• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

Right now there is great $$$ to be made from CA books since you can snag collections for so cheap. I am curious to see how things end, but this reminds me a lot of the action on BA books from 2003 - 2005 (maybe starting a bit earlier).

Snagging collections "for cheap" depends entirely on where you are. Maybe in Canada, but here in SoCal, it's simply not possible.

So true, up here I can throw a dead cat and hit high grade collections all day long. I was in California this summer and traveled up and down the coast and there was nothing but garbage to pick at. Mind you, my trip wasn't about finding comics, it was to relax so maybe there is stuff out there but the shops carried rags for back issues and everything was priced the highest I've ever seen.

Interesting. We are fortunate here then with Copper and older collections. They pop up on a regular basis. For example, last night I picked up 700 or so book that included a NMish run of Sandman #1-75, a nice run of Swamp Thing #37 - 171, and New Teen Titans/Tales of #1-59 plus a bunch of other nice books (e.g. Transformers #1, 3, 4; Power Man & Iron Fist #56 up, Avengers #190 - 230, some Tecs, GLs, Spideys, etc.)

You and I live parallel lives.

I can't even get the material to CGC fast enough. For me, it's simply based

on not having enough time to process the books and have them ready for submission.

There are quite a few of us in town that are actively buying and selling collections. I can tell the health of the market here in Edmonton based on the number of keys/collections that stores are buying and selling as well - even the small ones have picked up and moved one or two nice collections over the past 18 months. My file LCS just landed a nice HG late SA/BA/CA collection that yielded a nice stack of CGC 9.4 - 9.8 late SA through mid BA books (including a 9.6 IM #55, 9.8 Dr. Strange #1, 9.4 Ghost Rider #1, some 9.8 ASMs, etc.).

Ryan is correct. We've picked up a couple good sized collections over the last year and a couple smaller ones. We also know of a couple more big collections but one seller expects full retail and the other is just a bit higher than we want to spend. If you work hard you can find them.

I get the income part...frigging $3.60 gasoline...grumble grumble, but if the supply is so plentiful ought there be an impact on prices attained?

As for younger population, canada is a little older per capita than the u.s. about 40 vs. 38 or so. what i suspect is that the younger working age people in canada might be getting a better deal in terms of wages and benefiting from the economy than the typical 30 year old here who is paying off student loans and paying for the enjoyable retirements of baby boomers and 15% tax rates of hedge fund managers. (no offense to boomer members on the board.) it was so awesome buying my house in 2006 for 12X what the boomers I bought it from paid for it in 1977 and they got to clear $500K in cap gains tax free in the process as well!

Alberta is lower in age than the national average due to the employment market here. Basically, we are attracting a lot of younger working age people from other regions to the province.

WRT the supply vs. demand, while there are plenty of collections to be found there are more people looking for books here. The past three years we have had kids as young as 13 buy $100+ high demand/key SA and BA books. There has been a noticeable shift in the average age of people at shows buying books as well - it is probably 10 years younger than what it was in 2007/08.

Edited by kimik

Ahh, so you're looking at the SOLD listings only.

Have to be careful there, as some of those sales go back to early August.

That's why I look at Completed; shows you what sold AND what didn't. So DCP #27 may have been selling for $25 in August, but no one is really buying it now.

I was buying these for $1 last year. Seem to be doing pretty good to me.

Where were you finding them? I've been watching for them on eBay for well over a year and they don't come up that often in high grade.

That's why I look at Completed; shows you what sold AND what didn't. So DCP #27 may have been selling for $25 in August, but no one is really buying it now.

Where were you finding them? I've been watching for them on eBay for well over a year and they don't come up that often in high grade.

LCSs that are out of touch with current market values.

So true.

Right now there is great $$$ to be made from CA books since you can snag collections for so cheap. I am curious to see how things end, but this reminds me a lot of the action on BA books from 2003 - 2005 (maybe starting a bit earlier).

Snagging collections "for cheap" depends entirely on where you are. Maybe in Canada, but here in SoCal, it's simply not possible.

So true, up here I can throw a dead cat and hit high grade collections all day long. I was in California this summer and traveled up and down the coast and there was nothing but garbage to pick at. Mind you, my trip wasn't about finding comics, it was to relax so maybe there is stuff out there but the shops carried rags for back issues and everything was priced the highest I've ever seen.

Interesting. We are fortunate here then with Copper and older collections. They pop up on a regular basis. For example, last night I picked up 700 or so book that included a NMish run of Sandman #1-75, a nice run of Swamp Thing #37 - 171, and New Teen Titans/Tales of #1-59 plus a bunch of other nice books (e.g. Transformers #1, 3, 4; Power Man & Iron Fist #56 up, Avengers #190 - 230, some Tecs, GLs, Spideys, etc.)

You will never find that sort of material her in SoCal. And if you do, you're paying for it.

The few times I've gone to look at collections have been massive wastes of time. People with no clue how much their stuff is worth, and think it's worth a fortune. I have tried to explain, but to no avail. These people get offended, and think you're trying to cheat them, when you won't pay $1/book for their 90's post-Unity Valiants, so the only thing to do is get back into the car and drive away.

Too much competition, here.

So true.

I find a lot of people "can't be bothered" with dollar bins. More for me!

So true.

I find a lot of people "can't be bothered" with dollar bins. More for me!

I live in the Phoenix area, but the closest LCS is about 30-40 minutes away. It was only 10 years ago that I had 3 LCSs within 10 minutes. Now I do my new and back issue shopping online. I suspect this is true for a lot of collectors.

I get the income part...frigging $3.60 gasoline...grumble grumble, but if the supply is so plentiful ought there be an impact on prices attained?

As for younger population, canada is a little older per capita than the u.s. about 40 vs. 38 or so. what i suspect is that the younger working age people in canada might be getting a better deal in terms of wages and benefiting from the economy than the typical 30 year old here who is paying off student loans and paying for the enjoyable retirements of baby boomers and 15% tax rates of hedge fund managers. (no offense to boomer members on the board.) it was so awesome buying my house in 2006 for 12X what the boomers I bought it from paid for it in 1977 and they got to clear $500K in cap gains tax free in the process as well!

Alberta is lower in age than the national average due to the employment market here. Basically, we are attracting a lot of younger working age people from other regions to the province.

WRT the supply vs. demand, while there are plenty of collections to be found there are more people looking for books here. The past three years we have had kids as young as 13 buy $100+ high demand/key SA and BA books. There has been a noticeable shift in the average age of people at shows buying books as well - it is probably 10 years younger than what it was in 2007/08.

That's true, but let's not kid ourselves. Canadians have very high levels of personal debt, and the statistics that measure personal debt excluding mortgages are my favorite. How many people have consolidated their staggering debt levels into the increased equity of home prices, because in Canada, there has not been a decline in home prices!

You will never find that sort of material her in SoCal. And if you do, you're paying for it.

The few times I've gone to look at collections have been massive wastes of time. People with no clue how much their stuff is worth, and think it's worth a fortune. I have tried to explain, but to no avail. These people get offended, and think you're trying to cheat them, when you won't pay $1/book for their 90's post-Unity Valiants, so the only thing to do is get back into the car and drive away.

Too much competition, here.

What about the battle of attrition? I've made deals with people that had started out sky-high on their collections, but re-posted online their collections with lowered prices over a period of several weeks. Eventually the light-bulb goes off that no one else is there to buy the stuff they really want out of the house.

Crazy that X-Force 2 is going up in price, maybe people are settling for the 2nd Deadpool appearance since NM 98 is getting pricey.

I wonder if X-Force #11 is going to take off too. That has a plus of also having the first Domino. I haven't been able to find that one locally at all. Methinks speculators are buying them up.

Crazy that X-Force 2 is going up in price, maybe people are settling for the 2nd Deadpool appearance since NM 98 is getting pricey.

I wonder if X-Force #11 is going to take off too. That has a plus of also having the first Domino. I haven't been able to find that one locally at all. Methinks speculators are buying them up.

Oddly, Rob Liefeld tweeted that Domino's first appearance was New Mutants #98. Wikipedia says #11.

Does Rob know that copycat was playing Domino in NM 98? Was that -script rewritten? hm

Oddly, Rob Liefeld tweeted that Domino's first appearance was New Mutants #98. Wikipedia says #11.

Does Rob know that copycat was playing Domino in NM 98? Was that -script rewritten? hm

How does someone who has never been seen before get impersonated first? hm

This is almost getting scary! Who would have thought a million print run book would rebound 20+ years later.

Look at X-Force 1 with deapool cards, a 5 million print run book, just insanity.

Time to pull my copies of 2 and 11 and burn the rest of the run :banana:

This is almost getting scary! Who would have thought a million print run book would rebound 20+ years later.

Look at X-Force 1 with deapool cards, a 5 million print run book, just insanity.

Time to pull my copies of 2 and 11 and burn the rest of the run :banana:

Why would you burn them? X-Force showcased the best in belt pouch fashion. :insane:

But yeah, I look at my X-Forces and think what the hell was I thinking. Thankfully I didn't buy a long box of X-Force #1.

Edited by FutureFlash

How does someone who has never been seen before get impersonated first? hm

Good point! hm