• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,854 posts in this topic

Good info RMA but don't you think Peter Parker 1 would have had higher #s than asm 175? That was a hoarded book and a #1 and in my experience very common...

hm

Yeah, you're right. This was in an era where "#1" on the cover was more important than anything. All anybody cared about was #1. Didn't matter what it was, as long as it was the first issue. I forgot about that. Too bad JC's not around to correct me. ;)

I would guess they would be right around par, then. ALL comics were suffering in the mid-70's, nothing was selling...except #1s. But ASM was STILL Marvel's flagship.

If any of you wondered why there are more #1s of books from 1975-1980 than any other time period in comics history outside of 1993, now you know.

Don't believe me....?

Devil Dinosaur.

#1.

meh

you make a good point.

dumb question here, but can amateurs make embossed covers? (shrug)

im no expert on production so i don't know how to make counterfeit or fake stuff....

so basically what im gathering here is IF this thing is real then you guys have not seen it either....... hm

i was just talking shop with him at SuperCon and he shows me this and my eyes popped out of my head and i thought everyone and their mom would have one on the forum

i have seen alot of cool "never before seen" stuff on the forum but this is taking the cake

wow!

I'm sure with the right motivation (e.g. money), someone can figure out how to emboss and/or color a cover and make it look good.

The comicspriceguide forum had a thread a few years back where they discussed fake variants, and someone posted their Batman 497 platinum. It looked real, until you opened the book and could see the waviness inside from being painted.

I tried a few search combinations on your variant search yesterday. Nothing yet.

- "Superman comic black cover silver emblem (symbol) (embossed)"

- "Superman limited black (embossed) cover"

- "Blackest Night Superman variant"

- "Superman 123 (limited) (retailer) variant"

- "Superman 149 (limited) (retailer) variant"

you make a good point.

dumb question here, but can amateurs make embossed covers? (shrug)

im no expert on production so i don't know how to make counterfeit or fake stuff....

so basically what im gathering here is IF this thing is real then you guys have not seen it either....... hm

i was just talking shop with him at SuperCon and he shows me this and my eyes popped out of my head and i thought everyone and their mom would have one on the forum

i have seen alot of cool "never before seen" stuff on the forum but this is taking the cake

wow!

I'm sure with the right motivation (e.g. money), someone can figure out how to emboss and/or color a cover and make it look good.

The comicspriceguide forum had a thread a few years back where they discussed fake variants, and someone posted their Batman 497 platinum. It looked real, until you opened the book and could see the waviness inside from being painted.

I tried a few search combinations on your variant search yesterday. Nothing yet.

- "Superman comic black cover silver emblem (symbol) (embossed)"

- "Superman limited black (embossed) cover"

- "Blackest Night Superman variant"

- "Superman 123 (limited) (retailer) variant"

- "Superman 149 (limited) (retailer) variant"

wow love to see the fake variant 497....

thanks for looking...i hope someone finds this book

I remember bootleg sports cards in the early 90's that were embossed. There's no reason why that couldn't happen years later in comics.

It being a bootleg for Adventures of Superman #500 makes perfect sense too. The Death Of Superman arguably (I would say unarguably) received the biggest mainstream press/hype for a comic book ever. Awareness was at it's peak and it was an opportune time to take advantage of the hype train with bootlegs. The fact that this issue bombed with collectors is probably why there are so few of this book compared to say bootleg Michael Jordan baseball rookie cards.

There's also zero reason for DC to release a variant that they did not promote for one of their most promoted comics of all time.

My guess is that the foil Superman comic pictured above is some kind of counterfeit or fan-made variant, and not an official DC release that nobody here has ever heard of or seen before. That just seems the most likely explanation to me, but having the book in hand would answer a lot of questions.

There were some counterfeit marvel foil variants made in 2007, so the technology exists. See this interesting thread: http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6948

That was the thread that first tipped me off there were counterfeit Batman 497s floating around, as before then I had never heard of such a thing.

I need to find that comicspriceguide thread, as it was the only time I ever saw a picture of one, and even that CCL thread didn't have one available.

you all make good points. im starting to believe its counterfeit...

if the whole forum hasnt seen it then it cannot be real....

unless its foreign, but im a foreign guy and ive never seen or heard anything on it.

