• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

I don't understand why people are so mad over this book taking off? If things like this make you upset, maybe it's time to leave the hobby?

No anger here. In fact, no emotion at all. Just discussing underlying causes for the rise of the book.

Do you ever watch CNBC? When someone argues a bear case for a stock, or is skeptical about a sudden parabolic rise in that stock's price, do you think that analyst is mad about the price rise, or is upset he/she missed the boat on that stock? (shrug)

It is possible to discuss these things without ulterior motive or emotion.

I don't understand why people are so mad over this book taking off? If things like this make you upset, maybe it's time to leave the hobby?

No anger here. In fact, no emotion at all. Just discussing underlying causes for the rise of the book.

Do you ever watch CNBC? When someone argues a bear case for a stock, or is skeptical about a sudden parabolic rise in that stock's price, do you think that analyst is mad about the price rise, or is upset he/she missed the boat on that stock? (shrug)

Like I said before, it's disposable income, like movie tickets. You take this investment thing way too seriously. The vast majority of comic books sell for under $50. These purchases are not "investments".

Btw, anyone who watches CNBC doesn't really have a clue (about anything). lol

That they missed the boat. They obviously didn't recognize it in the first place so how much "stock" do you put in their opinion anyway?

Like I said before, it's disposable income, like movie tickets.

Is it? Maybe in some cases.

How about the money spent on CGC 9.8 Sixth Gun 1s? How about the fire sales you occasionally see in sales threads?

Dismissing it as disposable income is putting lipstick on a pig.

Like I said before, it's disposable income, like movie tickets. You take this investment thing way too seriously. The vast majority of comic books sell for under $50. These purchases are not "investments".

Btw, anyone who watches CNBC doesn't really have a clue (about anything). lol

Right, If people were really investing their money in comics, we'd all be buying high grade pedigree golden age.

Like I said before, it's disposable income, like movie tickets.

Is it? Maybe in some cases.

How about the money spent on CGC 9.8 Sixth Gun 1s? How about the fire sales you occasionally see in sales threads?

No, you forget the stupidity factor. It's a fairly universal element to the hype machine. There's no accounting for it. But that doesn't mean, "The end is near!". lol

And btw, I know you knew my "third grade level" argument was a joke, but that seems to be lost on others around here.

Right, If people were really investing their money in comics intelligently, we'd all be buying high grade pedigree golden age.

Fixed it for you.

Think of it like getting a few free IQ points.

You should seriously consider watching less TV . . . :baiting:

Just CNBC at lunch, and sports in the evening for me.

Right, If people were really investing their money in comics intelligently, we'd all be buying high grade pedigree golden age.

Fixed it for you.

Wrong. If people were investing their money in comics intelligently, they'd be buying blue chip "stocks", irrelevant of age or grade or pedigree concerns.

The vast majority of "OMG, I can't believe they paid $XXX for this!" posts on here are NOT under the $50 mark, and those are the ones people are talking about.

So are you saying that no percentage of naysayers exist who would try to cool the market value of the book because they missed the boat?

No, but I would say the percentage of such "brainless malcontents" is extremely low, like less than 1% of 1%, since they have no monetary reason to do so. Time is money, so only a fool would waste it without a payoff.

On the other hand, of those mass-hyping the books, I would estimate a very large percentage of those do have a stake in it, through available books they want to sell. It's just the nature of the beast, and this whole "haters are trying to ruin my sales because they're jealous" fantasy you're promoting is pretty freaking crazy, even for the CGC boards. :facepalm:

I am not promoting anything you say in your last statement. I am certainly not the first to state that people may try and cool a comic they don't have so please refrain from trying to make it look like I came up with some "crazy fantasy " I have plenty of crazy fantasies like having sex on the back of a dragon in flight or for the comic market to accurately reflect the first appearance of Wolverine but I certainly don't have the time to waste on your ''haters" theory.

Edited by MrWeen

Fixed it for you.

Wrong. If people were investing their money in comics intelligently, they'd be buying blue chip "stocks", irrelevant of age or grade or pedigree concerns.

Maybe you're wrong FD, Buying stocks isn't for everyone and you're taking a bigger risk, the only way to make money with stocks is to sell them, you have to turn the stock into money otherwise you're only "rich on paper"

Fixed it for you.

You could certainly use some yourself.

Fixed it for you.

Sorry, I should have adjusted that accordingly. Would've been more than a bite sized fix, though. :grin:

Fixed it for you.

You could certainly use some yourself.

I shine brightly in comparison to you. :grin:

You make us all look pretty good.

Fixed it for you.

Maybe you're wrong FD, Buying stocks isn't for everyone and you're taking a bigger risk, the only way to make money with stocks is to sell them, you have to turn the stock into money otherwise you're only "rich on paper"

Ummm......I believe the reference to blue chip "stocks" was key comics based on the "irrelevant of age or grade or pedigree concerns". I agree with that - buy the keys and you will be fine.

The vast majority of "OMG, I can't believe they paid $XXX for this!" posts on here are NOT under the $50 mark, and those are the ones people are talking about.

Uh, what's that, like two, maybe three? This is the copper forum in case you forgot where you were posting . . . :baiting: