• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

im still wondering why Fett gets all the attention. im pretty sure star wars 41 is yoda's first comic appearance, he has a much larger fan base than fett and there had been talk of a solo yoda film.

As cool as Yoda Boba Fett is not. Volcana, neither is. Yes, hmmm.

funny-yoda-graph.jpg

Wouldn't Star Wars 42 and Batman Adventures 12 be in the same league?? Both appeared in TV or movies before book appearance. It hasn't stopped BA 12 from blowing up.

Comparing anything to Star Wars :facepalm:

Actually it's more like comparing the popularity of Boba Fett to the popularity of Harley Quinn.

I like Star Wars as much as anyone but ask a 10 year old kid who Boba Fett is right now and I'm not sure he would know. Ask a 40 year old kid and that's a different story...

Star Wars is the number one boys toy in the toy aisles. Boba Fett is a perennial favorite of this toy line and his character has been featured on the Clone Wars. Trust me, 10 year olds know who Boba Fett is.

But, I wonder how many 10 year old boys know who Harley Quinn is?

Edited by rjrjr

Star Wars is the number one boys toy in the toy aisles. Boba Fett is a perennial favorite of this toy line and his character has been featured on the Clone Wars. Trust me, 10 year olds know who Boba Fett is.

hm

Wouldn't Star Wars 42 and Batman Adventures 12 be in the same league?? Both appeared in TV or movies before book appearance. It hasn't stopped BA 12 from blowing up.

Actually it's more like comparing the popularity of Boba Fett to the popularity of Harley Quinn.

I like Star Wars as much as anyone but ask a 10 year old kid who Boba Fett is right now and I'm not sure he would know. Ask a 40 year old kid and that's a different story...

Star Wars is the number one toy line for boys?? Currently?? Is there a link to that? Because I have 4 kids and we go to Toys R Us, Target, like twice a week and the space in the aisle for Star Wars toys has shrunk down to above barely nothing. Meanwhile Marvel and even DC toys continue to grow based on the characters.

I'm sure when the new Star Wars movies come out that will change.

They do. At least, my 11 year old son does. :grin:

How? From the PS3 Arkham Asylum video game.

But, your point is valid. The average 10 year old boy will recognize Boba before HQ, I'm sure. That may not matter, though. The HQ fan base tends to be female.

Star Wars is the number one toy line for boys?? Currently?? Is there a link to that? Because I have 4 kids and we go to Toys R Us, Target, like twice a week and the space in the aisle for Star Wars toys has shrunk down to above barely nothing. Meanwhile Marvel and even DC toys continue to grow based on the characters.

Top properties for the year based on total dollar sales (in alphabetical order) included Barbie, Disney Princess, Monster High, Nerf, and Star Wars.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/the-npd-group-report-on-u-s-toy-industry-retail-sales-for-2013/

You may be right about Star Wars not being the number 1 boys toy right now. (shrug) I know a few years ago when the Clone Wars was on TV, Star Wars toys was the top seller for boys. I guess it has been a while since that show was on TV.

Hopefully you see my original points about not understanding why Star Wars 42 will keep rising in value? Boba Fett has been a fairly popular character for some time and Star Wars 42 wasn't a breakout issue until the last couple of years. A possible movie gets leaked and now the issue is in demand.

Are Boba Fett fans driving this demand or speculators? The Boba Fett fans have always been there. This is what I don't get about the correlation between a movie and a comic book value. I'm not convinced these rising prices have anything to do with the fans, but with speculators and collectors jumping on board a property hoping they don't miss the boat. They are driving the prices, not fans, cosplayers, etc.

Edited by rjrjr

This is what I don't get about the correlation between a movie and a comic book value. I'm not convinced these rising prices have anything to do with the fans, but with speculators and collectors jumping on board a property hoping they don't miss the boat. They are driving the prices, not fans, cosplayers, etc.

^^

Edited by mysterio

This is what I don't get about the correlation between a movie and a comic book value. I'm not convinced these rising prices have anything to do with the fans, but with speculators and collectors jumping on board a property hoping they don't miss the boat. They are driving the prices, not fans, cosplayers, etc.

^^

A bit too much of a blanket statement for my tastes. I agree that for the most part, speculators are driving the prices of hyped books up, but to some extent the public at large is contributing.

