• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

I like how Boba Fetts son was actually introduced in the novel series first and not in the comics, which in my opinion, makes the comic irrelevant.

Correct, all the Star Wars characters appeared elsewhere first before the comics.

This was a $2 raw NM comic just a few short years ago.

I love it when people make statements like this . . . lol

Why? It's true. You could buy Star Wars #39 - 44 on eBay for many, many years for $15 or less. Many of the copies of Star Wars #42 I have came from lots that I purchase for $10 or so.

Here is a lot I purchased within the past 2 months which was barely over $2 an issue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351046696287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And it contained one of the nicest NM copies of Star Wars 42 that I own. (I posted a picture back in May on the Bronze forums.)

And I promise you, this is far from the best deal I've ever gotten on Marvel Star Wars comics. Far from it. :)

Edited by rjrjr

star wars 42 is not his first cover... that belongs to famous monsters of filmland 165.

I think the poster was talking about first Star Wars comic cover.

ahh....right on. 42 is absolutely correct for comic cover.

I hope you are right. :) But here is why I think the comparison is apples to oranges:

1) X-Factor 6 has the first appearance of a comic character - Star Wars 42 has the first appearance of a movie character in a comic

2) X-Factor 6 is a superhero comic - Star Wars 42 is not

3) X-Factor 6 is part of a family of comics (X-Men) that have a book or two consistently near the top of the 300 comics - Star Wars is part of a family of comics (Star Wars) that typically sell in the middle of the top 300 comics

Star Wars 42 has the potential (pretty much assured) to have a solo movie featuring the character, X-Factor does not.

I hope you are right. :) But here is why I think the comparison is apples to oranges:

1) X-Factor 6 has the first appearance of a comic character - Star Wars 42 has the first appearance of a movie character in a comic

3) X-Factor 6 is part of a family of comics (X-Men) that have a book or two consistently near the top of the 300 comics - Star Wars is part of a family of comics (Star Wars) that typically sell in the middle of the top 300 comics

Star Wars 42 has the potential (pretty much assured) to have a solo movie featuring the character, X-Factor does not.

Honest question, are first appearances of characters that appear in solo movies more highly sought after than first appearances of characters that appear in non-solo movies?

I guess if we are thinking along these lines:

4) Boba Fett has already appeared in 2 movies (technically 3, but...) and Apocalypse has yet to appear in a movie.

Edited by rjrjr

they don't need to fall through the cracks to be good buys. When its announced one of the standalone movies is Boba Fett that book will see a huge gain

The inside leaks about one of the standalone movies being Boba Fett has already led to a run-up in the price for Star War 42. If people are waiting for an official announcement, they will have already missed the party. I'm not sure how much further this issue has to climb.

I disagree. Look at what is happening with X-Factor 6.

SW 42 is going to go up...a lot.

Do you feel Star Wars #42 is going to go higher than Star Wars #1? I don't think it will, so that too me defines its upper price. Star Wars #1 contains the first comic book appearances of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia, at least two of which are going to be in upcoming movies. If the leaks are true, Darth Vader will be used to promote the new movies next year in 2 TV specials. Star Wars #2 has the first appearances of Han Solo and Chewbacca. Han Solo is also the subject of one of the upcoming Star Wars spinoff movies. One thing all 3 comics (Star Wars #1, #2, and #42) have in common is none of them are rare in high grade.

Is there a precedence for a movie character's first appearance in a comic book to be priced at the same value as comic character peers? Even Star Trek #1 (Gold Key) is not at the same value as it's superhero peers.

Again, I hope you are right as I have boxes of Marvel Star Wars comics I've been collecting over the years. It would be nice to think I can convert some of those comics to actual money when I decide to give up collecting. But, history has shown the superhero characters get all the collectors attention and money. Look at 300, Watchmen, and a dozen other movies made from comic books which don't feature superheroes. The only thing I see that Star Wars has over these other properties is it's longevity. But then again, Star Trek has been around even longer and while the first issue is worth quite a bit, it is pittance next to superhero titles from the same era.

The new Star Wars has the potential to be, well, the old Star Wars. These movies could be more successful than any Marvel movie featuring superheroes to date. Considering his limited screen time in in the original movies his popularity has already reached absurd levels. But the character has largely been ignored, which means there is a whole lot of his story left to tell. The ship has pretty much sailed on Luke, Leia, and Vader. Provided a Fett movie does get made, and that its a success - both of these things being very likely - how quickly does his single solo (no pun intended) movie become a solo trilogy?

they don't need to fall through the cracks to be good buys. When its announced one of the standalone movies is Boba Fett that book will see a huge gain

The inside leaks about one of the standalone movies being Boba Fett has already led to a run-up in the price for Star War 42. If people are waiting for an official announcement, they will have already missed the party. I'm not sure how much further this issue has to climb.

Do you feel Star Wars #42 is going to go higher than Star Wars #1? I don't think it will, so that too me defines its upper price. Star Wars #1 contains the first comic book appearances of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia, at least two of which are going to be in upcoming movies. If the leaks are true, Darth Vader will be used to promote the new movies next year in 2 TV specials. Star Wars #2 has the first appearances of Han Solo and Chewbacca. Han Solo is also the subject of one of the upcoming Star Wars spinoff movies. One thing all 3 comics (Star Wars #1, #2, and #42) have in common is none of them are rare in high grade.

Is there a precedence for a movie character's first appearance in a comic book to be priced at the same value as comic character peers? Even Star Trek #1 (Gold Key) is not at the same value as it's superhero peers.

