• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its Back!! Detective 29 CGC 1.0 now a 1.5

44 posts in this topic

It's a bit disconcerting that someone could apply non-archival tape to a book and get an upgrade in a blue label holder, yet applying archival fully removable rice paper or some such to seal a spine split will get a purple. Alas though, this has been hashed and re-hashed.

Sometimes, a point is "hashed and re-hashed" not because people are stubbornly repeating a point but because the point remains valid while the problematic thing being pointed out continues to occur, and remains uncorrected.

It is one fugly book. I am just floored at the prices these low grade books are commanding for price. I would personally own one book in 4.0 to 6.0 than 10 books in this type of condition but to each their own.

Well, the problem is that most of us can't afford a single 1.5 copy, let alone 10. Also, not a 4.0 to 6.0 copy. However, I'd rather have a Qualified with a better looking cover (coupon clipped, staples replaced, etc).

It is one fugly book. I am just floored at the prices these low grade books are commanding for price. I would personally own one book in 4.0 to 6.0 than 10 books in this type of condition but to each their own.

Well, the problem is that most of us can't afford a single 1.5 copy, let alone 10. Also, not a 4.0 to 6.0 copy. However, I'd rather have a Qualified with a better looking cover (coupon clipped, staples replaced, etc).

At $12k, I could come up with a LONG list of other books I would rather have that I could get in much higher grade but someone must really want a Detective 29 in their collection.

I think the thing with this book is it's "affordable". There is a huge gap between the people willing to spend 10K for a book vs 20K. I still think it's crazy that this book was messed with again, took further damage and has a very odd back cover and yet netted almost 3K more then it did a short while ago.

It is possible it went to someone who doesn't look on ebay and it is also possible that the timing was better now for someone then it was a few months ago and as such they were able to bid/bid higher on the book.

James G

Funny, I guess I'm one of those guys that likes the beater books - my hope is to own a few DC GA keys (outside of Action 1 and Tec 27 that are outside of my range) - and would prefer to own the few key books in beat-but-complete universal condition, than one key in nicer condition...

I missed winning this book on Ebay when it came along, and really wanted it. But since that time I gladly "spent out" on my Action 7 1.0, and so there are no funds left for this book now. If I'd had the money, I think I'd have made a run at it (at about $12K), troubles and all...

... but, come to think of it, I can only afford one beater copy of a DC GA key...

... but I love it ... :cloud9:

At $12k, I could come up with a LONG list of other books I would rather have that I could get in much higher grade but someone must really want a Detective 29 in their collection.

If you've got a greater interest in other books in higher grade, that's fair enough. But I'm a little puzzled by the shock that this book would continue to garner interest and escalating prices. It is a significant book within the hobby, no? (shrug)

Funny, I guess I'm one of those guys that likes the beater books - my hope is to own a few DC GA keys (outside of Action 1 and Tec 27 that are outside of my range) - and would prefer to own the few key books in beat-but-complete universal condition, than one key in nicer condition...

I missed winning this book on Ebay when it came along, and really wanted it. But since that time I gladly "spent out" on my Action 7 1.0, and so there are no funds left for this book now. If I'd had the money, I think I'd have made a run at it (at about $12K), troubles and all...

... but, come to think of it, I can only afford one beater copy of a DC GA key...

... but I love it ... :cloud9:

At least you still came home with a grail. :applause:

This is the same book sold on ebay a few months back

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2013jan%26session%3D2%26pg%3D4%23Item_953504&id=953504

I guess with some more tape and the cover aligned much better the grade went up a half a point. I never understood why it was so poorly aligned in the first place. It will be interesting to see how this does as the original ebay Sparkle City price of $9600 was felt to be very strong. Now the same book with a half grade bump is back up for sale a short time later.

James G

With CGC and Comiclink fees I wonder how much profit was left when all was said and done? hm

Anyone else hate the bonus cgc gives taped books? At the very list they should green label these. Personally I avoid any book that has been taped.

Everytime I see a Captain America,Superman or Batman ga book going for a decent price on Ebay or other auction houses I then look closely at them,and then realize they have some kind of tape on them which is a major turn off for me. I then pass. (shrug)

I really don't get why everyone thinks this price is crazy. I don't at all. If I had made a few sales I was going to bid on this book, but I was lazy and didn't get the money in time. I would have went to 12-13k easy. I don't care if its the highest price paid or it has a small piece missing. When I see books like this it still makes my heart skip a beat, and I get that "wow" feeling. Everyone has to over examine the book to death ya it has received an undeserving grade bump IMHO, and ya if I had 25k I could get a better book but I don't have that kinda money. I guess what I'm saying is if I owned that book it would be put on a pedestal and I would worship it. I guess I love comics not what kind of plastic case it's in.

I agree. There's a market out there for guys like us who love Golden Age comics, but can't afford the $25,000+ books. So generally issues like 'Tec 29 are out of reach, unless you can find one in this shape (I can't even afford this one). Sure, I could change my collecting focus to high grade bronze, but that doesn't excite me as much as a beater GA.

I agree. There's a market out there for guys like us who love Golden Age comics, but can't afford the $25,000+ books. So generally issues like 'Tec 29 are out of reach, unless you can find one in this shape (I can't even afford this one). Sure, I could change my collecting focus to high grade bronze, but that doesn't excite me as much as a beater GA.

Yup same here

Great book! It's one I'm missing in my collection. I dropped out at $10k. If I won I'd have it restored/conserved. But at the price it sold for it wouldn't be cost effective since restored copies can go for $10-$12k.