• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Better question is whether the pre-pack printing will pull a MoS 18 and start commanding more dollars than the first print.

What's a "pre-pack printing"? hm

it was a later printing of the book sold in a polybagged 3 pack from Walgreens. Pretty much non-existent on the census at the moment.

That book is on fire.

I was banking on that book years ago because of Killer Croc. That and Detective 523. Glad to see the market finally caught up. It's a great run of stories across Batman and Detective Comics.

:applause:

detective 523 in non-uber slab grades is still reasonable. just sold an affordable NM- copy here for $14. maybe i left money on the table. whatever. what goes around comes around.

Better question is whether the pre-pack printing will pull a MoS 18 and start commanding more dollars than the first print.

I thought it was already about 3x the price? The fourth print isn't far off either...

Personally . . . I'd rather have the real thing. And I have had multiple HG copies of this book. Very plentiful. ;)

Folks...a little perspective.

Cable was IMMENSELY popular when he first appeared on the scene. Within literally 6 months of his first appearance...and granted, New Mutants #87 didn't take the world by storm...he was the single hottest new character in comics.

By the time New Mutants #100 came out, #87 was a $65 book...that would be roughly equivalent to a new issue of Fantastic Four selling for $350 now.

Cable was huge, the clear leader of the new Marvel "triad" of Cable, Gambit, and Bishop.

Deadpool, a cultural icon...?

hm

Shouldn't one have to be fairly popular for a generation or more to be a "cultural icon"...?

Deadpool was nothing, and "nobody" cared about him until about 2008. Up to that point, he was just another failed 90's intro, and there are hundreds of them.

Clearly, Deadpool has become a POP icon, and is the most popular character currently in comics...which is saying something...and I'm not saying that DP didn't pass Cable in popularity a while ago. He did.

But...Cable did what Deadpool never did, and there's quite a bit of nostalgia for the character that simply isn't present for DP. Does that mean Cable could become as popular?

Maybe. The Fox/Marvel thing is a great problem.

But we'll see.

This fits and mirrors and my recollection.

I would want to add that while sure, both Ghost Rider and Punisher experienced renewed interest and titles, I would not underestimate how, even compared to healthy titles, dominant the X-brand was.

Cable was the biggest new thing at the X-verse and was weaved into the mythology from the start, and while we can count miniseries and solo series, Cable was major in big X events, and there were no consistently bigger events (you'd have outliers like Death of Superman, which was in many ways an act of desperation for DC which was not only getting killed by Marvel, but was seeing other publishers grab heat).

If one wasn't a fan personally or maybe not a fan of Marvel, or the X-Men block specifically, or the era, but this was arguably the biggest era of comics and for a awhile there Cable felt like the third most talked about character at Marvel, behind Spidey and Wolverine (people have to remember that the Avengers related books of the time and FF were just not anything near what the X-Office was.

Obviously he's not as popular as Deadpool now, and kids did know of Deadpool before the film via games, and ever con will reveal how popular he is relative to other characters, but Cable was huge in a pure comic book sense for awhile and if you are an X-men head always will be important just based on that initial impact and his familial ties. Hell, just recently he was at the forefront of X-events from Messiah Complex on.

I think it's arguable, and maybe RMA can comment, there was a like 4-6 year period where the X-Men brand constituted the biggest thing we've ever seen in comics. Even after the IMAGE exodus those books were crowding the top 20 sales. Generation X, Age of Apocalypse, Fatal Attractions, and freakin' Scott Lobdell was probably making more royalties of any Big 2 writer.

I still love the 90s Ghost Rider (Dan Ketch). Hell, I even enjoy Vengeance which I believe has a potential for upside.

Nick Cage was not a good option and the scripts were horrible. The comics have been pretty blah since then too. Turning him orange and manga was pfffttttt.

Give him a decent actor and a better -script and it might be gold. In all honesty, it would work better if he wasn't the focus/sole character.

Patrick

That Ghost Rider, the ONLY Ghost Rider for my money, was wonderful. I jumped on because of the X-Men crossover and the Brood!

I think the problem is that those movies, at least the first one, probably happened or t least fast tracked because Nic Cage was involved. I think -script and just what constituted a comic book movie was more the issues, I think good Nic Cage is a fine actor.

Cage has done some great movies. But quite some time ago. And definitely not of the hero variety. The thought that he wanted to be Superman makes me laugh fairly hard.

Patrick

I will have to disagree with that...

UXM 201 and NM 87 were mainstays on its top ten lists each month for a while.

As back issues they were but he's right Wizard didn't come out until Spiderman #1 which was several months (maybe even a year?) after NM87

I think Venom was bigger than Cable in the 90's. NM 87 sold for more but there were more copies. Marvel even made Venom a hero to put him in more comics...and they all sold well. I bought Deadpool 1, Cable 1, Gambit 1 and Venom 1...and bloodshot 1 and turok 1 and ff 371 and silver surfer 50 and etc., etc. lol

Venom wasn't "VENOM!!!!" until Lethal Protector in 1993.

Cable, however, was a huge hit by the middle of 1990.

Cable was around for a year and a half before Wizard's first issue (Jan of 1990 vs. July of 1991.)

New Mutants #87....again...was a $65 book by the time New Mutants #100 rolled around...several months before Wizard.

In fact....New Mutants #87 dominated the early Wizard "top 10" charts, but was actually on its way down soon after.

No, Wizard had nothing to do with Cable's popularity.

I will have to disagree with that...

UXM 201 and NM 87 were mainstays on its top ten lists each month for a while.

