see if he is a popular guest appearance guy in flash/green arrow/supergirl first?

This is a pretty obscure character.

Heck, when he was in the Superfriends in the late 70s they weren't even allowed to use his name for some reason and called him Black Vulcan.

I wouldnt call Black Lightning obscure more than I would, say, Wonder Twins.. And look at how much their first appearance is going for.

TV show or not, this character is well known among people my age, I loved BL as a kid, more than I did Black Panther or Luke Cage, which I think were the only 3 major black characters on the DC/Marvel universe... Even Falcon didnt have his own title in the 70s.

Why did Black Lightning not receive as much attention is beyond me

My introduction to comics was through a science fiction/comic store where I used to get my Doctor Who stuff back in the '80s. I ended up getting a bunch of free comics at one of their trivia contests (when I got a free book for each of the Doctor Who companions I could name, and I knew them all), so I decided to sample some other books. One of my first purchases was the first 7 issues of the Baxter Outsiders series. It became my favorite series, so the Outsiders (including Black Lightning) were some of my favorite characters and will always hold a special place in my comic memories. I wish I could have met Mike W. Barr and/or Jim Aparo before either of them passed away. It would have been great to have signed copies of my original books.

Mike Barr is still alive. I met him at the Gem City Con a couple of years ago. Super nice guy.

I could have sworn I heard he passed away a few years ago. Good to know.

Isn't $32 still way under guide for a VF? I know guide is nonsense on that book, but still...

Kamandi 1 in VF guides for $46

That's what I figured. 70% of guide is not exactly shocking. I don't think that is a book I've ever gotten out of a dollar box or anything (although probably a $2 or $3 box).

Isn't $32 still way under guide for a VF? I know guide is nonsense on that book, but still...

Kamandi 1 in VF guides for $46

That's what I figured. 70% of guide is not exactly shocking. I don't think that is a book I've ever gotten out of a dollar box or anything (although probably a $2 or $3 box).

I got several cheap many years ago by responding to one of those ads, probably in CBG. Got Kamandi 1, Black Panther 1, a few issues of The Cat, and some other 70s comics that were pretty much considered to be trash back in those days.