• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Least mainstream book on your pull list?

28 posts in this topic

I used to be a big collector of many things indy, but I've pulled back on my spending (to spend more on Bronze and Silver Marvel and OGNs/TPBs) and a lot of those titles got the ax.

Whats the title you read regularly (comes out at least 3 or 4 times a year) that isn't read by many others?

I'd probably have to go with True Story: Swear to God. Rest of the stuff tends to be Slave Labor or Oni, and plenty of stores carry their stuff now.

Well, it used to be CEREBUS, but that's done now. When FOLLOWING CEREBUS starts I'll pick that up, but that's more of a magazine than a comic.

Least mainstream you say...

I like EIGHTBALL when it shows, and I also pick up Peter Bagge's HATE ANNUAL. Problem is those books only ship once or twice a year.

The Oni stuff I get tends to be graphic novels like Days Like This and the upcoming Scandalous.

Bone, Strangers in Paradise and Stray Bullets are series that I opted to buy collected editions of rather than monthlies.

I hesitate to say that Army of Darkness is non-mainstream, but that's the only book I'm willing to commit to regularly at the moment that is not published by Marvel or DC. I do like Steve Rude's The Moth (Dark Horse) and Hellboy when it is published. The Goon is pretty good too... Wanted... and Conan.

Kev

Outside of Dc and Marvel, the only other books I get regularly are Conan from Dark Horse and Bite Club. I just haven't read anything that's any good from independent publishers.

Since i was curious, here are the non-DC (includding Wildstorm)/ Marvel books I've picked up recently (last few months)

Ministry of Space

Wanted

Dark Horse

The Moth

The Escapist

Conan

Chosen

IDW

Silent Hill Dying Inside

Aleister Arcane

Remains

30 Days of Knight Return to Barrow

The Unfunnies

Yuggoth Creatures

Yuggoth Cultures

DDP

The Hedge Knight

Army of Darkness Ashes to Ashes

Rob, these are some good reads!

Dark Horse

Conan

Chosen

IDW

Silent Hill Dying Inside

Remains

30 Days of Knight Return to Barrow

I might have to scrape up some cash to check out some of the others you listed.

Where is Chosen # 3???

How do you feel about "Remains"?

There are times when it's so completely derivative I'm almost offended that I bought it... and then it comes right back with something just completely mind-blowingly awesome (like the cliffhanger from the most recent issue).

I've also really liked DEMO, though the last 2 issues, the mixtape one and the dead town one I thought were sort of sub-par.

Love Fights is great as well, too bad 12 is the last issue.

There are times when it's so completely derivative I'm almost offended that I bought it... and then it comes right back with something just completely mind-blowingly awesome (like the cliffhanger from the most recent issue).

That about sums it up. It treads along in very comfortable territory (which doesn't really bother me all that much since I just like zombies) and then all of a sudden something totally screwed up happens or something unexpected is introduced to keep the story interesting. There were a couple of moments like that in the last one.

That about sums it up. It treads along in very comfortable territory (which doesn't really bother me all that much since I just like zombies) and then all of a sudden something totally screwed up happens or something unexpected is introduced to keep the story interesting. There were a couple of moments like that in the last one.

Official Zombie fan here too! I think this book is getting better as it goes along, the finger bite was awesome!

Official Zombie fan here too! I think this book is getting better as it goes along, the finger bite was awesome!

Yeah, I really have to say that in terms of page-turning shocks n' suspense, this issue took the cake! Dang... makes me want to go read them all again...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you a "Walking Dead" fan, too, Jayman?

Are you a "Walking Dead" fan, too, Jayman?

Funny, when the first issue came out I picked it up and thought "pretty good but just another Dawn of the Dead storyline". Then I read some reviews in CSN about the story not being about the zombies but more of a human survival tale. Somehow at the time I didn't think I would like it and decided to pass on the title. There is just so much I can spend on books each week... 893blahblah.gif

Now I hear it is getting great reviews and I have seen the trade out. What's your take on it? How does it compare to Remains, if at all?

PS: Love the new avatar! shocked.gif