I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with.

Wizard did not exist when Cable became popular.

It hadn't been created yet.

I think Venom was bigger than Cable in the 90's. NM 87 sold for more but there were more copies. Marvel even made Venom a hero to put him in more comics...and they all sold well. I bought Deadpool 1, Cable 1, Gambit 1 and Venom 1...and bloodshot 1 and turok 1 and ff 371 and silver surfer 50 and etc., etc. lol

Venom wasn't "VENOM!!!!" until Lethal Protector in 1993.

Cable, however, was a huge hit by the middle of 1990.

Cable was around for a year and a half before Wizard's first issue (Jan of 1990 vs. July of 1991.)

New Mutants #87....again...was a $65 book by the time New Mutants #100 rolled around...several months before Wizard.

In fact....New Mutants #87 dominated the early Wizard "top 10" charts, but was actually on its way down soon after.

No, Wizard had nothing to do with Cable's popularity.

+1

Funny to read this silliness of people making up there own conclusions out of thin air to downgrade Cable..it's to funny. When did comic collecting and investing become so sad. I can't stand comic investors that don't really like comics..if you truly like comics you will be happy about a character or title doing good. Instead we tell outright lies....wow it's crazy lol

We've discussed this before, but perspective is necessary, and we ought not be relying solely on our own memories and experiences when discussing history.

As I've said elsewhere (the ASM #361 thread) Venom wasn't a monster character until the Lethal Protector mini, which was 1993.

This is borne out by all of the print media, comics journals, back issue ads, price guides, etc, of the day, which barely mention Venom UNTIL Lethal Protector in 1993. Yes, Venom was on the rise...certainly...but in 1991, the hottest character in comics was the Punisher (who appeared in 65+ unique comics that year), and the hottest new character was Cable, hands down, without a doubt.

It's also important to remember that, prior to about 15-20 years ago, it was very, VERY rare for a villain to become popular in their own right. The Joker and Super-Villain Team-Up in the mid-70's were experiments, fairly revolutionary, and their early cancellation showed that the comics buying public wasn't ready for villains to be the stars of their own series.

It's one of the reasons why Punisher languished as a character for a dozen years before coming into his own.

Even so, Marvel had to make Venom into a "sorta-hero" to really make him a successful character, and that "transformation" didn't start until ASM #361...about four years after his introduction.

When Lethal Protector came out in 1993, yes, Venom became a superstar, no doubt, and rapidly eclipsed Cable in popularity soon thereafter, for sure.

But it took 5 years for Venom to become a superstar....it took Cable 6 months, if that. In 1991, people weren't clamoring for ASM #300s because of Venom, but for McFarlane art....but they were clamoring for New Mutants #87, and it certainly wasn't because of the Liefeld art. It's really rather difficult to overstate the effect Cable had almost immediately.

Here are some examples:

(From the Overstreet Update #21, cover date May/June, 1992, coming out Feb of 1992)

"Top five requested issues and their prices are: New Mutants #87 ($60), X-Men #201 ($10), Silver Surfer #34 ($12), Thor #412 ($18) and Ghost Rider #4 ($20)." (Comics Unlimited/Heroes & Fantasies, San Antonio TX)

(No mention of ASM #300.)

"New Mutants #87 is far and away the most requested back issue. Over one weekend, we sold all three copies we had for $70 each. Next in demand is Iron Fist #14, with NM copies bringing $100, then X-Men #201 which sells great at $18, followed by Astonishing Tales #25 ($100 in NM) and last but not least, Iron Man #55 ($125 in NM.)" (Showcase Collectibles, Alhparetta GA)

(No mention of ASM #300.)

"Everybody wants, but nobody has, New Mutants #87, When I think of all the copies I sold for $5, I want to cry. Everyone was asking for Uncanny X-Men #201, allegedly the first appearance of Cable, but when I put it on the wall for $10, everyone runs away screaming. So it goes." (Electric City Comics, Schenectady, NY)

"Top five: 1) New Mutants #87, 2) Any Darkhawk, 3) X-Men #201, 4) X-Men #282, 5) X-Men #266." (Comic Cavalcade, Champaign IL)

"RECENT BACK ISSUES - New Mutants #87 sells regularly for $50, while surrounding issues sell from $7 to $25." (Squonk, UK)

(No mentions of ASM #300 in any of those reports.)

Of the 10 market reports, 7 mention New Mutants #87 specifically by name, and two of the remaining three mention X-Men #201 and/or New Mutants/X-Force. Only one doesn't mention any of those.

This update came out just before, or right with, ASM #361...and yet, there's only a single mention of Venom that I can see in the entire report, and that's in reference to the upcoming ASM #361-363 storyline...no word of ASM #300.

Not saying that's the way it should be now, but Cable really was a pretty special case there for a while

So was NM 87 down by the time Cable 1 came out? I feel like it was still silly expensive, but that might have been a copy gathering dust on my LCS wall at that point?

with that said, you're quoting a 1992 magazine, are you sure cable was so spensive by the time of NM 100? (i was out of collecting then, i was reading some comics my college roommate took home, thats about it)

Funny to read this silliness of people making up there own conclusions out of thin air to downgrade Cable..it's to funny. When did comic collecting and investing become so sad. I can't stand comic investors that don't really like comics..if you truly like comics you will be happy about a character or title doing good. Instead we tell outright lies....wow it's crazy lol

You're the person who was trying to pump Old Man Logan reprints a while back, only with a new screen name, aren't you?