• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 12:44 PM, ThothAmon said:

Only superheros, other than the “Greatest” American Hero, to really disappoint me. Form of a bucket of water. Really?  45 years later and I’m still waiting for them to transform into something cool. 

When they fail on their mission, which is usually, I love the sad defeated "wonder twin powers de-activate".  

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, ygogolak said:

Why?

A boardie has an entire set in 9.8 minus this issue (his is a 9.6). I saw him at a local show on 1/29 and he told me what he was going to bid to win it. I was floored...and his bid was half what it went for!

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

On 2/18/2022 at 3:27 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:
On 2/16/2022 at 4:18 AM, ygogolak said:

Why?

A boardie has an entire set in 9.8 minus this issue (his is a 9.6). I saw him at a local show on 1/29 and he told me what he was going to bid to win it. I was floored...and his bid was half what it went for!

He went 5x GPA, and bowed out.  There other two bidders were going crazy.   4 9.8's on the census, and no reason another few copies won't join them (it's not an all black cover).  There must be some big love for CM out there!

I know where I'm standing. I'm just amazed how much money is being spent on comics that are not rare in high grade. People actually think that huge stockpiles of these books have just disappeared in one month and are hard to come by. If these were scarce pre-code books that you might never see another copy of I would understand, but some of these prices are just atomic hype-inflated foolishness. 

Edited by fett

On 2/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Microchip said:

He went 5x GPA, and bowed out.  There other two bidders were going crazy.   4 9.8's on the census, and no reason another few copies won't join them (it's not an all black cover).  There must be some big love for CM out there!

Just to be clear, it's only a graded 9.8 that is going crazy. And with only 4 on the census it's understandable.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, dikran1 said:

I keep seeing this on these Boards, but I rarely see census numbers of BA 9.8s increase significantly after a sale of astronimical proportions... 

Ahhh census numbers. So huge for some books. How many raw copies of these books are still out there? The prints runs on books from late 60s on were enormous, and only increased before that bubble almost popped for good in the 90s.

Incredible Hulk 181 (1974)-15,262 slabbed copies total, 2851 with the number grade 9.0-9.6, 144 in 9.8 and above.

Werewolf By Night 32 (1975)-4422 slabbed copies total, 957 in 9.0-9.6, 19 in 9.8 and above.

Amazing Spider-Man 300 (1988)-28,149 slabbed copies total, 16,790 in 9.0-9.6, 1526 in 9.8 and above. 

New Mutants 98 (1991)-22,848 slabbed copies total, 14,532 in 9.0-9.6, 4253 in 9.8 and above. 

My point is that paying increasing amounts of nosebleed money for a number that represents a subjective grade on a comic holder is not going to have a good ending. How many ticks on a cover separate a 9.0 from a 9.8.? How many "should be"  9.4s do you see graded as 9.8s? Then throw in the spec rumors firing up any given first appearance of any tier 5 character/villain that noone gave two FFs about the week before, with all copies of said book disappearing overnight from ebay and other vendors. Rinse. Repeat. Insanity. [My opinion-spend your time and money any way you like if it lets you enjoy the hobby] :) 

Edited by fett

On 2/20/2022 at 7:28 AM, fett said:

Ahhh census numbers. So huge for some books. How many raw copies of these books are still out there? The prints runs on books from late 60s on were enormous, and only increased before that bubble almost popped for good in the 90s.

Incredible Hulk 181 (1974)-15,262 slabbed copies total, 2851 with the number grade 9.0-9.6, 144 in 9.8 and above.

Werewolf By Night 32 (1975)-4422 slabbed copies total, 957 in 9.0-9.6, 19 in 9.8 and above.

Amazing Spider-Man 300 (1988)-28,149 slabbed copies total, 16,790 in 9.0-9.6, 1526 in 9.8 and above. 

New Mutants 98 (1991)-22,848 slabbed copies total, 14,532 in 9.0-9.6, 4253 in 9.8 and above. 

My point is that paying increasing amounts of nosebleed money for a number that represents a subjective grade on a comic holder is not going to have a good ending. How many ticks on a cover separate a 9.0 from a 9.8.? How many "should be"  9.4s do you see graded as 9.8s? Then throw in the spec rumors firing up any given first appearance of any tier 5 character/villain that noone gave two FFs about the week before, with all copies of said book disappearing overnight from ebay and other vendors. Rinse. Repeat. Insanity. [My opinion-spend your time and money any way you like if it lets you enjoy the hobby] :) 

I’m just saying the “9.8” game is a whole lot different nowadays than the “readily available in high grade” game. Am I gonna spend time (almost a year at CGC) and money to buy and submit 10, 20, 30, 100 (???) raw copies of a book before I get my coveted 9.8? That’s the mentality when high end collectors or speculators/investors enter our hobby. Is it here to stay? Probably not, but all I can say is we do us and let them do them. If someone wants to pay me 4-5 digits for one of my run filler SA/BA 9.8s I picked up for peanuts 15 years ago, who am I to complain? 

On 2/20/2022 at 1:54 PM, dikran1 said:

I’m just saying the “9.8” game is a whole lot different nowadays than the “readily available in high grade” game. Am I gonna spend time (almost a year at CGC) and money to buy and submit 10, 20, 30, 100 (???) raw copies of a book before I get my coveted 9.8? That’s the mentality when high end collectors or speculators/investors enter our hobby. Is it here to stay? Probably not, but all I can say is we do us and let them do them. If someone wants to pay me 4-5 digits for one of my run filler SA/BA 9.8s I picked up for peanuts 15 years ago, who am I to complain? 

None of us would complain about that, but then again not many of us would fork out $20+ grand for a none key 9.8 even if there are only 2 or 3 on the census. I just hope they are still shelling out silly money when I decide to sell mine. :cheers:

On 2/22/2022 at 10:09 AM, littledoom said:

Personally, I am wary of books like She-Hulk, Nova, etc that came out late 70s, early 80s. LOTS of copies and while I personally like Nova, I feel the demand for these characters is not there. Unless I am wrong, I just don't think enough She-Hulk or Nova fans exist to propel this book to new heights and I feel an Eternals #1 type scenario more likely with these two books. There are LOTS of people buying though hoping for return on the back end but if all you have are buyers hoping to flip, that creates a problem. Granted, She Hulk and Nova are probably much more known than Eternals but I still think both books could plummet back to Earth after they reach their peaks because the supply will vastly outstrip the demand. They are the Bronze Age equivalents of ASM 361 to me. They have value but I feel it is inflated currently and I don't see long term growth on them. But hey, just my 3 cents. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 2/22/2022 at 12:24 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Personally, I am wary of books like She-Hulk, Nova, etc that came out late 70s, early 80s. LOTS of copies and while I personally like Nova, I feel the demand for these characters is not there. Unless I am wrong, I just don't think enough She-Hulk or Nova fans exist to propel this book to new heights and I feel an Eternals #1 type scenario more likely with these two books. There are LOTS of people buying though hoping for return on the back end but if all you have are buyers hoping to flip, that creates a problem. Granted, She Hulk and Nova are probably much more known than Eternals but I still think both books could plummet back to Earth after they reach their peaks because the supply will vastly outstrip the demand. They are the Bronze Age equivalents of ASM 361 to me. They have value but I feel it is inflated currently and I don't see long term growth on them. But hey, just my 3 cents. 

If there wasn't demand there would not be a price increase. They haven't even had screen time yet. And yes, it will go down after that. I can't think of any books that have not. But they will not go down to their price 5 years ago.