• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,854 posts in this topic

You have to realize that everything that gets posted here, even if it appears to go overlooked, gets disseminated to every other comic related destination on the internet.

And the reverse also holds true, and lots of you are too insulated and somehow believe that when it appears on CGC, it's never been discussed anywhere else.

I have seen many cases of "hot books" being discussed elsewhere well before the news hits the CGC forums, then it may even reach comic news outlets, and people on here naively take credit for the sudden price spike.

We're not always first with the news, and I think people need to understand that.

hm comparing speculation prices on moderns to prices on coppers is almost as dumb as trying to argue with RMA.

Please don't post about me. Thanks.

lol

lol Yeah, it's not like he needs the press. :whistle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181294944457

lol

"And Sunflower too!"

lol

(Scene: Deadpool has just arrived after an epic battle between Wolverine, Sunfire, and the yakuza.)

Deapool: "Whoops. Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short, as usual."

Wolverine: "More like $3.50."

Deadpool: "What? You guys were fighting Nessie, too?"

(During this exchange, Sunfire glares in confused anger at both)

Sunfire: "I'm sure your drivel is wonderfully exciting to the young girls in America...."

Deadpool and Wolverine (in unison): "....Canada"

Sunfire: "Whatever. We have a mess to clean up, bodies to dispose of. Wilson, do you think you could give us a hand, or are you just going to stand their and make jokes all day?"

Deadpool: "Wha...? Stand there and make JOKES? Look, Sunflower..."

Sunfire (glaring): "That's SunFIRE."

Deadpool: "Sure, whatever you say, Sunflamer..."

Sunfire: "THAT. IS. SUN....FIRE."

(Wolverine & Deadpool snicker)

There. My very first comic book -script.

I'm published!

:acclaim:

:whistle:

:golfclap:

You have to realize that everything that gets posted here, even if it appears to go overlooked, gets disseminated to every other comic related destination on the internet.

And the reverse also holds true, and lots of you are too insulated and somehow believe that when it appears on CGC, it's never been discussed anywhere else.

I have seen many cases of "hot books" being discussed elsewhere well before the news hits the CGC forums, then it may even reach comic news outlets, and people on here naively take credit for the sudden price spike.

We're not always first with the news, and I think people need to understand that.

:golfclap:

hm comparing speculation prices on moderns to prices on coppers is almost as dumb as trying to argue with RMA.

It isn't exclusive to moderns though. And the book I used as an example isn't a modern that came out within the last few years that got hyped up before it released and slathered with praise and labeled as a low print run must buy buy buy flip flip flip book. That book was ignored until it was mentioned here. Discussion here led to eBay sales. People see the completed listings on eBay, notice the increase in price and make the decision to buy into it or not. When there are relatively few listings for the book and a semi-legitimate reason fueling demand for the book it is quite easy for other people to buy into the idea that the book is now worth more.

You want an older book? Look at the first appearance of Doomsday. Yes 17 and 18 of Man of Steel were selling for decent prices for awhile. But a few months ago those books were discussed here quite a bit and those books saw a significant jump in price. 18 was always quite liquid on eBay easily selling for 10 to 20 dollars and "the market" had no problem accepting the price on that book doubling or tripling despite the significant influx of copies that were listed after the book was talked about here.

Need an even older example? Avengers 181.

It isn't exclusive to moderns though. And the book I used as an example isn't a modern that came out within the last few years that got hyped up before it released and slathered with praise and labeled as a low print run must buy buy buy flip flip flip book. That book was ignored until it was mentioned here. Discussion here led to eBay sales. People see the completed listings on eBay, notice the increase in price and make the decision to buy into it or not. When there are relatively few listings for the book and a semi-legitimate reason fueling demand for the book it is quite easy for other people to buy into the idea that the book is now worth more.

You want an older book? Look at the first appearance of Doomsday. Yes 17 and 18 of Man of Steel were selling for decent prices for awhile. But a few months ago those books were discussed here quite a bit and those books saw a significant jump in price. 18 was always quite liquid on eBay easily selling for 10 to 20 dollars and "the market" had no problem accepting the price on that book doubling or tripling despite the significant influx of copies that were listed after the book was talked about here.

Need an even older example? Avengers 181.

When you compare a book that lost values based on delays to a book that is no longer being published you lose your argument. (thumbs u

Us always being first to talk about a book wasn't the argument. RMA asked the forum if anyone still believes this board can't have tremendous influence on the price/demand for a book.

You disagreed and wrote "Sure crazyman, you just let me know when you find any verifiable FACTS 100% linking the CGC Forums to the rapid price jump in a given issue."

This has already proven to be true.

It only makes sense that on the CGC forums, the accepted grading company by the industry, talk and discussion of a specific book will draw the attention of the market to that book.

For every board user that responds to a post there are tens or hundreds more that read the post who never respond even though they agree with what was said, all of whom are asking themselves whether they should buy into a book or not. You don't even have to leave the board to figure this out. A book sees a decent amount of attention here and in less than 24 hours someone or several someones will have a WTB thread posted.

