• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2022 at 7:02 AM, batmiesta said:

Been collecting properly since the 80s and obviously data wasn't as readily available as it is today and that coupled with my age made the hike back then less noticeable, but paying $1300 for a book that should be $300 makes you sit up and take notice.

On the flip side, selling a $300 book for $1300 is nice.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yup.   When stacks of your $1 books become $100 books overnight, and  your $100 books become  $1000 books....

All of a sudden you have a ton of fun money to throw at bigger books.

Or, as is my case, the chance to throw money at other things.  I look at my books, and look at prices being paid and the decsision to sell is so much easier.  I'd originally thought I'd keep my Detectives below 600 and sell the rest. Then I decided to cull at issue 500 and up. In the end, I went with keeping any under 400 and selling the rest.  If prices weren't so high, I'd have kept much more but as it is, I was able to sell a bunch of books for much more than I expected. I have put some money back in- I bought an Avengers 1, Hulk 181, and a few Ditko Spideys but with prices so high, it isn't a good time to buy.  My biggests buys in 2021/22 have been non-comics.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, shadroch said:

Or, as is my case, the chance to throw money at other things.  I look at my books, and look at prices being paid and the decsision to sell is so much easier.  I'd originally thought I'd keep my Detectives below 600 and sell the rest. Then I decided to cull at issue 500 and up. In the end, I went with keeping any under 400 and selling the rest.  If prices weren't so high, I'd have kept much more but as it is, I was able to sell a bunch of books for much more than I expected. I have put some money back in- I bought an Avengers 1, Hulk 181, and a few Ditko Spideys but with prices so high, it isn't a good time to buy.  My biggests buys in 2021/22 have been non-comics.

I sold a ton of  what were once dollar books and bought a few copper/modern slabs.  :wishluck:

On 3/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, batmiesta said:

You have got to be pooping me! No logic to this whatso:censored:ever.

Defenders #28

Wait a minute.  This just sold on ebay for $275.  And there are FOUR 9.6s available as buyitnows for under $700 with one going for $400.

What kind of Shenanigans is this???  Is someone trying to manipulate this book?

The "white pages" can't add THAT much to the price.

Having said that...... I've always loved this comic and was hoping StarHawk would be a bigger character in GOTG

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/4/2022 at 3:38 PM, gadzukes said:

Wait a minute.  This just sold on ebay for $275.  And there are FOUR 9.6s available as buyitnows for under $700 with one going for $400.

What kind of Shenanigans is this???  Is someone trying to manipulate this book?

The "white pages" can't add THAT much to the price.

Having said that...... I've always loved this comic and was hoping StarHawk would be a bigger character in GOTG

This has happened multiple times in past auctions with different books, realizing silly prices on Clink yet cheaper ones in the same grade on ebay, mind boggling.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not sure how long you’ve been collecting, but the current environment reminds me of the very late 80’s/early 90’s whereby prices increased so rapidly that Overstreet had to publish quarterly updates to keep up with the price increases.

BUT, prices increased so rapidly that Overstreet had to increase his publishing frequency from quarterly to bi-monthly for a few years until the market stabilized!

The good old days. :cloud9:

On 3/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
  • If I look at the (many many) books already in my collection, and the prices they are going for, I know in the big picture I'm doing fine even though I might have taken a bath on this one book.  Just to take a handful of books I was watching -- ASM #2 through #5 in 9.0 -- all four sold last night for a LOT more than I paid for my 9.0 copies.  That helps me cope with the pain of buying in the current market.

@Sweet Lou 14, this statement really resonated with me and I totally agree...in fact, my friend (who collects original art) and I have this discussion every once in a while when discussing our collections and escalating prices.

The current situation is the "cost of doing business" if you want to remain somewhat active in this crazy market, and you just need to pick your spots...personally, I've been buying a lot more DCs than Marvels over the last year, but that's because most of the Marvels I still need are books that have blown up the most in price.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, batmiesta said:
On 3/7/2022 at 1:17 PM, Lego said:

So, are ComicLink sellers still able to bid on their own auctions?

:censored: hope not. 

No :sumo: But comicLink "affiliates" are . . . :gossip:

:wavingwhiteflag: