• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

I once wrote an "investment column" for Clay's Comics (well, a tryout, anyways) in Hayward, CA in 1991. This was just after the Lobo mini had come out, and I was suggesting that it might be the next ASM #129.

Which, in theory, wasn't a bad prediction, had DC treated the character correctly.

But, as many of you know, it didn't quite pan out that way.

Oops.

Hey, I was 18.

:insane:

Do you think that is the "secondary grail" behind Omega Men, now?

If not, what?

In a world that pays me $10-$15 for X-Force 2's, Lobo #1 has potential.

( You're also seven years younger than me?! Jebus. you look like you got beat up with a bag of donuts. I had you pegged as seven years older. Minimum )

Oh please. I've seen you at shows, you look like you got hit by every branch of the ugly tree you fell out of, and you have a distinctly stalker vibe.

:D

I'm no prize by any stretch, but there's no way on earth I look like I'm in my late 50's.

Silly Larry.

PS. I'd look to books like JLI #18-19, Legion '89 #4, etc.

I'm handsome as the day is long.

And. I. Know it.

If Gary Busey is handsome, sure, you're handsome, too.

My question is...why are you checking me out, anyways...? I'm just not that into you. Stringy, short, old, scrawny, and stalker-y isn't really my type. Plus, you know...you're a dude and all.

:foryou:

JLI 18 it is.

1st main man Lobo.

Has a nice ring to it.

Also. The cover is absolutely fabulous.

And it's a pair.

It looked like Marvel was going to reinvent the character in the 1990s but that fizzled.

---------

Yeah, but they had a pretty good run for 5 or so years while doing that.

Have they ever tried to super soldier serum him or anything like that?

As for 1970's Deathwish...the 1990s had a lot of crime too, so a character like him worked too. Maybe we're going back that way culturally and vigilantes will be back in favor.

Is there an RMA picture somewhere in this thread?

Me..when I shave my beard I look like a 35 year old fat guy. When I have my beard going I look like a 50 year old fat guy (because it's got a lot of white in it). The truth lies somewhere in between.

I once wrote an "investment column" for Clay's Comics (well, a tryout, anyways) in Hayward, CA in 1991. This was just after the Lobo mini had come out, and I was suggesting that it might be the next ASM #129.

Which, in theory, wasn't a bad prediction, had DC treated the character correctly.

But, as many of you know, it didn't quite pan out that way.

Oops.

Hey, I was 18.

:insane:

Do you think that is the "secondary grail" behind Omega Men, now?

If not, what?

In a world that pays me $10-$15 for X-Force 2's, Lobo #1 has potential.

( You're also seven years younger than me?! Jebus. you look like you got beat up with a bag of donuts. I had you pegged as seven years older. Minimum )

Oh please. I've seen you at shows, you look like you got hit by every branch of the ugly tree you fell out of, and you have a distinctly stalker vibe.

:D

I'm no prize by any stretch, but there's no way on earth I look like I'm in my late 50's.

Silly Larry.

PS. I'd look to books like JLI #18-19, Legion '89 #4, etc.

I'm handsome as the day is long.

And. I. Know it.

JLI 18 it is.

1st main man Lobo.

Has a nice ring to it.

Also. The cover is absolutely fabulous.

JLI 18-19 were great issues, Guy Gardner and the main man Lobo, what is not to like. Heck that whole JLI run was fantastic.

Hopefully they will kill off the New 52 version Fobo, and bring back the main man with Rebirth.

(I can't believe Larry's flirting with me. Not sure if I'm flattered or completely terrified.)

:eek:

You should be flattered if ANYTHING flirts with you.

ANYTHING.

So you ARE flirting with me!

:luhv:

Yep.

But I'm a wicked 'Copper tease"

It looked like Marvel was going to reinvent the character in the 1990s but that fizzled.

---------

Not sure about that, but there was zombie Punisher with the failed Bernie Wrightson miniseries, which I think was the first reboot attempt after the main three '80s/90s books ended.

And then there was the Franken-Castle thing from Punisher War Journal vol. 2.

Basic summary (from Wikipedia):

After "Dark Reign," in which Castle tried to assassinate Norman Osborn, he was dismembered and killed by Wolverine's son, Daken, and reassembled as a Frankenstein monster by Morbius and the Legion of Monsters.

---------

Not sure about that, but there was zombie Punisher with the failed Bernie Wrightson miniseries, which I think was the first reboot attempt after the main three '80s/90s books ended.

After "Dark Reign," in which Castle tried to assassinate Norman Osborn, he was dismembered and killed by Wolverine's son, Daken, and reassembled as a Frankenstein monster by Morbius and the Legion of Monsters.

Its about as awesome as it sounds. Whatever that means to you.

The biggest problem with the Punisher is the character is based on a archetype that has it's roots firmly planted in the 1970s. That was the era of the Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood revenge movies which spawned the Punisher. It looked like Marvel was going to reinvent the character in the 1990s but that fizzled. The character has been on life support every since then. The Netflix appearances will drawn attention to the character, but the Punisher's best days are behind him. Luckily, the aging fanbase remembers the character and his heyday, which is why ASM #129 is so valuable. Punisher's rise and fall are akin to the rise and fall of action hero movies. When Schwarzenegger, Willis, Stallone, Norris, etc. where at their peak, so was the Punisher. When those movies went out of favor, so did the Punisher.

The Punisher Max run did well enough to last 75 issues and still has a core of readers in the TPB market, IMO some of Ennis's best work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MUTANTS-88-4-90-2nd-APPEARANCE-CABLE-X-FACTOR-X-MEN-ROB-LIEFELD-XF-/201534013958?hash=item2eec5d0206%3Ag%3AaqkAAOSwP%7EtW1%7Eq-&nma=true&si=r7XtBBwTcf%252BEXa3%252B7WPwul1lSMc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

--

I guess this is the problem with giving a fuzzy partially cropped front cover only photo, not assigning a grade, and then say "look carefully at the picture to determine the grade"....

with that said, that issue is all over the place. it should be a solid $10-$25 book right now and it only sometimes is.

Edited by the blob

The biggest problem with the Punisher is the character is based on a archetype that has it's roots firmly planted in the 1970s. That was the era of the Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood revenge movies which spawned the Punisher. It looked like Marvel was going to reinvent the character in the 1990s but that fizzled. The character has been on life support every since then. The Netflix appearances will drawn attention to the character, but the Punisher's best days are behind him. Luckily, the aging fanbase remembers the character and his heyday, which is why ASM #129 is so valuable. Punisher's rise and fall are akin to the rise and fall of action hero movies. When Schwarzenegger, Willis, Stallone, Norris, etc. where at their peak, so was the Punisher. When those movies went out of favor, so did the Punisher.

The Punisher Max run did well enough to last 75 issues and still has a core of readers in the TPB market, IMO some of Ennis's best work

That was a niche market, allthough generally well done.

I actually think the Punisher would do well on a premium channel tv series. Has anyone seen Strike Back on Cinemax? its two supersoldiers shoot and eff their way around the world battling terrorists in one or two episode arcs on a weekly basis, obviously with 1 or 2 seasonal 'big bads' they have to kill before the end of the season. Or Banshee, along the same vein?

I don't see any reason the punisher can't do something similarly episodic where he basically targets certain crime lords every week or two in and around the east coast, with some random headshots, nudity, and implausibly survived shootouts, while trying to reach a bigger villain or solve a larger mystery.

Season 1 is easy: Find and kill the people who killed his family.

Season 2 : Punisher vs the police, and punisher goes to prison, kills a super villain in prison

Season 3: Punisher vs Kingpin (or a similar crime boss), one can toss in Bullseye or something.

Season 4: If you get this far, you can do Dark Reign where Norman Osborn or someone similar actually has the US government hunting for him

Sprinkle in some villains with very minor powers, some pretty girls, some creative traps laid for gangsters to die, and you've got a show. Not the best show ever, but a good Punisher show that caters to Punisher fans and young males in the demo, which is all you were ever going to get anyways.

---------

Its about as awesome as it sounds. Whatever that means to you.

I almost laughed out loud at this. Which makes it very funny.

Those series by Ennis were on the right track. Like Ennis is prone to do, he sometimes goes too far.

Patrick

That was a niche market, allthough generally well done.

I actually think the Punisher would do well on a premium channel tv series. Has anyone seen Strike Back on Cinemax? its two supersoldiers shoot and eff their way around the world battling terrorists in one or two episode arcs on a weekly basis, obviously with 1 or 2 seasonal 'big bads' they have to kill before the end of the season. Or Banshee, along the same vein?

I don't see any reason the punisher can't do something similarly episodic where he basically targets certain crime lords every week or two in and around the east coast, with some random headshots, nudity, and implausibly survived shootouts, while trying to reach a bigger villain or solve a larger mystery.

Season 1 is easy: Find and kill the people who killed his family.

Season 2 : Punisher vs the police, and punisher goes to prison, kills a super villain in prison

Season 3: Punisher vs Kingpin (or a similar crime boss), one can toss in Bullseye or something.

Season 4: If you get this far, you can do Dark Reign where Norman Osborn or someone similar actually has the US government hunting for him

Sprinkle in some villains with very minor powers, some pretty girls, some creative traps laid for gangsters to die, and you've got a show. Not the best show ever, but a good Punisher show that caters to Punisher fans and young males in the demo, which is all you were ever going to get anyways.

Season 5. Punisher goes to Space.

The Punisher is a 1 dimensional character, that's the problem with him.

Is it the problem? I think it's the strength.

Kev,

I have to agree here; I think one-dimension is his strength. Got a problem? Annihilate it. :sumo:

-d