• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

Why the first appearance of Deadpool is so sought after?

I mean, the character was taken out of context and developed after New Mutants #98, the early apperance should not matter so much for those which read Deadpool now.

Well, the same could be said with Wolverine, his claws were supposed to be part of his gloves! But look what happened there... and there is a good case where the 2nd appearance is more valuable than the first! :ohnoez:

-slym

Also judging from the number of bids and price attained, the book seems pretty darn liquid to me?

It looks like this book is simmering a bit now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-8-X-MEN-221-WOLVERINE-1ST-MISTER-SINISTER-SILVESTRI-ART-/390668963591?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5af5af4f07

anyone have an estimated print run on this book?

1st appearances never go out of style.

Also, there are a LOT of popular characters who've changed significantly from their 1st appearance....Wolverine and Superman for starters.... :baiting:

That's a great point. Superman readers of today aren't reading Supes as when he was first introduced.

Also judging from the number of bids and price attained, the book seems pretty darn liquid to me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-8-X-MEN-221-WOLVERINE-1ST-MISTER-SINISTER-SILVESTRI-ART-/390668963591?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5af5af4f07

350,000- 425,000 copies? hm

Uncanny X-Men was one of the, if not the, top selling comic from any company at that time.

Uncanny X-Men was one of the, if not the, top selling comic from any company at that time.

It was shortly after this thhat the stories started to go out of control, IMHO, and that hurt the book. It still sold well, but that stupid going through the mirror storyline build up and afterwards killed all the momentum coming out of the Mutant Massacre as far as I was concerned as a X-Men reader and collector back then.

It was shortly after this thhat the stories started to go out of control, IMHO, and that hurt the book. It still sold well, but that stupid going through the mirror storyline build up and afterwards killed all the momentum coming out of the Mutant Massacre as far as I was concerned as a X-Men reader and collector back then.

The thing is, no matter how bad the stories may have been around that time, everybody and their momma bought a copy of Uncanny X-Men. lol I know people who were buying 5-10 copies on the day of release, because they thought they'd retire on them. :insane:

^^

"Siege Perilous"

:sick:

Or Cable could just be in the movie, extended cameo or no.

If memory serves, both Cable and Bishop appeared in the two-part "Days of Future Past" adaptation back in the 90s X-Men cartoon.

If I were Singer, I'd split the story in two and end on a cliffhanger, a la the comics, perhaps introducing Apocalypse, etc. at the end.

Guess we'll know more later this week when the first trailer drops.

Tacky to quote myself, but a'yup. Just saw the trailer, and Bishop's clearly in it. So much for scooping up another dozen copies of X-Men 282-283...

I've got like a dozen of these books :banana:

I wonder how many long boxes are sitting in the back storage in most comic shops that were around in the day. I can remember snagging a small stack of #282s from two long boxes full at a store in the early 00s.

Or Cable could just be in the movie, extended cameo or no.

If memory serves, both Cable and Bishop appeared in the two-part "Days of Future Past" adaptation back in the 90s X-Men cartoon.

If I were Singer, I'd split the story in two and end on a cliffhanger, a la the comics, perhaps introducing Apocalypse, etc. at the end.

Guess we'll know more later this week when the first trailer drops.

Tacky to quote myself, but a'yup. Just saw the trailer, and Bishop's clearly in it. So much for scooping up another dozen copies of X-Men 282-283...

They can be found RN on eBay for $1 each.

-slym

I've got like a dozen of these books :banana:

I wonder how many long boxes are sitting in the back storage in most comic shops that were around in the day. I can remember snagging a small stack of #282s from two long boxes full at a store in the early 00s.

there were plenty of these in 50 cent boxes for 2 decades. i'd usually pick the nicest one out of a pile, but i stopped doing that even 5 years ago.

Also, there are a LOT of popular characters who've changed significantly from their 1st appearance....Wolverine and Superman for starters.... :baiting:

Deadpool hasn’t "changed significantly", he simply was a character with no background before, and what they developed has nothing to do with the Marvel continuty (and vision) which was still existence when it appeared on the New Mutants.

In fact, it’s precisely around the time of these issues that Marvel started to irremediably (or so) disgregate its whole concept of continuity, and its overall vision as it was developed over 30+ years of stories.

From what I get by reading some random Deadpool, the character is a sort of odd commentary on everything and nothing, with a humorous and occasionally bitter slant, which could exist everywhere, independently from the fact that is a "Marvel" character.

But again, this can be said for existing characters they hacked to death as well.

Too many to list…

That's a great point. Superman readers of today aren't reading Supes as when he was first introduced.

DC never had at its basis the concept which made Marvel entirely different.

The whole Crisis series was an attempt to rationalize something in that vein, but they already trashed everything almost in its entirety, especially with the last "brilliant" idea of the New 52.

GPA reports that a New Mutants #87 CGC 9.8 copy has moved from a $110 average in 2010 to a solid $200+ this year. Definitely upwards movement in the past three years. Nostalgila or is there some Cable movie I'm unaware about coming out in 2016? The Lyria Exchange has also noticed a great more NM #98 in the most active and most watched areas. hm(shrug)

Probably nostalgia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks in the new X-Men movie at the end. Bishop, Blink, time travel...but no Cable...seriously?

My guess. Cable in the end credit scene of X-Men Days of Futures Past movie.

Isn't NM 86 Cable's first appearance? He's not in any sort of shadow in that last panel.