There's always been heat on the turtles....but I thought it was noteworthy that a 9.2 recent sale hit new GPA highs for that grade:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131123042628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now back to your regulary scheduled program. :)

I actually prefer this than the regularly scheduled program (current banter).

No, people see facts, data, and evidence and draw conclusions based thereof, not on what they "want."

Sure crazyman, you just let me know when you find any verifiable FACTS 100% linking the CGC Forums to the rapid price jump in a given issue.

You're like a whacko wearing an anti-alligator necklace in Alaska, and when you question him about its validity:

"I ain't never been bit by an alligator, and I don't reckon I will".

You need to learn how to have a discussion without being insulting. Your points aren't made stronger by calling people names.

+1

Just thought I could add a few thoughts here... I think it's my bid that drove the Supergirl #1 3rd print to the $31 level on the auction Whetteon referenced originally. It might be worth noting that in previous weeks, I have bid higher on the same book, but more copies appear to be coming into the market. Most of these have had high reserves, so I'm not sure we have read on a "fair market value" on this book yet...

In terms of whether this board drives the prices on a book like this? I'd say it's a yes and no thing... I'm an Overstreet Advisor, and I've mentioned this book once or twice in the last few years in my market reports, so the discussion is definitely wider than these boards alone. Having said that, I do think these boards are pretty influential. I try to use a lot of sources to track trends, but I'll be the first to say that sometimes I'll draw on what I see here. At the same time, there are lots of books that get mentioned here that don't spike in value. We all know there are some here who like to use the "pump and dump" approach to hot books, while others are overly optimistic about books they're emotionally invested in. Just because a book is mentioned here is not a guarantee it will get hot - but it can't hurt.

I think the more reasonable scenario is "mutual reinforcement"... A book gets mentioned here, prices go up on ebay, CPG adjusts its values (and they seem to watch this site closely), I (or somebody like me) reference it in an Overstreet market report... If the price spike is sustained, we're all part of an ecosystem that legitimizes the increase, and locks it in. There's no question in my mind that sometimes that process starts here, and that there are some incredibly knowledgeable people on these boards, RMA among them (sorry to mention you again!) - but other times, it starts somewhere else and then shows up here.

One possible lesson out of this is that sustained price increases require wider dissemination of awareness. In other words, if no one knows a book is a key or it's hot, it's hard to turn a value increase into a permanent thing. Scarce books (like Supergirl #1 3rd print) can be scarce, but if no one knows they're scarce, and there's no demand as a result, price isn't going anywhere. Talking about the scarcity is a necessary starting point to the whole process...

And let's not forget that Junkdrawer almost single handedly made the BA #12 market.

Greg Reece a year and a half ago was buying every copy of WD #53 and was paying double FMV for it. That book spiked like a mofo, and then Abraham died and no one cared again. Hopefully he kept all those copies because that book has hit the stratosphere since Abe showed up on the show.

Jim

Just thought I could add a few thoughts here... I think it's my bid that drove the Supergirl #1 3rd print to the $31 level on the auction Whetteon referenced originally. It might be worth noting that in previous weeks, I have bid higher on the same book, but more copies appear to be coming into the market. Most of these have had high reserves, so I'm not sure we have read on a "fair market value" on this book yet...

In terms of whether this board drives the prices on a book like this? I'd say it's a yes and no thing... I'm an Overstreet Advisor, and I've mentioned this book once or twice in the last few years in my market reports, so the discussion is definitely wider than these boards alone. Having said that, I do think these boards are pretty influential. I try to use a lot of sources to track trends, but I'll be the first to say that sometimes I'll draw on what I see here. At the same time, there are lots of books that get mentioned here that don't spike in value. We all know there are some here who like to use the "pump and dump" approach to hot books, while others are overly optimistic about books they're emotionally invested in. Just because a book is mentioned here is not a guarantee it will get hot - but it can't hurt.

I think the more reasonable scenario is "mutual reinforcement"... A book gets mentioned here, prices go up on ebay, CPG adjusts its values (and they seem to watch this site closely), I (or somebody like me) reference it in an Overstreet market report... If the price spike is sustained, we're all part of an ecosystem that legitimizes the increase, and locks it in. There's no question in my mind that sometimes that process starts here, and that there are some incredibly knowledgeable people on these boards, RMA among them (sorry to mention you again!) - but other times, it starts somewhere else and then shows up here.

One possible lesson out of this is that sustained price increases require wider dissemination of awareness. In other words, if no one knows a book is a key or it's hot, it's hard to turn a value increase into a permanent thing. Scarce books (like Supergirl #1 3rd print) can be scarce, but if no one knows they're scarce, and there's no demand as a result, price isn't going anywhere. Talking about the scarcity is a necessary starting point to the whole process...

Very. Well. Put. And, of course, there's always "irrational exhuberance".