• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Not really heating up, but I'm surprised to see people pay $12 for this. There is currently a VF+ at $8.50. Feels like a $1 book to me.

Detective Comics #554

None of these are really $1 books anymore, although really I'm thinking of a bit higher grade. Particularly Batman, but Detective also, anything 75 cent cover price or earlier can do a bunch better if in nice shape (NM or better).

On a lark I listed about 100 high grade Batmans and Detectives from the 80s and total "nothing" non-keys often fetched $5-$8, provided they were in nice shape, but I wasn't claiming strict 9.8, although 9.4-9.6 or 9.6/9.8

Edited by the blob

I spec new material every week with solid mechanics built over years' but NOTHING beats my gut instincts.

If I like something, I'm never afraid to roll with it.

Epic wins...

Disastrous losses...

I love it.

As a fan of the hobby it has to be tough at times separating personal story and character likes versus what is going to lead to sales afterwards.

Totally agree. It's been very tough for me as well. I am not my customers. These two movie quotes help:

"Don't get emotional about stock."

"Don't get high on your own supply."

Not really heating up, but I'm surprised to see people pay $12 for this. There is currently a VF+ at $8.50. Feels like a $1 book to me.

Detective Comics #554

None of these are really $1 books anymore, although really I'm thinking of a bit higher grade. Particularly Batman, but Detective also, anything 75 cent cover price or earlier can do a bunch better if in nice shape (NM or better).

On a lark I listed about 100 high grade Batmans and Detectives from the 80s and total "nothing" non-keys often fetched $5-$8, provided they were in nice shape, but I wasn't claiming strict 9.8, although 9.4-9.6 or 9.6/9.8

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that a 30 year old, high grade Batman title would sell for $12. But the cover stinks and Batman isn't the focus.

For a while.

But this is just going off of my memory. I do NOT have any "proof", lol ...

I shopped in the Louisville, KY market back then, and the store had a ton of traffic going in and out on a daily basis.

If you were shopping at The Great Escape, I can verify that is correct. I was shopping in Louisville at the time (still am!) and that definitely lines up with my recollection.

I remember when Hawk & Dove came out and seeing that cover thinking its Art Adams, I bought it immediately without thinking, next month everyone was talking about that book and this new artist. the next big liefeld book was What If #7.. When it got to NM85/86 Rob was already the new "new kid on the block" (fresh soon after Mcfarlane) and then everything else followed

A walk down Copper Age memory lane.

:cloud9:

I remember having that Hawk & Dove mini series. The artwork was actually not bad compared to the later New Mutants work.

28840-4249-32020-1-what-if-.jpg

I forgot about this one.

I know we've talked about this book before in other threads, but I'll state one more time that for all of the Liefeld gets, this book absolutely stood out on the racks when I was a kid, and I read it over and over again, simply because the art was new and exciting.

Of course, even as a kid I realized that some of the anatomy was wonky (I think there's a DPS of the Hulk fighting Wendigo, and one of them has, like, an extra arm's worth of arm in their arm) but it was so dynamic and different, it really flipped my lid.

I think Rob's early work, when tempered by a good inker, is still pretty fun stuff.

My first exposure to Liefeld was the Hawk & Dove mini series, and I liked it. :o Yes, I said that. However, even now when I look back on his work on that mini, it's pretty cringe worthy.

I remember when Hawk & Dove came out and seeing that cover thinking its Art Adams, I bought it immediately without thinking, next month everyone was talking about that book and this new artist. the next big liefeld book was What If #7.. When it got to NM85/86 Rob was already the new "new kid on the block" (fresh soon after Mcfarlane) and then everything else followed

I remember having that Hawk & Dove mini series. The artwork was actually not bad compared to the later New Mutants work.

I forgot about this one.

I know we've talked about this book before in other threads, but I'll state one more time that for all of the Liefeld gets, this book absolutely stood out on the racks when I was a kid, and I read it over and over again, simply because the art was new and exciting.

Of course, even as a kid I realized that some of the anatomy was wonky (I think there's a DPS of the Hulk fighting Wendigo, and one of them has, like, an extra arm's worth of arm in their arm) but it was so dynamic and different, it really flipped my lid.

I think Rob's early work, when tempered by a good inker, is still pretty fun stuff.

Killer bullet holes. I'm not sure that gun fits into that holster though.

For a while.

I shopped in the Louisville, KY market back then, and the store had a ton of traffic going in and out on a daily basis.

If you were shopping at The Great Escape, I can verify that is correct. I was shopping in Louisville at the time (still am!) and that definitely lines up with my recollection.

lol , indeed it was!!

I loved that store...

For a while.

lol , indeed it was!!

I loved that store...

:applause:

It's a great shop. I was just there this weekend for one of their 50 cent sales. Nothing mind-blowing, but I enjoyed digging through the bins.

I forgot about this one.

Why would Wolverine need a gun? :screwy:

I forgot about this one.

To look cool of course.

For a while.

lol , indeed it was!!

I loved that store...

:applause:

It's a great shop. I was just there this weekend for one of their 50 cent sales. Nothing mind-blowing, but I enjoyed digging through the bins.

What I hate is the tape they use. Especially if its been taped a long time just cut the top of the bag off because they tape isn't coming off. :frustrated:

I forgot about this one.

Shield issued. lol