• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official 2013 Modern Age Speculation Challenge

322 posts in this topic

I know I only spent $7.50 so far but I don't see me on the spreadsheet.

You're on the spreadsheet, but just weren't added to the ranking list. Sorry 'bout that. We'll remedy that with the next update.

Cool, thanks!

i think 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 midtown variants were $10 each....they've started cooling off though. I don't get stuff quick enough to make that extra $50 or so.

I'm actually seeing the timing and the ability to turn things around as an unlevel playing ground. I think we made a pretty solid rule set, but in the end, I have a feeling this contest will, at least to some degree, come down to who has the ability to buy and sell quickest.

Part of me is regretting not having a month where we have a trial period to test things out, but it's early yet. Perhaps things will change once more people get multiple sales. (shrug)

Not exactly sure what you mean by un even playing field and not everyone having the ability. Doesent everyone have an outlet to sell their comics? Ebay/amazon/internet etc"?

Id actually think the biggest advantage would be who has the most stores around them, hastings, midtowns, LCS's, hot topics or whatever. When someone heats up unexpectedly and you can no longer order on line, who can run to the most shops and buy them off the shelves in quantity.

Yeah, location is a huge part of it. But so is time. Granted, I'm seeing this through my own eyes and don't know everyone's situation, so perhaps I'm wrong.

But if I were participating, I wouldn't be able to get to the comic shop until after work on Wednesday. By then, many of the day's hot books would be sold out. So hopefully I'd have had one put aside. Then, I wouldn't have the time to get to eBay to put any comic on sale until after my son went to bed.

Meanwhile, that same day, two participants probably would have had time to buy/sell a set of books, and then return to their local shop and buy/sell another set of books.

I've seen it a number of times already that someone has bought/sold a book and bought another book with their profit before I'd even been able to go to the comic shop. And that's not even factoring in the fact that my LCS doesn't always carry some of the books that are proving to be crazy hot right now.

Again, this is all speculation. I don't know everyone's situation. But it does seem, in these early rounds at least, the contest is about speculation plus the means to get those key books and sell them quickly.

Everyone has the ability, not everyone gets the comics in a timely enough manner to make the most profit. Say you have 2 people, both know a midtown variant is going to be hot. One lives a few miles away from Midtown, one has to order his. The person who has a store nearby buys his copy and makes the 'hot' money (say $150)...the person who has to order gets it a week after and makes ($75). Also the person who has to order deals with shipping costs and the inability to cherry pick condition.

It should even out eventually though once people start placing preorders in quantity or decide to hold on to theirs instead of flipping to maximize their profits.

Everyone has the ability, not everyone gets the comics in a timely enough manner to make the most profit.

This is my point. At least in the early going, that's proving to be the difference. At least, that's what it seems to be. It might even out over time or it might not. It's only been two week, so who knows what will happen.

I have an advantage because Im one of those people that has 6 comic shops around me.However my disadvantage is refusing to use ebay. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, mostly it will come down to wits and luck. I also refuse to have my online orders shipped to me priority or next day for the sake of the competition.

One thing's for sure and that's British boardies (that may well extend to many other countries) wouldn't stand a chance in something like this. The turnaround times some of you guys have wouldn't even make it worth while for us to bother joining in.

Reno and I have discussed some possible changes behind the scenes, one of those included a limit on how many buys and sells you could make in a week. Nothing is being changed yet (if at all) but I thought I'd throw that out in the open to gauge peoples' reactions. It would be benficial in a couple of ways, namely a) it would sort of make things more fair with time constraints people have, and b) would dramatically lighten the load on the spreadsheet updaters! Feel free to discuss this of course.

Reno has highlighted a minor problem with the spreadsheet, I'll check it out tonight when I get home. I'll update all unread PMs into the sheet and see what's happening and get it fixed.

Oh, and he also forgot to add in rule 12.1 b) 10% of everybody's final net profit goes to us for running the show. :insane:

I could play but not compete once it gets to levels where you can grade. Where we fall short on waiting for delivery / release of certain items we make gains where Ebay UK usually sees a little more revenue in quick sales of moderns.

My decision not to was purely based on available time and being lazy.