• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

How many newsstand copies were printed? If it's hot enough to get an immediate second printing, it's hot enough for newsstands to have very high sell-through.

Now THAT is a very good point.

It is very likely more newsstand copies of 361 (and 362, 363) got swept off the racks than surrounding issues of ASM. Thus, the actual supply may be skewed away from print run data somewhat.

Yes, whenever a book was an instant sellout at the direct market level, the newsstands were haunted until the newsstand copies showed up and were gobbled. Happened with Spidey #361, Superman #50, Robin #1, Emerald Dawn #1 (yes, that was a big hit!), Batman #457, Ghost Rider #15, etc. Even Thor #337 and Spidey #252.

So it's likely that there are more surviving copies of the newsstand as a ratio of the print run than, say, #357 or #364, even if the absolute numbers were lower. Although, even with (direct market) sellouts, there were always returns for newsstand copies that represented a significant portion of the newsstand print run, too (except for Superman #75 and, possibly, Batman #457.)

I wish Emerald Dawn got more love. That was one of the greatest GL stories ever printed.

How many newsstand copies were printed? If it's hot enough to get an immediate second printing, it's hot enough for newsstands to have very high sell-through.

The total print run would have been around 400,000-450,000, with newsstand copies making up roughly 150,000 or so of the copies printed, with maybe 75-100k returned? (Returns for newsstand copies were typically around 70% at this point, but a figure of 50% for a hot book wouldn't be unreasonable.) That would give a net distribution of about 300,000-375,000 copies.

That's why the majority of the copies for sale at any given time on eBay are for direct copies for almost all books from the era (though, with the current "newsstand is hot!" marketing, and the higher survival rate in general for hot newsstands, the newsstand to direct ratio is certainly more balanced in this case.)

These are very rough numbers, just educated guesses, really; the only things we know for sure are Cap City's numbers and the SOO numbers, which gives us an average limit.

Here's a good visual of the numbers from JJM at Comichron.

http://www.comichron.com/titlespotlights/amazingspiderman.html

Yes, whenever a book was an instant sellout at the direct market level, the newsstands were haunted until the newsstand copies showed up and were gobbled. Happened with Spidey #361, Superman #50, Robin #1, Emerald Dawn #1 (yes, that was a big hit!), Batman #457, Ghost Rider #15, etc. Even Thor #337 and Spidey #252.

I remember doing that with Thor 337 and Spidey 252. There was a neighborhood grocery store nearby and I picked up several copies. I've sent in the best and they all came back as 9.8s (3 thors and 2 Spideys). Scans in spoiler. I have a few others that are borderline 9.8. I remember when I bought them, I didn't hand them to the checker or put them on the belt - I was anal even back then lol

I was able to pick up some Directs also and have them in 9.8 as well. That was a fun time for me. I dropped out of collecting a few years later and stayed on 20+ year hiatus.

2101131318381.jpg

2101131319411.jpg

1510131844461.jpg

2501131533361.jpg

2501131530271.jpg

I just want to see if which one wears down first this time.

I guess that would be me, but I just feel like I'm caught in this spiral of adversarial posting back and forth where everything is becoming more about one-upmanship than anything else. If I'm overreacting, I apologize. I'm not upset or annoyed in the least. It was simply starting to feel repetitive, and mostly due to my part in the discussion.

In general, the prices from 35 years ago, and newsstand vs. direct discussion, are fascinating as always. Just like I said last night, RMA always makes the thread a much better read.

As far as Copper newsstand is concerned, I remember visiting the local B. Dalton and Waldenbooks stores to grab books like Action Comics #662 and Silver Surfer #50 when they were unavailable for anything less than multiples of cover price everywhere else.

It's kind of a bummer that you can't catch up on any Marvels you miss at the newsstand these days.

Edited by Petey's Wheatcake

#361 did NOT have a "huge print run", and the published numbers very clearly prove that to be true.

Thank you for using facts to dispel what is a commonly stated idea. (thumbs u

I've been saying this forever, but apparently no one was paying attention, even with an immediate second printing starting them in the face. If it had a "huge print run", a second printing wouldn't have been necessary.

I'd sure like to know where this "ASM #361 had a huge print run" myth really came from.

hm

Yes, let's use facts to see who keeps using the words "huge print run" in reference to Amazing Spider-Man #361. This is what I wrote:

However, at no point did I use the words "huge print run". Not once.

What's weird though, is how you wrote "huge print run" three times, and "large print run" once. Huh.

Either way, the facts seem to indicate that your statement should now be changed to "I'd sure like to know where this 'ASM #361 had plenty of copies' myth really came from."

Short answer: that comment wasn't directed at you. So no need to get bent out of shape about it. Not everything is about Petey's Wheatcakes.

Long answer: That was a general comment (made clear by the context of both mine and 500club's comments), not directed at you specifically. No need to be offended, nor is there a need to parse casual comments that use vague adjectives like "large" and "huge", neither of which have any specific meaning.

You are not the first, and you won't be the last, to make the claim that ASM #361 had a (insert whatever adjective best describes your position about the actual size of the print run here) print run.

By the way, did you ever dig up hard, factual numbers on which issue actually had the higher print run?

Yes, and they were posted here. You didn't read what I wrote, did you...? Come on, now, you can admit it, don't be shy. Most don't. It's nothing to be ashamed about.

;)

(I'm just tweaking you, don't be offended.)

Honestly, we could go back and forth dissecting the minutiae of every statement we both make, and we could both keep cheating by misquoting or selectively quoting each other's posts again and again, but I'd rather not.

meh

You should probably just speak for yourself, and not include me in your (polite) accusations of intellectual dishonesty and pedantry. I'm not terribly offended...you're not the first, and won't be the last...but you have neither been misquoted nor selectively quoted so as to misrepresent your position...one more time, the statement was not directed at you specifically...

Nor has the "minutiae" been "dissected." If I "dissect" a point, it is because I think it is germane to the discussion. How else does one establish the facts of any matter? Vague generalities? That's what causes the problems and disagreements in the first place.

I won't go into detail about why people make that particular accusation, but it's usually because the data shows they are in error. Facts, shmacts! Who needs 'em? Vague generalities are the way to go! :whee:

No one cares about the difference between "huge print run" vs. "large print run" vs. "plenty of copies" except you. Which, I agree, is irrelevant minutiae.

If you choose to be offended...whether it's legitimate or not...you will be.

I'm not trying to win.

Good! No one is. This is a discussion, not a courtroom, regardless of how you may think I come across.

Let's discuss "Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay" instead.

"You can see from my previous posts that even if both issues sold 500,000 copies it would not alter my assertion that the demand will be greater than the supply" is a direct quote of mine. The exact print run of ASM #361 was always a tangential discussion as far as I was concerned; my main assertion is that Kevin76 and CopperAgeKids made some good points, and that popularity is usually more important than scarcity in terms of comic book investing. That's basically all I'm trying to get across at this point. Some very knowledgeable comic book enthusiasts disagree with that last statement, and I love a good discussion, but it feels like we've drifted way off course in this instance.

On the contrary. There have been some excellent details brought forth in this conversation that have informed quite a few readers, if nothing else. And people now have a data-set to work with, so they aren't operating under false impressions about just what exists, and in what quantities.

That's very valuable, especially in a "what's heating up?" thread. The more details one has, the better informed their decision making is.

And, to my way of thinking, that's ALWAYS a good thing.

#361 did NOT have a "huge print run", and the published numbers very clearly prove that to be true.

I've been saying this forever, but apparently no one was paying attention, even with an immediate second printing starting them in the face. If it had a "huge print run", a second printing wouldn't have been necessary.

I'd sure like to know where this "ASM #361 had a huge print run" myth really came from.

hm

Yes, let's use facts to see who keeps using the words "huge print run" in reference to Amazing Spider-Man #361. This is what I wrote:

What's weird though, is how you wrote "huge print run" three times, and "large print run" once. Huh.

Either way, the facts seem to indicate that your statement should now be changed to "I'd sure like to know where this 'ASM #361 had plenty of copies' myth really came from."

Short answer: that comment wasn't directed at you. So no need to get bent out of shape about it. Not everything is about Petey's Wheatcakes.

Long answer: That was a general comment (made clear by the context of both mine and 500club's comments), not directed at you specifically. No need to be offended, nor is there a need to parse casual comments that use vague adjectives like "large" and "huge", neither of which have any specific meaning.

You are not the first, and you won't be the last, to make the claim that ASM #361 had a (insert whatever adjective best describes your position about the actual size of the print run here) print run.

By the way, did you ever dig up hard, factual numbers on which issue actually had the higher print run?

Yes, and they were posted here. You didn't read what I wrote, did you...? Come on, now, you can admit it, don't be shy. Most don't. It's nothing to be ashamed about.

;)

Honestly, we could go back and forth dissecting the minutiae of every statement we both make, and we could both keep cheating by misquoting or selectively quoting each other's posts again and again, but I'd rather not.

meh

You should probably just speak for yourself, and not include me in your (polite) accusations of intellectual dishonesty and pedantry. I'm not terribly offended...you're not the first, and won't be the last...but you have neither been misquoted nor selectively quoted so as to misrepresent your position...one more time, the statement was not directed at you specifically...

Nor has the "minutiae" been "dissected." If I "dissect" a point, it is because I think it is germane to the discussion. How else does one establish the facts of any matter? Vague generalities? That's what causes the problems and disagreements in the first place.

I won't go into detail about why people make that particular accusation, but it's usually because the data shows they are in error. Facts, shmacts! Who needs 'em? Vague generalities are the way to go! :whee:

No one cares about the difference between "huge print run" vs. "large print run" vs. "plenty of copies" except you. Which, I agree, is irrelevant minutiae.