That was the first thing I asked the guy who showed me the pic at the comiccon

oh well :(

Cool looking book, though. I wish DC had printed something like that, as it would be a good one to capture silver ink signatures.

i have been trying different searches and nothing comes up.

really bummed about this I was thinking some hardcore Superman fans were going to know it and drop me links to buy. If this book ends up being real, maybe its rare like the Bradman or that Colorado Skiiing Superman Giveaway (shrug)

If so I will buy one I just love the cover its perfect with no title and silver embossed logo

oh well :tonofbricks::sorry:

Cool looking book, though. I wish DC had printed something like that, as it would be a good one to capture silver ink signatures.

really bummed about this I was thinking some hardcore Superman fans were going to know it and drop me links to buy. If this book ends up being real, maybe its rare like the Bradman or that Colorado Skiiing Superman Giveaway (shrug)

If so I will buy one I just love the cover its perfect with no title and silver embossed logo

When can you see it in hand? A look at the indicia will give you lots of information. So will the guts of the comic, especially if it is a custom cover placed on a mass produced comic. If there is no indicia, then the plot really thickens. Please keep posting. This one is interesting.

When can you see it in hand? A look at the indicia will give you lots of information. So will the guts of the comic, especially if it is a custom cover placed on a mass produced comic. If there is no indicia, then the plot really thickens. Please keep posting. This one is interesting.

it driving me crazy and making me think more and more its a perfect amateur produced rip off....

i find it very hard to believe no one in the forum knows anything about and the guy didn't have it in hand but only a pic

With so many variant "this" and limited edition "that", counterfeits seem pretty easy to throw into the market.

I have showed this pic to all my foreign hunters all over the world and they never seen it either....

until i find or someone confirms this book, I am chalking it up with the fake Batman Platinum 497

What does the guy want for it? I'll pitch in $10 just for the "archeological" benefits. :D

he wasnt offering it for sale. I met this guy at a show and we were talking about rare comics blah blah blah i had the lobster bisque. Then he showed me this pic on his phone that he bought an ultra rare Man of Steel comic he says less than maybe 500-1000 copies were released. he wasnt offering to sell it.

I figured, oh no big deal, when i get home i will look it up and buy one on Ebay or find someone on the Forum that has one

makes me think he wasnt trying to scam me because he wasn't trying to sell it

IF, and that is a big IF, it is a rare book like a bradman or the skiing comic then it could be a $1000+ book in terms of demand or scarcity??????...stupid awesome comic collectors showing me books I cant find...doh!!! :censored:

What does the guy want for it? I'll pitch in $10 just for the "archeological" benefits. :D

he wasnt offering it for sale. I met this guy at a show and we were talking about rare comics blah blah blah i had the lobster bisque. Then he showed me this pic on his phone that he bought an ultra rare Man of Steel comic he says less than maybe 500-1000 copies were released. he wasnt offering to sell it.

I figured, oh no big deal, when i get home i will look it up and buy one on Ebay or find someone on the Forum that has one

IF, and that is a big IF, it is a rare book like a bradman or the skiing comic then it could be a $1000+ book in terms of demand or scarcity??????...stupid awesome comic collectors showing me books I cant find...doh!!! :censored:

Just b/c I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

I get the feeling the guy was fishing on you. He shows you ultimate rare book but doesn't offer to sell it. Instead he waits for you to contact him and beg him to sell. "Well, I don't really want to sell as it's so rare, but I'll do you a favor, how much were you thinking?" But that's just me.

Just b/c I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

I get the feeling the guy was fishing on you. He shows you ultimate rare book but doesn't offer to sell it. Instead he waits for you to contact him and beg him to sell. "Well, I don't really want to sell as it's so rare, but I'll do you a favor, how much were you thinking?" But that's just me.

maybe...if that's true then this guy found his "M-o-b-y D-!-c-k" because i cant stop thinking about this book :(

so if that is what he did what would you do if you liked the book?

if i was trying to sell a book I would be hustling everyone...i figured he was a collector like me . I show alot of books on the forum, but Im not offering to sell and i have had private offers before i have to tell people sorry i dont want to sell becasue they are so hard to replace