• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

How is Rob Liefeld's New Mutants run (outside of the already-hot #87 and #98) doing on eBay? The local dollar boxes used to be stuffed with multiple copies of most of these issues, but now there are only multiple copies of X-Tinction Agenda crossover issues left.

I think #86 and #100 (all three printings) still sell pretty well.

I'm still trying to complete the run in 9.8. I only have a few to go.

How is Rob Liefeld's New Mutants run (outside of the already-hot #87 and #98) doing on eBay? The local dollar boxes used to be stuffed with multiple copies of most of these issues, but now there are only multiple copies of X-Tinction Agenda crossover issues left.

A NM copy of #100 sold for $15 in the Modern Sales forum recently.

That surprised me. I see them still selling for like $2-5 all the time.

Edited by Flatliner1313

I've only have recieved 2 books that have come back 9.9, Back in 2000 a Harley Quinn 1 and an Origin 1, sold that for 350 at the time. Let's ask Beachbum how he gets so many 9.9/10 copies.
He works his BUTT off and subs a ton of books so odds are that he would pull more 9.9 / 10.0 books Plus Onsite grading is the key !

I think the issue for any grader is not how many 9.9's that a person gets, but how many 9.9's a person gets that THEY identified AHEAD OF TIME WILL BE a 9.9. If you submit enough comics over time, the odds aren't awful that you pull a 9.9 or 10.0

Take some like beachbum for example. I don't have exact figures, but lets say over the years he's submitted 10,000+ comics, so he's got a pretty good handle on getting 9.8's. Lets say right now, he submits 500 per month. I'm sure he does very well (but he's not perfect) probably getting less than 10 9.6's, with every thing else being 9.8 or higher. But he also (especially with the zenescope) probably pulls 5-15 9.9+ per submission on average.

The REAL question is how many of those 9.9+ comics does he IDENTIFY BEFOREHAND as 9.9+ candidates? And how many of those that he identified ahead of time actually hit 9.9? That's what we're talking about here, not how many identified 9.8's end up being 9.9+ comics.

:hi:

Feel free to throw in some reAl numbers, you're probably one of the few people with enough experience and volume and reputation to speak on identifying 9.9's and tens as Raws.

Yes....what do I care.But really, I am in no rush to submit these books so it's whatever.

Also, I posted that I was going by memory alone and hadn;t seen the books in a month or so but yeah, I think 1 or 2 of those copies I have may in fact press out and then grade as a 9.9.I'll have to look at them to be sure if2 of them were that sweet but I am fairly sure 1 of them would fetch a CGC 9.9.

This has all gotten weird pretty fast though , and the point of my original thoughts on this subject has been entirely overlooked in favor of the "betting lines" I regrettably opened.

To reinterate, my point was that seasoned collectors, whom I would have to think are regular posters on this board, who have been grading books for decades, can very well assign a 9.9 grade to a modern age book.

Of course,a 9.9 grade is quite rare, which is not a fact I am disputing. At all.

My contention is that a collector worth his/her salt should be able to grade a book and if a book rates a 9.9, call it what it is.

FTR, I would never be so foolish as to try to sell a raw book as a 9.9, that is why I think this all got thrown out of whack with this Divad character being referenced.I want no part of that conversation, at all.

Hey Guys, agree to disagree and take

your arguments to private messaging.

By airing your dislike for each other you

aren't winning a daytime Emmy for best soap opera.

It's clogging up a perfectly good speculator thread.

You have a lot to learn about message board drama (tsk)

I just want to read something interesting about comics.

Let people form their own opinion about someone "snake-oiling" sales, pressing books and selling them undisclosed or

deciding who they like the most

between a two dudes tied amongst a bitter nerd-fight.

I like a good nerd fight.

Nerds-fighting-gif.gif

A NM copy of #100 sold for $15 in the Modern Sales forum recently.

That surprised me. I see them still selling for like $2-5 all the time.

I have 100 copies of NM 100 all in NM. I will sell them all for 3 bucks a piece but only to one person and the shipping will be 39.95 for the buyer but I will actually ship media mail to line my pockets a little bit more. PM me if interested! ;)

Yes....what do I care.But really, I am in no rush to submit these books so it's whatever.