Again, I hope you are right as I have boxes of Marvel Star Wars comics I've been collecting over the years. It would be nice to think I can convert some of those comics to actual money when I decide to give up collecting. But, history has shown the superhero characters get all the collectors attention and money. Look at 300, Watchmen, and a dozen other movies made from comic books which don't feature superheroes. The only thing I see that Star Wars has over these other properties is it's longevity. But then again, Star Trek has been around even longer and while the first issue is worth quite a bit, it is pittance next to superhero titles from the same era.

The new Star Wars has the potential to be, well, the old Star Wars. These movies could be more successful than any Marvel movie featuring superheroes to date. Considering his limited screen time in in the original movies his popularity has already reached absurd levels. But the character has largely been ignored, which means there is a whole lot of his story left to tell. The ship has pretty much sailed on Luke, Leia, and Vader. Provided a Fett movie does get made, and that its a success - both of these things being very likely - how quickly does his single solo (no pun intended) movie become a solo trilogy?

Has the ship already sailed on Thanos? Deadpool? What makes these character's different than Luke, Leia, Han, or Darth Vader?

Also, Boba Fett is probably the one movie "background" character with the *most* stories told in books, comics, and even TV shows (Clone Wars.) I would argue the character has not been ignored, but has probably reach a point of overexposure which is probably why Dark Horse stopped publishing comics with the character. With all that existing exposure, one solo movie or even a trilogy is going to send the comic prices going up? Why hasn't all these other things (movies, other comics, TV show, etc.) propelled the price of Star Wars #42 before now?

darkstar, I appreciate your keeping the conversation civil. I'm not sure we will see eye to eye on this one. That's okay. I understand the point you are trying to make and I do hope you are right. And, there must be something to your line of thinking, as the Star Wars #42 has been going up in price this past year or so. I am as big a fan of these Star Wars characters as the next person, I just don't understand how one movie announcement can make that big a difference on the price of Star Wars #42. (shrug)

Edited by rjrjr

Honest question, are first appearances of characters that appear in solo movies more highly sought after than first appearances of characters that appear in non-solo movies?

I guess if we are thinking along these lines:

4) Boba Fett has already appeared in 2 movies (technically 3, but...) and Apocalypse has yet to appear in a movie.

Probably depends how well the movie does these days. That has the ability to really move the needle now.

Has the ship already sailed on Thanos? Deadpool? What makes these character's different than Luke, Leia, Han, or Darth Vader?

Those are comic characters. What happens to them, regardless of the medium, is largely irrelevant, as it will just be changed, dismissed, or forgotten about to tell a future story. There is very little to no cannon with any of them. Star Wars characters are pretty much locked into what happened to them so far on the big screen; their characters arcs are pretty much already permanently written.

Also, Boba Fett is probably the one movie "background" character with the *most* stories told in books, comics, and even TV shows (Clone Wars.) I would argue the character has not been ignored, but has probably reach a point of overexposure which is probably why Dark Horse stopped publishing comics with the character.

My apologies, meant ignored on the big screen. Of course he pops up in every other avenue of Star Wars entertainment and merchandise. There is lot of meat left on the bone to flesh out the character though, especially since Disney has the option to retcon everything that came before and was depicted in the comics, books, and television.

With all that existing exposure, one solo movie or even a trilogy is going to send the comic prices going up? Why hasn't all these other things (movies, other comics, TV show, etc.) propelled the price of Star Wars #42 before now?

I don't know. It worked for Apocalypse and X-Factor 6 though. And handfuls of other books and characters, the vast majority of which also aren't rare.

Also, Boba Fett is probably the one movie "background" character with the *most* stories told in books, comics, and even TV shows (Clone Wars.) I would argue the character has not been ignored, but has probably reach a point of overexposure which is probably why Dark Horse stopped publishing comics with the character. With all that existing exposure, one solo movie or even a trilogy is going to send the comic prices going up? Why hasn't all these other things (movies, other comics, TV show, etc.) propelled the price of Star Wars #42 before now?

darkstar, I appreciate your keeping the conversation civil. I'm not sure we will see eye to eye on this one. That's okay. I understand the point you are trying to make and I do hope you are right. And, there must be something to your line of thinking, as the Star Wars #42 has been going up in price this past year or so. I am as big a fan of these Star Wars characters as the next person, I just don't understand how one movie announcement can make that big a difference on the price of Star Wars #42. (shrug)

I guess it really doesn't matter what we think about SW 42 as long as someone else thinks it will go up. That person convinces another buyer and so on and so on.

Just need more sheep and in the SW world there are a lot of sheep.

Wouldn't Star Wars 42 and Batman Adventures 12 be in the same league?? Both appeared in TV or movies before book appearance. It hasn't stopped BA 12 from blowing up.

Comparing anything to Star Wars :facepalm:

Actually it's more like comparing the popularity of Boba Fett to the popularity of Harley Quinn.

I like Star Wars as much as anyone but ask a 10 year old kid who Boba Fett is right now and I'm not sure he would know. Ask a 40 year old kid and that's a different story...

Superman Adventures 20 on Ebay being gobbled up quick, Volcana is the new Livewire!

No Zack. No.

You mentioned this earlier and I bought all the copies on ebay and I bought a copy today at a store.

Have you read Superman Adventures #20? I have. Volcana is not in it. SO NO ZACK. NO.

Superman Adventures 20 on Ebay being gobbled up quick, Volcana is the new Livewire!

also lots of talk she doesnt even appear in the comic at all... can anyone breeze thru the book and confirm?

update: thanks jimmy!!

Edited by azcards4ever