• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official 2013 Modern Age Speculation Challenge

322 posts in this topic

I'm confused. So you can start with any comic published after July 2012? So if I can pick out a book that's already over cover and find it - legitimately - for sale at cover, I can buy it and then immediately flip it and move on?

Something seems wrong there...

(shrug)

What if the store where you buy doesn't give receipts

We may have to apply a bit of moderator discretion at some points, but it would be preferable to be able to verify sales and purchases as often as is possible.

Even the field? I get a sense that some were hoping to make this purely a gamble while others were hoping to make this a business competition.

Personally, with no vested interest, I'd have started from January 2013 to keep it within the calendar year. The problem that arose with that was moving it away from a Modern speculation challenge. The starting point may be one of the things that needs some revision and ironing out.

It's one of those "you can't please all the people all the time" kinda things. For every rule I suggested, at least one person said it was a terrible rule.

Keep in mind that if anyone wants to stick with only 2013 comics, and wants to stick with only books that are less than 30-days old, we'll have a designation for those individuals. It's the best compromise I could get since more people wanted this to be a Modern Age Challenge instead of a Current Modern Books challenge.

Sorry have not had a chance to read this thread completely.

Question:

1. If shipping is not accounted for on sales then does it follow that if I have no LCS and mail order I don't factor shipping into my purchases from my initial $8 spend?

2. If I buy multiples of the same modern via mail order and provide the invoice details as proof then I am allowed to say "One of these" is my speculation challenge comic right?

It doesn't make sense for me to order just one copy for the challenge on its own if the speculation is good in general and I can get multiples. It also makes my purchases transparent so that I don't go ahead and say "I just bought another 2 of the same issue with the money I made".

I don't necessarily want you to change / update the rules if you don't feel the need to. Just wanted clarification if I do want to join in as I rarely visit a LCS in person.

Cheers ;)

I'm confused. So you can start with any comic published after July 2012? So if I can pick out a book that's already over cover and find it - legitimately - for sale at cover, I can buy it and then immediately flip it and move on?

Something seems wrong there...

(shrug)

i think the July start date was to hit the ground running so to speak, if its anything in 2013 then the first few weeks would be pretty uneventful

1. If shipping is not accounted for on sales then does it follow that if I have no LCS and mail order I don't factor shipping into my purchases from my initial $8 spend?

Correct. (thumbs u

2. If I buy multiples of the same modern via mail order and provide the invoice details as proof then I am allowed to say "One of these" is my speculation challenge comic right?

Yep, that's fine.

Ahh the spreadsheet was deleted on the 3d page!

Yeah, the Table page wasn't acting in the same way as the one I have saved in Excel. When you filtered it by 'Cash Remaining' the other cells in the row didn't follow that column's sorting and it just got completely messed up. I'm trying to work on it now.

Then you need a pic of the store owner holding your purchase in front of the cash register total.

Or an Asian chick getting hot and horny licking your comic.

Then you need a pic of the store owner holding your purchase in front of the cash register total.

Or an Asian chick getting hot and horny licking your comic.

I'd buy that. :)

Yeah - too much work for 'fun'.

Good on you guys for trying to sort this out.

TBH - I suspect that people with 'irons in the fire' won't play in fear of letting a few cats out the bag.