• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

For 4, I like how CGC does it. If the character appears first without costume, it's first appearance of the character's real name. Then if the character appears in costume, it's first appearance of character's real name as (superhero).

However, if the costume appears first without revealing the identity it's 1st Superhero. Then if the character appears without the costume it's 1st real name.

Market-wise in most cases, it's whichever is printed 1st is worth the most money.

Except War Machine, Ant Man, Venom, and even Cable all appeared in costume 2nd and those are the money books right?

Insofar that Venom is a combination of a person and a symbiote, it's not until the two come together that it's really Venom.

For 4, I like how CGC does it. If the character appears first without costume, it's first appearance of the character's real name. Then if the character appears in costume, it's first appearance of character's real name as (superhero).

However, if the costume appears first without revealing the identity it's 1st Superhero. Then if the character appears without the costume it's 1st real name.

Market-wise in most cases, it's whichever is printed 1st is worth the most money.

Except War Machine, Ant Man, Venom, and even Cable all appeared in costume 2nd and those are the money books right?

Not true for Ant-Man. For some reason, TTA#27 is erroneously listed as the first appearance of Ant-Man even though it's Hank Pym in street clothes. He becomes Ant-Man in TTA#35 and it's listed as Ant-Man's 2nd appearance... (shrug)

Shouldn't Avengers #59 be the 2nd appearance of Yellowjacket then?

Not true for Ant-Man. For some reason, TTA#27 is erroneously listed as the first appearance of Ant-Man even though it's Hank Pym in street clothes. He becomes Ant-Man in TTA#35 and it's listed as Ant-Man's 2nd appearance... (shrug)

Yet the cover of TTA #35 says "The Return of the Ant-Man", if he's "returning" he'd have to been there once before right? hm

I'm not sure how I feel about Ant-Man's first appearance. The Fantastic Four didn't get their costumes until issue #3 so is that their first appearance?

No, Iron Man 118 came out before Iron Man 282. Iron Man 118 is worth more.

Yet the cover of TTA #35 says "The Return of the Ant-Man", if he's "returning" he'd have to been there once before right? hm

:facepalm: not this argument again...forget I said anything...

It's not an argument.

The market has settled the issue.

It's not an argument.

Actually, it IS an argument. Just like Hulk 180 vs 181 is an argument. Just like FF 67 and Thor 165 vs MP1 is an argument. Jimmy Olsen and Forever People 1....just because TTA 27 is the more expensive book doesn't erase the fact that it's arguable.

It's not an argument.

Actually, it IS an argument. Just like Hulk 180 vs 181 is an argument. Just like FF 67 and Thor 165 vs MP1 is an argument. Jimmy Olsen and Forever People 1....just because TTA 27 is the more expensive book doesn't erase the fact that it's arguable.

Just for the record, JO 134 is a rarer book than FP 1, but it barely, and I mean by the skin of its teeth, qualifies as even a cameo. One of the weakest cameos in the history of comics......period. Darkseid is Kirby's baby, not Neal Adams'.

Edited by blazincomics

It's not an argument.

Just for the record, JO 134 is a rarer book than FP 1, but it barely, and I mean by the skin of its teeth, qualifies as even a cameo. One of the weakest cameos in the history of comics......period. Darkseid is Kirby's baby, not Neal Adams.

I think we can all agree: Neal Adams is NOT Kirby's baby.

That said, Hulk 180 really is the first appearance of Wolverine and it is an awesome appearance! :headbang:

It's not an argument.

Just for the record, JO 134 is a rarer book than FP 1, but it barely, and I mean by the skin of its teeth, qualifies as even a cameo. One of the weakest cameos in the history of comics......period. Darkseid is Kirby's baby, not Neal Adams'.

Couldn't agree more…

Darkseid+Debut+Page.jpg

DarkseidJO134pg22_sml.jpg

It's not an argument.

Couldn't agree more…

Darkseid+Debut+Page.jpg

1) we see him

2) he has dialogue

3) he's named

It's a pretty small and fairly lame cameo, but there are far, far worse than this. Man of Steel #17 comes immediately to mind.

Darkseid+Debut+Page.jpg

1) we see him

2) he has dialogue

3) he's named

4) he's PINK

Fixed

Exactly. Hard to call it a cameo if the supposed cameo appearance doesn't look anything like the guy, right? It's very htf in high grade, and I love the cover, but if what's inside the cover matters at all, there really isn't a whole lot to work with here.

Not that it's worth any money, but Giant-Size Conan #1 is listed as 1st app Belit simply because her name is mentioned on one page that sums up Conan's history. She's not even drawn. Worst labeled first appearance of all.