• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First 3 Watchmen covers in Feb HA

154 posts in this topic

Yes, the cover to #11 is a recreation. Either the original or the published stated cover or some version thereof showed up and sold on eBay about 6+ years ago. No one paid it much attention at the time since it isn't much of a cover and it sold for a song.

It was around four years ago, if memory serves, and was the prelim.

Are you sure it was the prelim? I know the #11 was lost somehow and that's why Shamus had it recreated but I don't recall what showed up on eBay as being the prelim.

I know you keep records though so I'll defer to you.

It was the prelim. I don't keep records, but I know the seller, so remember this auction.

Since then I've gone back and read it once a year, and come away with something different each and every time. A previous poster noted the artistry of the book's layouts, and called it the Citizen Kane of comic books (I'd love to read that article he referenced, BTW). Although I've heard this sentiment expressed across a variety of mediums, this might be the most deserving.

I didn't actually call WM the "CITIZEN KANE of comic books", but was making the point that, like CK, WM can't be fully appreciated unless the viewer/reader is willing to invest some time in dissecting it.

Here's a link:

http://www.capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen/

J. Michael Straczynski had a fantastic write-up about Gibbons' WATCHMEN art a few years ago where he took one pedestrian looking page and completely broke it down. He wanted to show how even the simplest looking page was packed with meaning and the effortless flow of one panel to the next. Unfortunately, when I try to Google "J. Michael Straczynski" and "WATCHMEN" all that comes up is BEFORE WATCHMEN. :P

I stand corrected--thanks for the link!

There is a huge difference between "packed with symbolism" and "visually appealing". The art for Watchmen is undeniably the former, and in my opinion, not at all the latter. The coloring is also AWFUL.

That's a style vs. substance debate. The art is very formal, no question. Perhaps rigid. It won't (and doesn't) appeal to everyone. Obviously.

Another link:

http://comicscomicsmag.com/2010/10/9-panel-grids.html

Well I hope everyone else out there is as unimpressed by the covers as the people on these boards as I would LOVE to have one. I saw them at the museum showing in NYC and I just stood staring at them for a couple hours.

The color guide to #1 is probably going to hammer for the highest known price paid for a color guide.

Whats the current record?

Highest I can recall is the one for GS X-MEN #1:

comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=820&lotNo=6488

$4481.25 from May 2006. I think this one will go higher. I'm not sure it will sell for as much as a nice page (in my mind, it shouldn't), but nothing would surprise me anymore.

The color guide to #1 is probably going to hammer for the highest known price paid for a color guide.

$4481.25 from May 2006. I think this one will go higher. I'm not sure it will sell for as much as a nice page (in my mind, it shouldn't), but nothing would surprise me anymore.

If that color guide goes for anywhere near the above auction result can you IMAGINE what Ebay's OA section will look like the next day?!?!

It's already awash with prints and posters and color guides....everyone will think they are retiring off of their crayola'd xeroxes. :facepalm:

If that color guide goes for anywhere near the above auction result can you IMAGINE what Ebay's OA section will look like the next day?!?!

It's already awash with prints and posters and color guides....everyone will think they are retiring off of their crayola'd xeroxes. :facepalm:

+1, it is getting quite frustrating.

mocca-05.jpg

So is there a colored and black and white version?

The b/w version is the original art. The color piece is the color guide by John Higgins, which appears will also be available at this auction. It may be what Tim is looking for. It will certainly cost a lot less. Although color guides don't have the cachet of pen/ink OA (at least amongst our insular group as Gene notes), that shouldn't matter as much to fans such as Tim. (Although it is smaller, which may be a deal-breaker for Tim's wall.)

I have no interest in acquiring a color guide.

mocca-05.jpg

So is there a colored and black and white version?

The b/w version is the original art. The color piece is the color guide by John Higgins, which appears will also be available at this auction. It may be what Tim is looking for. It will certainly cost a lot less. Although color guides don't have the cachet of pen/ink OA (at least amongst our insular group as Gene notes), that shouldn't matter as much to fans such as Tim. (Although it is smaller, which may be a deal-breaker for Tim's wall.)

I have no interest in acquiring a color guide.

You could always buy the original and have it hand-colored (shrug)

:baiting:

I also think the hammer price for the color guide will benefit from it being auctioned after the cover. After all, if the cover goes for 150K what's another 10K for the color guide either to the winner of the cover or in comparison to the price for the cover. Sure it's not Bolland but those kinds of details don't seem to matter as much anymore.

I also think the hammer price for the color guide will benefit from it being auctioned after the cover. After all, if the cover goes for 150K what's another 10K for the color guide either to the winner of the cover or in comparison to the price for the cover. Sure it's not Bolland but those kinds of details don't seem to matter as much anymore.

Yep thats exactly my thinking as well