Also, I posted that I was going by memory alone and hadn;t seen the books in a month or so but yeah, I think 1 or 2 of those copies I have may in fact press out and then grade as a 9.9.I'll have to look at them to be sure if2 of them were that sweet but I am fairly sure 1 of them would fetch a CGC 9.9.

This has all gotten weird pretty fast though , and the point of my original thoughts on this subject has been entirely overlooked in favor of the "betting lines" I regrettably opened.

To reinterate, my point was that seasoned collectors, whom I would have to think are regular posters on this board, who have been grading books for decades, can very well assign a 9.9 grade to a modern age book.

Of course,a 9.9 grade is quite rare, which is not a fact I am disputing. At all.

My contention is that a collector worth his/her salt should be able to grade a book and if a book rates a 9.9, call it what it is.

FTR, I would never be so foolish as to try to sell a raw book as a 9.9, that is why I think this all got thrown out of whack with this Divad character being referenced.I want no part of that conversation, at all.

Calling something a raw 9.9 has no basis in reality. You can say that you believe it is a 9.9 based upon whatever grading scale you are using. But equating that to CGC giving it a 9.9 is nothing but speculation, with one exception - when you are getting books that have had very little handling directly from a fresh case.

I have submitted 5 9.9s and a 10 in 10 years of subbing books. The only ones that I legitimately thought, "wow, these are amazing and may be better than 9.8" were the Cursed Pirate Girls I got directly out of the distributor box from Jeremy Bastian.

On the other hand I have subbed dozens and dozens of 9.8s that I was positive had a legit shot at Mint or Gem Mint. And one that got a 9.6, but that one got sketched on. lol

Edited by seanfingh

Thanos88 subbed a set of Kingdom Come issues, and got 9.9 on all 4 of them.

That seems Miraculous.

That is amazing. The 10 I got was in my first modern sub - a squarebound - Batman: The Cult #1. Copper/Modern squarebounds are, IMO, the best way to sub a mint.

I have a few books out of my entire collection that I can safely say "I believe" them to be 9.9.

My submissions have never garnered more than a CGC 9.8. Of course I've never sent in my mythical 9.9+ books.

I've submitted a 9.9 and received a 9.9. :whistle:

Any Vengeance of Bane #1's?

Would have been. :grin:

I have a proposal for you. Money can go to charity or in your pocket, I don't care. I believe that you don't truly believe that any raw book you list for sale as a 9.9, is actually a 9.9. To prove my point, I propose the following:

You compile a group of 5 raw books that you believe are 9.9s. Post scans here. Sub them. I will pay you $100 for every book that hits 9.9 and you can keep the books. If more than 2 of the 5 don't hit a 9.9, you will owe me $150.

I.e., time to put your overgrading Ebay money where your overgrading Ebay mouth is. I think I offered a similar challenge on Ebay raw 9.8s of yours and you blew it off. You've got nothing to lose.

Can anyone get in on this action? I don't think Divad can do it either. lol

Edited by oakman29

Calling something a raw 9.9 has no basis in reality. You can say that you believe it is a 9.9 based upon whatever grading scale you are using. But equating that to CGC giving it a 9.9 is nothing but speculation, with one exception - when you are getting books that have had very little handling directly from a fresh case.

I have submitted 5 9.9s and a 10 in 10 years of subbing books. The only ones that I legitimately thought, "wow, these are amazing and may be better than 9.8" were the Cursed Pirate Girls I got directly out of the distributor box from Jeremy Bastian.

On the other hand I have subbed dozens and dozens of 9.8s that I was positive had a legit shot at Mint or Gem Mint. And one that got a 9.6, but that one got sketched on. lol

Was that 4 C2E2s ago? - I remember how giddy you were on the show floor. Dork.

:luhv:

I would say I am a seasoned grader and I have called a few 9.9's and a single 10.0, but that is out of how many books over the last 9 years? Granted I deal with very few moderns like the Zenoscope books (they rarely come across my desk as they don't need to) so I would have to agree with Sean that "Calling something a raw 9.9 has no basis in reality".

:applause:

-slym

I think Divad's problem is with CGC in general, not the asking price for a specific book being sold by Transplant. More specifically he takes issue, as many do, with the price discrepancy that occurs between graded and ungraded copies of a book.

Ironic then, don't you think, that he's providing the perfect example of why there *should* be a gap in prices (i.e. you can't necessarily trust someone's raw grade, especially if that person is divad)