• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2022 at 10:20 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Possibly. Or some funny business is going on. I'm leaning towards funny business.

Maybe but I have won items from that seller and never noticed anything like that.  He had a Bats 181 listed as complete one time and I asked if it included the poster.  It did not and he quickly revised.  He deals in a lot of pop culture material.  But on Ebay who knows and with today's quacky prices, nothing really surprises.  I bet if Nic Cage had signed it, it would only hammer at a sawbuck.  :shiftyeyes:

On 2/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, PeterPark said:

Can Nova carry his own movie? Does She-Hulk have the shifting trend of more women characters in her favor? Nova is a nice piece, but can he carry his own movie series? The MCU shows on Disney+ have done very well in driving the market. And with the dearth of Hulk-devoted movies and shows, she is ripe to capitalize.

I think She-Hulk is the better buy.

Nova 1 9.8 seems to be about $1200 while at She-Hulk 1 9.8 is $1500-$2000 with a large volatility.

She Hulk $1500? :whatthe: 

I had two copies in 9.8 a few years back and could barely get $200 for them.... What a bummer

On 2/28/2022 at 11:20 PM, littledoom said:

That seller gets exceedingly high sales on a lot of books. Don't understand it though. Anything from him is definitely an outlier. 

On 3/2/2022 at 6:17 AM, ygogolak said:

private listing - bidders' identities protected

That's why...

Zatanna 1 Special from 1987 sold for $60 with nicer copies abundantly listed for $10.. that I don’t get…. That listing was not private! 

On 3/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

There have been so many prices that make no sense.  I can't imagine paying big money for that book.

Yeah! Spidey #100 9.6 GPA is around the $1300 mark, $2300 realized, what chance do you have? :censored: crackpots. 

On 3/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, batmiesta said:

Yeah! Spidey #100 9.6 GPA is around the $1300 mark, $2300 realized, what chance do you have? :censored: crackpots. 

lol That was one of the books I was watching closely as well.

I bid on four books last night.  Aggressively.  I won one and lost three, and I'm not sure which left me feeling more pissed off.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:48 AM, batmiesta said:

You have got to be pooping me! No logic to this whatso:censored:ever.

Defenders #28

He made a real impression on fifteen year old future shadroch.  He was, by far, the best addition to the Marvel Universe s far as I was concerned. He didn't age very well but I imagine there are a bunch of people who remember first reading this and thinking he was going to be someone special 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

lol That was one of the books I was watching closely as well.

I bid on four books last night.  Aggressively.  I won one and lost three, and I'm not sure which left me feeling more pissed off.

What did you win Lou?  

On 3/3/2022 at 9:51 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Honestly, I'm not sure if I should be bragging about this or embarrassed by what I paid.  But here you go.

1484980271_AmazingSpider-Man101CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.9d25c7a2e3a384b7506271fb5bc236ed.jpg

I am fully aware that this is probably the WORST possible time to buy ASM #101.  I thought long and hard about staying out of this auction and waiting for another copy after the movie hype dies down.  However, there were a few factors that made me go for it:

1. I am soooo close to finishing my goal of upgrading #101 through #150 to 9.6 WP.  With this book in the collection, I am down to just four more (none of which are keys -- #121, 122, 124, 129, etc. are all checked off the list already).
  2. This book almost never comes up with white pages.  In fact, off-white seems almost as common as OW/W.
  3. This book is also notorious for centering / wrap issues.  No, this wrap isn't perfect but honestly I can be happy with a thin, even strip of white.  I really dislike when the wrap is crooked and you get a triangle of white, which again is very common on this book.

So, the market for 9.6 has been anywhere from $9,000 on the low end to $12,000 on the high end, but this book was sitting at over $11K as of February 22, one week before the auction close.  I have bid on enough auctions to know that this meant it was going to take at least $13,500 to win this book.  I also knew there would be at least one other person out there thinking along with me that this was a very nice 9.6 and that there's no way to know when another WP copy was going to come around.

So I prepared to "go nuts" and bid somewhere in the high $15,000s -- hoping and praying that I was overshooting by a bunch and I'd win it for $12,500 but knowing that all it takes is one other person thinking the same thing and I would get a much more painful win.  And then, no joke, with about 8 seconds to go I just had this feeling that there was going to be someone willing to go to $16K.  So I bid $16,387.

I won the book for $16,387 because sure enough, somebody bid $16,222.

So -- had I lost, I would have been sitting there with no book and having helped set the market at $16K on this book and I would have been banging my head against the wall.  Since I won, I am sitting here with a book (that is a big deal, the adrenaline rush and the dopamine hit are real) but I also know I've overpaid.  I can console myself with a few thoughts ...

• This is a real nice book and I am very happy to have it.
  • I'm going to sell my 9.4, hopefully quickly, and that will take some of the sting out of this if I can get a good price.
  • If I look at the (many many) books already in my collection, and the prices they are going for, I know in the big picture I'm doing fine even though I might have taken a bath on this one book.  Just to take a handful of books I was watching -- ASM #2 through #5 in 9.0 -- all four sold last night for a LOT more than I paid for my 9.0 copies.  That helps me cope with the pain of buying in the current market.
  • In the past, when I've paid what felt like way too much for a book, it usually didn't take long before I was actually thankful I got the book for what I paid.  There's some hope that I'll feel that way (eventually) about this book.  The Morbius movie sounds like it might be a good one, so maybe the character has more "legs" than I wanted to give it credit for.

As for the books I lost:  Avengers #93, Avengers #94, and Captain America #118 -- all in 9.6 WP, and all of which sold for what I frankly consider to be crazy numbers, though I came in third place on the #93 and second place on the other two so I guess that makes me part of the insanity.  I don't know how to feel about any of this, but I'll get over it.  You're just catching me when it's all still very fresh and I figure what the hell, why not lay it all out here as a little snapshot of what I'm thinking at this moment in time.  I hope at least some of this sounds familiar to others who are trying to navigate this incredibly overheated market.

For what it's worth, just reading this allowed me to settle a few old nagging feelings, where I've taken bath on a book in the past.   So I'm going in with a 'thank you' on this.  I'm not a ASM guy, but that is some seriously big cheese right there.  It's a sharp copy, no question about it, and we all know about logic that goes into passion purchases, and this is clearly one of them.    From a market perspective, there's a lot of talk about where things are going, and I'm not about to cast my crystal ball into the guesses.   but it'll be interesting overall to see where this bull market goes in the next 12-24 months.

Congrats (thumbsu

On 3/2/2022 at 5:51 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Honestly, I'm not sure if I should be bragging about this or embarrassed by what I paid.  But here you go.

1484980271_AmazingSpider-Man101CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.9d25c7a2e3a384b7506271fb5bc236ed.jpg

I am fully aware that this is probably the WORST possible time to buy ASM #101.  I thought long and hard about staying out of this auction and waiting for another copy after the movie hype dies down.  However, there were a few factors that made me go for it:

1. I am soooo close to finishing my goal of upgrading #101 through #150 to 9.6 WP.  With this book in the collection, I am down to just four more (none of which are keys -- #121, 122, 124, 129, etc. are all checked off the list already).
  2. This book almost never comes up with white pages.  In fact, off-white seems almost as common as OW/W.
  3. This book is also notorious for centering / wrap issues.  No, this wrap isn't perfect but honestly I can be happy with a thin, even strip of white.  I really dislike when the wrap is crooked and you get a triangle of white, which again is very common on this book.

So, the market for 9.6 has been anywhere from $9,000 on the low end to $12,000 on the high end, but this book was sitting at over $11K as of February 22, one week before the auction close.  I have bid on enough auctions to know that this meant it was going to take at least $13,500 to win this book.  I also knew there would be at least one other person out there thinking along with me that this was a very nice 9.6 and that there's no way to know when another WP copy was going to come around.

So I prepared to "go nuts" and bid somewhere in the high $15,000s -- hoping and praying that I was overshooting by a bunch and I'd win it for $12,500 but knowing that all it takes is one other person thinking the same thing and I would get a much more painful win.  And then, no joke, with about 8 seconds to go I just had this feeling that there was going to be someone willing to go to $16K.  So I bid $16,387.

So -- had I lost, I would have been sitting there with no book and having helped set the market at $16K on this book and I would have been banging my head against the wall.  Since I won, I am sitting here with a book (that is a big deal, the adrenaline rush and the dopamine hit are real) but I also know I've overpaid.  I can console myself with a few thoughts ...

• I'm going to sell my 9.4, hopefully quickly, and that will take some of the sting out of this if I can get a good price.
  • If I look at the (many many) books already in my collection, and the prices they are going for, I know in the big picture I'm doing fine even though I might have taken a bath on this one book.  Just to take a handful of books I was watching -- ASM #2 through #5 in 9.0 -- all four sold last night for a LOT more than I paid for my 9.0 copies.  That helps me cope with the pain of buying in the current market.
  • In the past, when I've paid what felt like way too much for a book, it usually didn't take long before I was actually thankful I got the book for what I paid.  There's some hope that I'll feel that way (eventually) about this book.  The Morbius movie sounds like it might be a good one, so maybe the character has more "legs" than I wanted to give it credit for.

As for the books I lost:  Avengers #93, Avengers #94, and Captain America #118 -- all in 9.6 WP, and all of which sold for what I frankly consider to be crazy numbers, though I came in third place on the #93 and second place on the other two so I guess that makes me part of the insanity.  I don't know how to feel about any of this, but I'll get over it.  You're just catching me when it's all still very fresh and I figure what the hell, why not lay it all out here as a little snapshot of what I'm thinking at this moment in time.  I hope at least some of this sounds familiar to others who are trying to navigate this incredibly overheated market.

He ll yeah!  That’s all you really needed to say. 

On 3/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, Microchip said:

For what it's worth, just reading this allowed me to settle a few old nagging feelings, where I've taken bath on a book in the past.   So I'm going in with a 'thank you' on this.  I'm not a ASM guy, but that is some seriously big cheese right there.  It's a sharp copy, no question about it, and we all know about logic that goes into passion purchases, and this is clearly one of them.    From a market perspective, there's a lot of talk about where things are going, and I'm not about to cast my crystal ball into the guesses.   but it'll be interesting overall to see where this bull market goes in the next 12-24 months.

Congrats (thumbsu

Thank you so much.

I found it very therapeutic to actually type all that out.

On 3/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, it's a great book. I think you'll make out fine in time.  Plus, you're down to 4 more affordable books to reach a goal.