• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Explain this one to me - why is the only character Marvel has brought to the small or big screen to have two families at the same time black?

hm? hm

Now lets go to the rap conjectures.

"this is the land of ASAP Rocky" and the biggie smalls poster? Are you kidding me?

That is new york rap apparently? Some guy that released three albums that are half POP and a guy sponsored by Ralph Lauren? And they thinking putting Method Man there in the last few episodes makes all of that ok? NO.

Luke Cake was a pandering back of garbage. I watched every episode and enjoyed it. But the plot was terrible and EMBRACED racist stereotypes.

Also the acting was terrible.

The Notorious Biggie portrait was a backdrop, used to illustrate that Cottonmouth held Biggie as some sort of idol i.e. a common theme for criminals to idolize rappers/pop stars who glamorize the criminal lifestyle.

How many "gangsta' rappers gave nods to Pacino in Scarface in their songs?

Hell, there are some rappers who use the name "Scarface".....Geto Boys lead rapper and a couple more recent rappers have adopted the Scarface nickname.IIRC, Biggie referenced Scarface in a song or two.

The show is not about "New York rap", the bulk of the music featured in the show, such as the bands who play in Cottonmouth's club, are distinctly 70's style soul.

70's soul / r&b is by its' very nature pro-black.Pro-black does not mean anti-white, either.

As far as embracing racial stereotypes.....you have no idea what you are talking about.

Look at Cage himself.Well spoken, depicted as a reader of Ralph Ellison (2nd episode showed Cage reading the The Invisible Man and another civil rights era book in another part of the episode)....everything about Cage is the polar opposite of a stereotype.

The beginning of the 2nd episode showed Cage with a gun to his head, about to be mugged by a black teenager who referred to Cage as a (N word).

The ending of the episode showed Cage's response in which he strongly rejected being called that word.In the same breath, Cage referred to a black civil rights leader, whose name was used for a focal building in the show.

Far as the acting, I'd also strongly disagree.Hell, the episode that I just referenced was very well acted.Not surprising considering it was directed by John McGuigan, who directed Gangster No.1 and Lucky Number Slevin.

If you knew a thing about modern film noir, you'd recognize that name.

Stick to peddling hot books ;)

Explain this one to me - why is the only character Marvel has brought to the small or big screen to have two families at the same time black?

hm? hm

"this is the land of ASAP Rocky" and the biggie smalls poster? Are you kidding me?

That is new york rap apparently? Some guy that released three albums that are half POP and a guy sponsored by Ralph Lauren? And they thinking putting Method Man there in the last few episodes makes all of that ok? NO.

Luke Cake was a pandering back of garbage. I watched every episode and enjoyed it. But the plot was terrible and EMBRACED racist stereotypes.

According to Facebook, it seems that nearly all of my African American friends and from high school (I am from NYC) love the show. For whatever that's worth. I don't have Netflix right now, so I have not formed an opinion.

As they rightly should, here's more on that topic.A very thoughtfully written review:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/09/30/review-luke-cage-is-the-gold-standard-for-superhero-television/amp/?client=ms-android-sprint-us

hm? hm

The Notorious Biggie portrait was a backdrop, used to illustrate that Cottonmouth held Biggie as some sort of idol i.e. a common theme for criminals to idolize rappers/pop stars who glamorize the criminal lifestyle.

How many "gangsta' rappers gave nods to Pacino in Scarface in their songs?

Hell, there are some rappers who use the name "Scarface".....Geto Boys lead rapper and a couple more recent rappers have adopted the Scarface nickname.IIRC, Biggie referenced Scarface in a song or two.

The show is not about "New York rap", the bulk of the music featured in the show, such as the bands who play in Cottonmouth's club, are distinctly 70's style soul.

70's soul / r&b is by its' very nature pro-black.Pro-black does not mean anti-white, either.

As far as embracing racial stereotypes.....you have no idea what you are talking about.

Look at Cage himself.Well spoken, depicted as a reader of Ralph Ellison (2nd episode showed Cage reading the The Invisible Man and another civil rights era book in another part of the episode)....everything about Cage is the polar opposite of a stereotype.

The beginning of the 2nd episode showed Cage with a gun to his head, about to be mugged by a black teenager who referred to Cage as a (N word).

The ending of the episode showed Cage's response in which he strongly rejected being called that word.In the same breath, Cage referred to a black civil rights leader, whose name was used for a focal building in the show.

Far as the acting, I'd also strongly disagree.Hell, the episode that I just referenced was very well acted.Not surprising considering it was directed by John McGuigan, who directed Gangster No.1 and Lucky Number Slevin.

If you knew a thing about modern film noir, you'd recognize that name.

Stick to peddling hot books ;)

one black father has been introduced into the marvel cinematic universe. And he had two families at the same time and abandoned one of his sons.

Not embracing negative black stereotypes? Seriously?

I think the people who are saying it's awful are probably the same sort that got their panties bunched up over DOJ and Suicide Squad.

Nope...I generally like everything Marvel puts out there...silver screen and Netflix.

Totally agree with AGGIEZ. And CAK, did you ever consider the people who are saying it's awful are saying that because it truly is, and those people can recognize bad acting and poor writing when they see it?

Wow, not even worth respondi . . . . ng :facepalm:

70s style soul. lol nevermind. I'm leaving this alone.

lol

first episode was decent enough. Dude playing Cottonmouth was killer in House of Cards and the strongest part of the episode. Cage's acting is pretty stiff.

ASAP is legit, though. Is it pandering? I dunno.

War is Hell #9 is doing ok in VG and above :insane:

Any bronze age comics heating up on eBay? :shrug:

lol

Yeh, Luke Cage #1!

How about this one?

Powerman 19 without the MVS!

Thanks!!!! Aaaaa+++++!!! Buyer: ( 814Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999) During past month

LUKE CAGE POWER MAN #19 June 1974 NM+ 9.6 (Q) 1st App COTTONMOUTH MARVEL Comics (#262630615719) US $36.00 View Item

I think the people who are saying it's awful are probably the same sort that got their panties bunched up over DOJ and Suicide Squad.

Nope...I generally like everything Marvel puts out there...silver screen and Netflix.

Totally agree with AGGIEZ. And CAK, did you ever consider the people who are saying it's awful are saying that because it truly is, and those people can recognize bad acting and poor writing when they see it?

....but you did, in a childish manner. If you have something constructive to say please say it. I stand behind my question to CAK, it's ridiculous of him to make broad generalizations about the "type" of person who doesn't like Luke Cage.

Any Foxy Brown fans. Now that's a series that would have been heating up on EBay if they had ever published it!

meh....her only good album was Ill Na Na. She was the original Nicki Minaj.

It's the Bronze Age dude; this Foxy Brown;

www_MyEmoticons_com__fishing.gif

70s style soul. lol nevermind. I'm leaving this alone.

lol

first episode was decent enough. Dude playing Cottonmouth was killer in House of Cards and the strongest part of the episode. Cage's acting is pretty stiff.

ASAP is legit, though. Is it pandering? I dunno.

War is Hell #9 is doing ok in VG and above :insane:

Why is the second appearance of Death heating up?!?!

....but you did, in a childish manner. If you have something constructive to say please say it. I stand behind my question to CAK, it's ridiculous of him to make broad generalizations about the "type" of person who doesn't like Luke Cage.

I'm not agreeing with CAK (in fact, I hardly ever read his posts.) But what qualifies YOU to make this statement:

did you ever consider the people who are saying it's awful are saying that because it truly is, and those people can recognize bad acting and poor writing when they see it?

Are you freakin' Lee Strasberg? lol