For example, for Xmen 141-142, many FORMER collectors are looking for these comics after YEARS of non-collecting because of the movie. They're not speculators, they're just former comic collectors who want them for nostalgia, and don't mind paying a bit more for them.

For Harely Quinn, she's caught on with women especially, for any myriad of reasons, not because of speculation, BUT the speculators are helping to drive prices up more than they other wise would have been. I've seen lots of girls ask about Harley at shows and at LCS, and in my opinion they don't look like they're out to flip them.

Just like anything else, sometimes speculators help throw fuel on the fire, but usually there has to be a spark there to begin with. And sometimes the fire will burn out, sometimes get bigger, sometimes stay the same. The most money is to be made when you can consistently predict what the fire will do.

Sometimes though, the speculators will like the spark AND throw the fuel. Sometimes the fire takes, sometimes it doesn't.

In summary, there's a lot of arguments in this thread and great discussion, but to consistently apply one method of thinking broadly to every situation REALLY doesn't work, its just too subjective. We should respect each other enough to debate / discuss without crushing personal vindictives, and I think should realize that blanket statements and absolutes really don't help to lend credibility to any given point.

^^

A bit too much of a blanket statement for my tastes. I agree that for the most part, speculators are driving the prices of hyped books up, but to some extent the public at large is contributing.

For example, for Xmen 141-142, many FORMER collectors are looking for these comics after YEARS of non-collecting because of the movie. They're not speculators, they're just former comic collectors who want them for nostalgia, and don't mind paying a bit more for them.

For Harely Quinn, she's caught on with women especially, for any myriad of reasons, not because of speculation, BUT the speculators are helping to drive prices up more than they other wise would have been. I've seen lots of girls ask about Harley at shows and at LCS, and in my opinion they don't look like they're out to flip them.

Just like anything else, sometimes speculators help throw fuel on the fire, but usually there has to be a spark there to begin with. And sometimes the fire will burn out, sometimes get bigger, sometimes stay the same. The most money is to be made when you can consistently predict what the fire will do.

Sometimes though, the speculators will like the spark AND throw the fuel. Sometimes the fire takes, sometimes it doesn't.

In summary, there's a lot of arguments in this thread and great discussion, but to consistently apply one method of thinking broadly to every situation REALLY doesn't work, its just too subjective. We should respect each other enough to debate / discuss without crushing personal vindictives, and I think should realize that blanket statements and absolutes really don't help to lend credibility to any given point.

You're right, but I do tend to think it is a heavier dose of speculation and a lighter dose of new blood coming into (or back into) the market for these books. Star Wars #42 is a perfect example of this, as discussed over the last several pages. Boba Fett has been pretty well represented in many different media for many years, so there is no particular reason for that book to jump now other than the hope/fear that a new movie will drive the price up. Speculators are buying low to sell high, collectors are hoping to buy low before the price jumps and they are priced out. Either way, it is a spiral of hyped prices that looks a little bubbly.

Seriously, I think as the internet has evolved to the degree that it has, the distinction between dealers, specualtors and collectors has blurred significantly, if not entirely. Anyone can buy and sell. People choose their own labels as to what they call themselves. And, ownership by its nature, is transient.

^^

This sentiment is particularly narrow-minded.

I dunno, Clone Wars and all that stuff is pretty popular among my almost 9 year old son's cohort

You may be right about Star Wars not being the number 1 boys toy right now. (shrug) I know a few years ago when the Clone Wars was on TV, Star Wars toys was the top seller for boys. I guess it has been a while since that show was on TV.

Hopefully you see my original points about not understanding why Star Wars 42 will keep rising in value? Boba Fett has been a fairly popular character for some time and Star Wars 42 wasn't a breakout issue until the last couple of years. A possible movie gets leaked and now the issue is in demand.

Are Boba Fett fans driving this demand or speculators? The Boba Fett fans have always been there. This is what I don't get about the correlation between a movie and a comic book value. I'm not convinced these rising prices have anything to do with the fans, but with speculators and collectors jumping on board a property hoping they don't miss the boat. They are driving the prices, not fans, cosplayers, etc.

Boba Fett is more popular among the hardcore star wars fans than the main characters. Heck, Jango Fett was the only character in the films I didn't want to see dead.

With that said, no reason why it can't be, and continue to be, a $50-$125 raw book with higher upside in 9.8land if NTT # 2 is now a $100-$150 raw book and lord knows what Hulk 271 is now and that was a 50 cent box book 2 years ago.