• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

It appears the only shot at making any real money is to dig through those short boxes of 497 and hopefully find a 9.9-10.0 candidate.

Never said anyone was going to get rich off of these and in fact, I'm willing to bet the entire Knightfall run will heat up in a few years. That 25 year mark is coming up, along with the Death Of Superman. Look at how many Batman 428's are out there? I've seen crazier things happen in comics. Even if Batman 497 only hits $80 in a 9.8, it's still worth it. After ebay fees, Paypal fees, if you can make say $40 a book and sell 200 of them, you're doing alright, How'd you like 200 people to put $40 in your hand? I figured as much.

People still buy Spawn 1's for $70-100 each in 9.8's and that had a much bigger print run than the 497 did.

It appears the only shot at making any real money is to dig through those short boxes of 497 and hopefully find a 9.9-10.0 candidate.

Never said anyone was going to get rich off of these and in fact, I'm willing to bet the entire Knightfall run will heat up in a few years. That 25 year mark is coming up, along with the Death Of Superman. Look at how many Batman 428's are out there? I've seen crazier things happen in comics. Even if Batman 497 only hits $80 in a 9.8, it's still worth it. After ebay fees, Paypal fees, if you can make say $40 a book and sell 200 of them, you're doing alright, How'd you like 200 people to put $40 in your hand? I figured as much.

People still buy Spawn 1's for $70-100 each in 9.8's and that had a much bigger print run than the 497 did.

I don't know if there is one but if 497 had a DC Universe UPC printing then it would be worth buying.

Only flaw in that logic is as the CGC census rises for 9.8s, the value of this book will most likely decrease. This of course begs the question: will demand be strong enough to even warrant submitting this book to CGC? I just can't see it. The DKR movie already introduced Bane and "replayed" (partially) that back-breaking storyline. I think this ship has sailed only to return maybe in another 25 years.

I'm not sure of the print run of Batman 497, but I think Spawn 1 (even at 1.7 million copies) is a better "Rule of 25" bet than Bats 497. It's a first issue from a relatively new publisher (at the time) who had rock-star artists cranking out (in hindsight) comics in the "speculative" age.

All the above, of course, is IMHO.

Meck

How can anyone say for sure what is going to happen? When I see all these dollar bin books going for insane prices, I have no idea where it could all go. 30-somethings nostalgic for Darkhawk - Check. Wolverine prototype in FOOM 2 pushing that book over $500 - Check. Frickin Star Lord appearances blowing up - Check.

If someone announces that Sleepwalker is about to go into production, I will suppress the urge to laugh and start digging through longboxes.

It APPEARSthe only shot at making any real money is to dig through those short boxes of 497 and hopefully find a 9.9-10.0 candidate.

Settle down, spaz. "Appears" doesn't mean definitive. And by your typical defensiveness, it APPEARS you have a lot of money invested in this issue, and want to convince yourself that it was a good decision to buy multiples of it.

It APPEARSthe only shot at making any real money is to dig through those short boxes of 497 and hopefully find a 9.9-10.0 candidate.

Settle down, spaz. "Appears" doesn't mean definitive. And by your typical defensiveness, it APPEARS you have a lot of money invested in this issue, and want to convince yourself that it was a good decision to buy multiples of it.

To be 300% honest with you, I don't own this book.

I don't see you stepping up to the plate or anyone else making bold predictions. Its just a prediction, I didn't say "Man you guys better stock up, I know for a fact this will take off!!

Only flaw in that logic is as the CGC census rises for 9.8s, the value of this book will most likely decrease. This of course begs the question: will demand be strong enough to even warrant submitting this book to CGC? I just can't see it. The DKR movie already introduced Bane and "replayed" (partially) that back-breaking storyline. I think this ship has sailed only to return maybe in another 25 years.

I'm not sure of the print run of Batman 497, but I think Spawn 1 (even at 1.7 million copies) is a better "Rule of 25" bet than Bats 497. It's a first issue from a relatively new publisher (at the time) who had rock-star artists cranking out (in hindsight) comics in the "speculative" age.

All the above, of course, is IMHO.

Meck

I see your point but let's talk about the 1500 9.8's of NM 98, This why I say print runs don't really matter much as long as the demand is there. ASM 300, Hulk 181, NM98 all have big print runs but can't seem to be enough to put a copy in everyone's hand who wants one. Bats 497 won't see that kind of demand but it could "heat up" a bit in a few years.

Ask yourself, what was popular back in the early 90's? ASM 361, Gen13 1, Valiant books, Spawn, Youngblood, Death Of Superman, Batman Knightfall :)

How can anyone say for sure what is going to happen? When I see all these dollar bin books going for insane prices, I have no idea where it could all go. 30-somethings nostalgic for Darkhawk - Check. Wolverine prototype in FOOM 2 pushing that book over $500 - Check. Frickin Star Lord appearances blowing up - Check.

If someone announces that Sleepwalker is about to go into production, I will suppress the urge to laugh and start digging through longboxes.

True. What's going on right now is pushing into loony territory. Star Lord? Rocket Raccoon??????????????????????????? Just amazing

Check. :sumo:

Technically Sleepwalker already appeared on the big screen in True Romance!

images_zpsf054c7f0.jpg

It did not go up in value though :(

Ebay copies of Swamp Thing 25 copies disappeared like that. People are reading the boards

They may be reading, but they aren't comprehending.

John Constantine DOES NOT appear in Saga of the Swamp Thing 25. He had not even been created when that issue came out.

Ebay copies of Swamp Thing 25 copies disappeared like that. People are reading the boards

I hope no one paid too much for them. Personally I would rather buy high grade copies of the dozen or so appearances he made prior to Hellblazer 1, a cgc 9.8 of Crisis 4 and a few copies of the New Teen Titans 22 for good measure.