I'm not trying to win.

Good! No one is. This is a discussion, not a courtroom, regardless of how you may think I come across.

"You can see from my previous posts that even if both issues sold 500,000 copies it would not alter my assertion that the demand will be greater than the supply" is a direct quote of mine. The exact print run of ASM #361 was always a tangential discussion as far as I was concerned; my main assertion is that Kevin76 and CopperAgeKids made some good points, and that popularity is usually more important than scarcity in terms of comic book investing. That's basically all I'm trying to get across at this point. Some very knowledgeable comic book enthusiasts disagree with that last statement, and I love a good discussion, but it feels like we've drifted way off course in this instance.

On the contrary. There have been some excellent details brought forth in this conversation that have informed quite a few readers, if nothing else. And people now have a data-set to work with, so they aren't operating under false impressions about just what exists, and in what quantities.

That's very valuable, especially in a "what's heating up?" thread. The more details one has, the better informed their decision making is.

Thank you very much for the post. The only glaringly obvious inaccuracy I see is the part where you imply that not everything is about me. You simply don't know me well enough yet. :wink:

I just want to see if which one wears down first this time.

I guess that would be me, but I just feel like I'm caught in this spiral of adversarial posting back and forth where everything is becoming more about one-upmanship than anything else. If I'm overreacting, I apologize. I'm not upset or annoyed in the least. It was simply starting to feel repetitive, and mostly due to my part in the discussion.

Fastballspecial has an issue with the way I post in general, so I wouldn't take his comment too seriously. He doesn't like "long" posts or anyone he determines is demeaning or overbearing. :hi:

If you feel there is adversarial posting, or one-upsmanship, two things: first, that's not coming from me. I am not out to "win" anything, nor am I out to make others "lose." I like a vigorous discussion, that really gets into the meat of a topic. That is, after all, how everyone, including myself, learns. I'm not out to shame or defeat anyone (in these discussions), despite what it may seem, or what others may say, but I AM here to challenge that with which I don't agree. It is when we are challenged that we develop the most effectively.

Does a weight lifter build muscle without resistance? Does a swimmer get faster without the water pushing back? Does a chess player become a master by only playing children?

Second, if you feel that that's happening, regardless of what I say to the contrary, the best thing to do is to not discuss it anymore. Problem solved, no?

Doctor Strange : Into Shambala is selling pretty damn briskly.

An average of two sales per week (on eBay) over the past two months? You might want to get a new dictionary.

Oh, and people are dumb. :facepalm: At least the people who've been sitting on unmovable MGN for the last three decades are happy.

You are overlooking the fact there have not been many copies listed on ebay AT ALL in the past 2 months and the copies that have been listed, have ALL sold quickly , at fairly impressive prices.

Case in point being the mid grade copy that sold at $100 via Buy it now (the auction I linked to in my last post and for further evidence, see the post made by the board member LazyBoy below......he sold a copy at $69.99...WITHIN THREE HOURS of listing it.

That seems like a viable definition of the term "selling briskly" to me ;)

Also of note is that there are only 2 copies on eBay now.One copy is a MID GRADE book, looks to be around a FN, at best a FN+....the seller is asking over $200.Now that is too high for a mid grade copy, so I'm not surprised it has not sold yet.

I just checked and a raw copy , which the seller descibed as VF/NM 9.0 was listed today at $79.99.Judging by the multiple high resolution scans , it actually does look like a solid VF/NM.

I doubt that copy will go unsold at that price....

I put one on ebay that I had purchased for $10 and it sold within three hours on a Buy it now at $69.99. - there havn't been a lot of copies made available for sale on ebay.

An average of two sales per week (on eBay) over the past two months? You might want to get a new dictionary.

Oh, and people are dumb. :facepalm: At least the people who've been sitting on unmovable MGN for the last three decades are happy.

2501131533361.jpg

How is that a 9.8?

Peace,

Chip

That is quite a battered spine corner for a 9.8, but not out of the realm of possibility for other 9.8s I've seen. They must have gone with "bindery defect" and overlooked it for grade (like the corners on so many #300s) or maybe it would have been a 9.9 without the corner.

Edited by mysterio

hm

;)

meh

I'm not trying to win.

Classic. meh

How is that a 9.8?

Peace,

Chip

That is quite a battered spine corner for a 9.8, but not out of the realm of possibility for other 9.8s I've seen. They must have gone with "bindery defect" and overlooked it for grade (like the corners on so many #300s) or maybe it would have been a 9.9 without the corner.

Yeah that's what I thought as well.

My apologies for my poor usage of the qoute function in the post below, but if you overlook my asinine usage of qoutes.....

My point that Doctor Strange : Into Shambala is selling briskly is quite a valid assessment of the current demand for the book.

I thought the dispute was over the word 'briskly'?

There haven't been more than 4 copies of Into Shamballa available for sale on eBay at any one time over the past 2 years until a couple of months ago when mentions of the book made the rounds on the internet.