• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,850 posts in this topic

anything is possible these days with noobs purchasing/pursuing these so called hott books.

While that is a part of it, over the past couple of years I have seen way more early 20s collectors enter the market and for them the Copper Age keys are the big books tied to their youth. They have jobs now with decent disposable incomes to chase the funny books that are key to them, and it is not BA or SA. If they follow the trend, they will eventually migrate to BA, SA and GA books, but right now CA is what they are most familiar with and that is what they are chasing. It happened with SA back in the day, then BA, so it only makes sense that demographics are impacting the CA market now as well.

Perhaps there's a Rule that shows what happens to things that came out 25 years previously?

hm

:grin:

Every. Single. Time.

anything is possible these days with noobs purchasing/pursuing these so called hott books.

While that is a part of it, over the past couple of years I have seen way more early 20s collectors enter the market and for them the Copper Age keys are the big books tied to their youth. They have jobs now with decent disposable incomes to chase the funny books that are key to them, and it is not BA or SA. If they follow the trend, they will eventually migrate to BA, SA and GA books, but right now CA is what they are most familiar with and that is what they are chasing. It happened with SA back in the day, then BA, so it only makes sense that demographics are impacting the CA market now as well.

Perhaps there's a Rule that shows what happens to things that came out 25 years previously?

hm

Every. Single. Time.

2 more years, and I can cash out on my Pre-Unity Valiant hoard :devil:

hm

Every. Single. Time.

but ... but... By using logical falicies, people have proven that no such law exists :insane:

I think you mean people in their 30s, but I see your point.

Yeah, I'm 35 and I am most familiar with CA books. Those were the books I was buying off the shelves when I was 10-13.

Yeah, I'm 35 and I am most familiar with CA books. Those were the books I was buying off the shelves when I was 10-13.

This is spot on.

Really? Things you want to buy now as collectibles are things you were buying 25 years previously? You don't say. lol

hm

Every. Single. Time.

2 more years, and I can cash out on my Pre-Unity Valiant hoard :devil:

:whee:

No, the new early 20s types I see at shows are buying the CA keys, as the people in their 30s (me included) chase the BA/SA/GA keys. They did not grow up reading the books, but when they started reading comics, characters like Deadpool, Venom, Carnage, Harley, etc. were big deals so this is where they initially gravitate towards regarding keys. As those are checked off the list they will follow the same progression that the rest of us did in either going BA to SA to GA or SA to GA as they can afford bigger books.

hm

Every. Single. Time.

Then how come all of the Marvel New Universe titles I have picked up in collections over the past couple of years are dead? lol

Agreed re: the rule, though, on keys. That is the place to park your $$$$ - if it was hot back in the day, buy low, store, then flip for a nice profit.

No, the new early 20s types I see at shows are buying the CA keys, as the people in their 30s (me included) chase the BA/SA/GA keys. They did not grow up reading the books, but when they started reading comics, characters like Deadpool, Venom, Carnage, Harley, etc. were big deals so this is where they initially gravitate towards regarding keys. As those are checked off the list they will follow the same progression that the rest of us did in either going BA to SA to GA or SA to GA as they can afford bigger books.

This is correct. The mythos is first established, then the true seeker finds the grail. :grin:

Well I'm 34, and I'm definitely not chasing anything older than copper (90% of my focus is modern, or 90s-current).

i think copper is here to stay. a lot of it has been massed produced w/ astronomical 90's print runs sure, but like others are saying the rule of 25 definitely applies here.

also not sure if this has been brought up, but even though there are a lot of coppers in the market, how many of the keys that people are looking for are really worth a flip grade wise. high grade books are few and far in between now 20+ years later. i see plenty of ragged nm 98's but most people don't want them.

many have just been lost to time, so the print run of a collector worthy copper book is much less than the actual print run of the book.

Wizard: The Guide to Comics turns 25 in 2016, and anything Wizard Top Ten said was hot... was once hot.

(Even if it was mostly hype, those books were "wanted" for all the kids who didn't have them.)

How many hundreds of thousands of teens were eating up Wizard in the early 1990s like it was candy?

Before the internet... those monthly price guides WERE the market for kids.

Anything we couldn't afford was a "someday I'll have it" kind of book.

So, look at a bunch of the early Wizard Top Ten or Comic Watch lists... buy now... sell in 2 to 5 years.

(Ignore anything with a million copies printed... literally, one million is too many.) (:

Wizard%20Top%2010%20Comics%201992%20May%20Issue%2010.jpg

wizard6.jpg

That's what I've been doing with Valiant since 1997... I started the "rule of 25" in my head when the books were 6.

Call it my "get-rich-quick-overnight-nineteen-year-plan". lol

Not really. I'd have to sell to take advantage of the rule of 25. I'm something like 99% buy, 1% sell for 17 years in a row. :facepalm:

I wanted the books, found Ebay when I was in college. Started my nostalgia early.

But I have added some of the non-Valiant Wizard Top Ten books more recently... purely for nostalgia.

Vengeance of Bane, ASM 361, Man of Steel 18, etc.

I just lost on an auction for Moon Knight 55.

Why would I want that? Because after 20 years, I remember that I never had it.

Wizard: The Guide to Comics turns 25 in 2016, and anything Wizard Top Ten said was hot... was once hot.

(Even if it was mostly hype, those books were "wanted" for all the kids who didn't have them.)

How many hundreds of thousands of teens were eating up Wizard in the early 1990s like it was candy?

Before the internet... those monthly price guides WERE the market for kids.

Anything we couldn't afford was a "someday I'll have it" kind of book.

So, look at a bunch of the early Wizard Top Ten or Comic Watch lists... buy now... sell in 2 to 5 years.

(Ignore anything with a million copies printed... literally, one million is too many.) (:

Wizard%20Top%2010%20Comics%201992%20May%20Issue%2010.jpg

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

The prices on that New Teen Titans 44 continue to wow me. Not even 2 years ago you could pick up slabbed 9.8 copies of that book for $50 or less. Really unless Nightwing ever makes it to the big screen I don't see what the big deal is with that book and why everyone feels the need to skyrocket it.

This book is essentially a mega key in the Batman mythos. Some day I will write up a lengthy post about how important this book is. It also isn't hurting it any that is the origin of Deathstroke. Finally the black cover does make it tougher than average to find in very high grade compared to many other CA books. (Only 50 or so new 9.8 have popped up on the census since it became a hot book mid 2013.)

And continues to climb.

Direct edition 9.8s are now $400 a pop

"Anything we couldn't afford was a "someday I'll have it" kind of book."

Wizard Magazine was the seed for my comic collecting. It didn't germinate until I was about 26, but I can trace it all back to that rag. Perusing the priceguide at the back introduced me to alot of those 'someday I'll have it' books.

"Huh, so that was Sabretooth's first appearance..."