• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

What's next? DC Direct Currents? Dark Horse Insider? Printed out sheets from the internet ads?

:popcorn:

DC Direct Currents, hahaha, no way...wait, what were we talking about?

DC Direct Currents

What it's actually sold for is a little more relevant:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rmvSB=true&_from=R40%7CR40&_nkw=dc+direct+currents+preacher&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=100&LH_Complete=1

For those that don't know... here's how the trick works.

1) Take a lame item, like this DC Direct Current featuring a recently re-rising character/book like Preacher. Try and find 10-20 of them in some old comic stores trash can that hasn't been emptied in 20 years.

2) Get together with a friend and sell one to each other on eBay for a noticeable price hike like... $14.99.

3) Relist them, under your OTHER eBay name (all of these new guys have multiple eBay accounts) or through a friend. Make sure to mark them up X5.

4) Join the CGC forum where a dozen other silly people are looking for some reason to justify actually having comic books around and start talking about how it's a 'rare' appearance or a 'first' appearance, or there's hardly any copies, or what's wrong with collecting 'stuff', blah blah blah

5) Come to each other's defense on the forum when old timers see through the scam, so it sounds like it's 'uncertain' if there's anything sketchy about it.

6) Repeat.

Instant short term market.

You forgot about getting bleedingcool to write about it.

That is also an integral part of the formula.

Sure. They're as desperate for a story as yahoo.

What's next? DC Direct Currents? Dark Horse Insider? Printed out sheets from the internet ads?

DC Direct Currents

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rmvSB=true&_from=R40%7CR40&_nkw=dc+direct+currents+preacher&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=100&LH_Complete=1

I agree 100%, but I will say that the usual trend is that there are some listed very cheap by a seller that has thousands of books listed. Those obviously go initially, then the big dogs are left. Agreed, asking is not selling price.

Re: DC Currents 85, the 2 copies that were sold (you linked to) were both low/midgrade.

One was graded by the seller as a VG+ for $14.99 (plus shipping) and the second copy was graded by the seller as a GD for $14.99 w/free shipping

I won and paid for the copy at 14.99 (free shipping).

The copy I paid for was described , and I qoute, as:

“This comic is in (G) Good condition”

The picture looked waaaay better and I figured with a press and a dry clean, it would be VF to NM.I was somewhat mistaken.Dry cleaning and pressing bumped up the grade considerably, but it has several spots of discoloration due to aging/improper storage.....which I think would be a common defect for this book.One would have to think most copies of this book will be around VG as I can't imagine there was a lot of collectors rushing home tand putting their freebie issue of Direct Currents into Mylar 2 bags and Gerber full backs, in the 90's.

Last year I lucked out (for once) and found a copy that has white pages on the cheap and after I dry clean and press it, it may be in the 9.6 to 9.8 candidate area.It is in a box of books which I need to press and dry clean, before either putting them up for sale raw at shows and/or subbing them for grading.

Do I think a slabbed 9.8 copy of Direct Currents 85 should rival the value of a slabbed 9.8 copy of Preacher 1?

No......Not by a long shot.

I also think that a slabbed 9.8 copy of the Preacher # 1 Preview (6 page black and white preview) selling for $900 a couple months back via BIN (at that time, 9.8 Preacher 1 slabs were selling for around $200-$300 less than $900) is relatively outlandish.

Neither the Preacher 6 page preview,Sandman 67,DC 85,Sandman Gallery of Dreams & Nightmares should be selling at anywhere near Preacher 1.

The Preacher 6 page preview is not considered by CGC/CBCS as a first full appearance as it is clearly NOT.I do think it is the most signifigant/valuable of the preview books as it has a Preacher 1 cover and 6 story pages from # 1.And like the other preview books, was likely not as well cared for as Preacher 1 was.

Preacher 1 was a $50 -$100 book at shows and at cons,within a year of it being put out by DC.Right there, you know a lot of collectors took care of their Preacher 1's.All of the preview books were not worth anything, as far as I can remember, and likely treated as such.Alright then, there is that to consider, as far as weighing the true value of these preview books.Lower print runs as well, but these 2 factors can only go so far when making an evaluation.

The following needs to be strongly considered

As *PREVIEWS*, they can be viewed for what they *ARE* and as such, they have *SOME* collectible value.In my eyes, they have a modicum of the value of the FIRST APPEARANCE of said character in FULL LENGTH COMIC BOOK FORM i.e. Preacher # 1.

For these books to be touted as "first appearance" is just outright market manipulation by sellers who could care less about the hobby and are out for a quick buck, with no concern for developing long term relationships with their customers.

The whole practice reeks of moral bankruptcy.

It is also a clear lack of decent business ethics, as well.You are not going to build strong, long lasting relationships with your customer if you are duping him out of his money.

I have been in this hobby for the better part of 30 years, and have been a dealer(as well as a collector) for the last 20 years.As such, I recognize what is good for the long term health/growth of the hobby, as well as the market.None of his preview mess is doing anyone a good turn.

That said, I have no love for short sighted sellers, who are motivated only by greed and capitalize at every chance they have on duping collectors.

That is all I am going to say on the matter.

DC Direct Currents

Yes, I would agree that there is some collector value to some of these things, which I did state early on, though I still find it a little peculiar that you would clean and press a DC Direct Currents lol Not that you're WRONG, hey, as collector's we ALL do some things that other collectors might find bizarre, and in truth, I guess I actually DO understand it.

And you are correct about the original release of Preacher... it was very quickly a book that people paid a premium for... I don't remember exactly what it was valued at, but, the was no interest at all for the DC Direct Currents it had been Previewed in or the PREVIEWS it was originally solicited in.

As morally bankrupt as the hobby had gotten by that time, it still hadn't gotten to the point where it would sell a PREVIEWS for 5X more than the first comic book appearance was worth.

A one page B&W preview amounts to a 1st app to this guy? :facepalm:

wouldn't there have been something like previews back then? what would comic shop owners be basing their ordering on 2 or 3 months before this -- just the title of the book and mcfarlane being on it (probably enough back then)? presumably spawn appeared in some sort of solicitation in print form before then.

calling these things a cameo or whatever is nuts. if you want to collect first advertising apps, that's fine, but call it what it is. and i love the other listing "significantly devalues malibu sun 13"

This Spawn Cover came out 1 month before Rust 1

Here's my Spawn list:

Previews issue: first appearance and cover ( March 1992 )

Rust 1a,1b: Second appearance depending on what other Adventure comics are discovered ( April 1992 )

Malibu Sun 13: Third appearance, Second Cover, first appearance in a comic book publication ( May 1992 )

Spawn 1: Third cover, first appearance in a narrative.

Then there's Crusade Comics Spawn 1 which has a released date of 1992 for a convention that happened in August? I am not sure what the actual publication date is but it could predate all of the above. Either way it is definitely the first appearance of Sam & Twitch.

Not sure if you saw my comment earlier, but according to Diamond, those Previews during the 90's had a regular print run of 90,000 copies.

and? how many of them are still around even? Most shops let customers use them and then thrown them out as they are beat.

I feel sorry for the people that don't know any better that you guys hope to swindle.

For a guy with 16 thousand plus posts this is a pretty weak statement. I am a collector sir. I am not swindling anyone nor do I hope to swindle anyone. Thanks for proving once again that more than a few ancient boardies like yourself only serve to hold the hobby back.

i am still looking for a valid explanation as to why things like direct currents, comic shop news, dark horse extra and insider and on and on are not valid comic related collectibles. some have great art, are hard to find, included stickers, posters, buttons and a host of other awesome materials. What is the argument against collecting awesome rare stuff?

please someone give me a good argument against and don't give me that meaningful story cause some of my favorite comic collectibles are:

comic journal ( one has a pretty sweet carrie kelly cover in white thats impossible to find in nm) amazing heroes ( anyone dig black and white star wars? i do. ) howabout hero magazine which included a now hard to find x-files comic or overstreet fan where one issue included a reprint of overstreets first price guide that is super rare?

listen. i have two full runs of grant morrison's run on doom patrol, one to read and one in the vault. i collect for art AND for story. if dc currents has the preacher cover previewed and i dig preacher then i have to have it. Again i ask what is the issue with this?

Edited by MrWeen

wouldn't there have been something like previews back then? what would comic shop owners be basing their ordering on 2 or 3 months before this -- just the title of the book and mcfarlane being on it (probably enough back then)? presumably spawn appeared in some sort of solicitation in print form before then.

calling these things a cameo or whatever is nuts. if you want to collect first advertising apps, that's fine, but call it what it is. and i love the other listing "significantly devalues malibu sun 13"

Here's my Spawn list:

Rust 1a,1b: Second appearance depending on what other Adventure comics are discovered ( April 1992 )

Malibu Sun 13: Third appearance, Second Cover, first appearance in a comic book publication ( May 1992 )

Then there's Crusade Comics Spawn 1 which has a released date of 1992 for a convention that happened in August? I am not sure what the actual publication date is but it could predate all of the above. Either way it is definitely the first appearance of Sam & Twitch.

Not sure if you saw my comment earlier, but according to Diamond, those Previews during the 90's had a regular print run of 90,000 copies.

and? how many of them are still around even? Most shops let customers use them and then thrown them out as they are beat.

I feel sorry for the people that don't know any better that you guys hope to swindle.

For a guy with 16 thousand plus posts this is a pretty weak statement. I am a collector sir. I am not swindling anyone nor do I hope to swindle anyone. Thanks for proving once again that more than a few ancient boardies like yourself only serve to hold the hobby back.

lol Holding the hobby back? How am I holding the hobby back? By preaching restraint to people who have the shopping compulsion of a crack addict? It's not like I'm locking arms with people and blocking doors of comic shops. Might want to dial down the hyperbole.

i am still looking for a valid explanation as to why things like direct currents, comic shop news, dark horse extra and insider and on and on are not valid comic related collectibles.

Nobody said they weren't collectable. Some have an issue with the adjective 'valid'. And some just think it's silly.

some have great art, are hard to find, included stickers, posters, buttons and a host of other awesome materials. What is the argument against collecting awesome rare stuff?

No one's making one. That's not the argument.

please someone give me a good argument against and don't give me that meaningful story cause some of my favorite comic collectibles are:

comic journal ( one has a pretty sweet carrie kelly cover in white thats impossible to find in nm) amazing heroes ( anyone dig black and white star wars? i do. ) howabout hero magazine which included a now hard to find x-files comic or overstreet fan where one issue included a reprint of overstreets first price guide that is super rare?

An argument against? Let's see.... it's time consuming... takes away from truly meaningful moments in life, like sharing a soda with someone you love or watching a sunset...

listen. i have two full runs of grant morrison's run on doom patrol, one to read and one in the vault. i collect for art AND for story. if dc currents has the preacher cover previewed and i dig preacher then i have to have it. Again i ask what is the issue with this?

The issue is this... and as someone who is a collector of this material it should interest you... there are people who would over value this material through manipulation and deceit, so that you pay more for it than you should. Then someday, when you choose to have a life that includes a wife or a husband, and maybe kids, a house in suburbs, and you go to sell your Spawn Previews that you paid $50 for (which is 10+times what Spawn #1 is worth) and someone looks at you like you're insane and you get nothing for it and you curse the sky and swear off all comics forever and refuse to let your son even watch a movie as bad as ASM2, for fear he'll catch the bug and someday be swindled by the evil comic sellers of eBay.

People tried to just ignore all the bad signs of the 90's, and it almost ruined the hobby - we lost a LOT of people. I'd prefer not to go through that again.

Your welcome.

Using your "trick" list (1 through 6), I can honestly say all I care about is Item #1.

As far as deception is concerned, nowhere in my BIN listing ($14.99), does it say that DC Currents #85 is a first appearance of Preacher. Nor does it contain language to "woo" the buyer into purchasing the book. And finally, the price isn't 5x that of Preacher #1. Not trying to start an argument. Just clarifying what that listing really represents.

Oh...and CopperAgeKids -- you should have splurged on shipping and bought my copy instead! :baiting:

Meck

bar napkins with preliminary sketches and doodles are the next big thing.

has anyone even published a bar napkin? :screwy:

J. S. G. Boggs.

Here's my Spawn list:

i am still looking for a valid explanation as to why things like direct currents, comic shop news, dark horse extra and insider and on and on are not valid comic related collectibles. some have great art, are hard to find, included stickers, posters, buttons and a host of other awesome materials. What is the argument against collecting awesome rare stuff?

So if you're a collector, I'm assuming you don't sell.

If you don't sell, I think you're getting sensitive about the posts, after all, if you don't sell, you can't be swindling anyone, right? You wrote that you're not swindling anyone, nor do you want to swindle anyone.

If these things are heating up on ebay, congratulations, your collection is ahead of the curve and you'll clean up, on paper, since you're a collector, and don't sell.

However, you're not the only one reading these boards. Others that read the boards, like me, are less knowledgeable about certain topics. I think people are sharing their opinion b/c it differs from yours. It's not personal, everyone on here has opinions and when they are different from others, you hear about it.

All I infer from your post is that you like these things, you collect these things and you want to share your passion. I appreciate your contributions. I think everyone knows your stance.

But why do you post day after day trying to convince the masses? It comes across as hucksterism at it's finest, to me anyway.

Using your "trick" list (1 through 6), I can honestly say all I care about is Item #1.

And in general terms on it's own, there's nothing wrong with that. Sell what you can and get what you can as an honest seller.

As far as deception is concerned, nowhere in my BIN listing ($14.99), does it say that DC Currents #85 is a first appearance of Preacher. Nor does it contain language to "woo" the buyer into purchasing the book.

You didn't need to - people here on the forum have already done the work for you. Not saying they did it specifically for YOU - not making that accusation at all - just saying it DOES occur - where people on here start talking about what the next valuable thing might be just before copies of it go up on eBay and suddenly they've sold.

And strangely enough.... after the two lower grade copies that sold, someone has now listed 'NM' copies that are 4-5X higher in price, one of which is described as 'extremely scarce.'

Not saying that anyone selling a copy is involved - not saying that AT ALL. Just saying that a market for items that aren't as valuable as people think, is being created on this forum and being used to manipulate people. And that's never good for the hobby.

And finally, the price isn't 5x that of Preacher #1. Not trying to start an argument. Just clarifying what that listing really represents.

Yeah that's more directed at the Spawn silliness. Someone will pay $50 for a Malibu Sun or $30 for a Rust #1 and the Spawn #1 itself is barley worth $3-$5. And it all happened after people on this forum starting talking about how 'rare' it is and that it's the first actual appearance.

This Preacher Direct Currents is in the early stages.

And calling a copy of Previews the first appearance of Spawn is moving the hobby forward?

No one is saying they aren't collectible. No one is faulting anyone for wanting to collect these things. The issue is trying to convince people that a news blurb in Marvel Age # whatever is actually the true first app of a particular character.

And calling a copy of Previews the first appearance of Spawn is moving the hobby forward?

No one is saying they aren't collectible. No one is faulting anyone for wanting to collect these things. The issue is trying to convince people that a news blurb in Marvel Age # whatever is actually the true first app of a particular character.

+1

An argument against? Let's see.... it's time consuming... takes away from truly meaningful moments in life, like sharing a soda with someone you love or watching a sunset...

The issue is this... and as someone who is a collector of this material it should interest you... there are people who would over value this material through manipulation and deceit, so that you pay more for it than you should. Then someday, when you choose to have a life that includes a wife or a husband, and maybe kids, a house in suburbs, and you go to sell your Spawn Previews that you paid $50 for (which is 10+times what Spawn #1 is worth) and someone looks at you like you're insane and you get nothing for it and you curse the sky and swear off all comics forever and refuse to let your son even watch a movie as bad as ASM2, for fear he'll catch the bug and someday be swindled by the evil comic sellers of eBay.

People tried to just ignore all the bad signs of the 90's, and it almost ruined the hobby - we lost a LOT of people. I'd prefer not to go through that again.

Your welcome.

I didn't know that someone appointed you the market police. Also collecting ads, previews, insiders whatever cannot be compared to huge companies like Marvel, Valiant and DC tricking consumers into thinking that poorly scripted, over-printed, prismatic, holofoil covers would one day be valuable.

(major nesting fail)

I didn't know that someone appointed you the market police.

Who's policing anything? Just stating my opinion.

You're still free to sling your BS.

I'm still free to call you out on it.

Ain't nobody here in handcuffs.

Also collecting ads, previews, insiders whatever cannot be compared to huge companies like Marvel, Valiant and DC tricking consumers into thinking that poorly scripted, over-printed, prismatic, holofoil covers would one day be valuable.

a) Who's comparing it?

b) No one's saying 'collecting' it is wrong. Are you listening?

c) Marvel, Valiant, and DC take their hits daily for the nonsense they've tried to pass off as collectible.

d) a sinner pointing at the devil and saying 'See! He does it!" isn't making a good case for himself.

Collect it all you want. Have fun with it.

Just know that when you try as hard as you do to convince people it's more valuable than it really is, someone's going to call you out on it.

Here's my Spawn list:

So if you're a collector, I'm assuming you don't sell.

If you don't sell, I think you're getting sensitive about the posts, after all, if you don't sell, you can't be swindling anyone, right? You wrote that you're not swindling anyone, nor do you want to swindle anyone.

If these things are heating up on ebay, congratulations, your collection is ahead of the curve and you'll clean up, on paper, since you're a collector, and don't sell.

However, you're not the only one reading these boards. Others that read the boards, like me, are less knowledgeable about certain topics. I think people are sharing their opinion b/c it differs from yours. It's not personal, everyone on here has opinions and when they are different from others, you hear about it.

All I infer from your post is that you like these things, you collect these things and you want to share your passion. I appreciate your contributions. I think everyone knows your stance.

But why do you post day after day trying to convince the masses? It comes across as hucksterism at it's finest, to me anyway.

I usually only respond to peoples posts or arguments about these things. I am rarely initiating these arguments. I do not want to bog this thread down and I often say as much in my responses but when I see someone post something about comics that I disagree with I post about it. I see nothing wrong with that.

I f I were posting here then immediately listing dozens of copies of previews or other promotional items then you could accuse me of hucksterism but it's not me selling them on Ebay. If I post repeatedly it's not to sell but to help change the market place to be more accurate especially concerning first appearances. Just so you all know my wife agrees with most of you guys but she's :screwy: too!

Edited by MrWeen

DC Direct Currents

For those that don't know... here's how the trick works.

1) Take a lame item, like this DC Direct Current featuring a recently re-rising character/book like Preacher. Try and find 10-20 of them in some old comic stores trash can that hasn't been emptied in 20 years.

2) Get together with a friend and sell one to each other on eBay for a noticeable price hike like... $14.99.

3) Relist them, under your OTHER eBay name (all of these new guys have multiple eBay accounts) or through a friend. Make sure to mark them up X5.

4) Join the CGC forum where a dozen other silly people are looking for some reason to justify actually having comic books around and start talking about how it's a 'rare' appearance or a 'first' appearance, or there's hardly any copies, or what's wrong with collecting 'stuff', blah blah blah

5) Come to each other's defense on the forum when old timers see through the scam, so it sounds like it's 'uncertain' if there's anything sketchy about it.

6) Repeat.

Instant short term market.

:golfclap:

One of the better posts I have read in awhile. This last year or so our board is full of them sadly. There are so many now I just check to see when somebody had joined the board when they make a comments like that.