• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How high would you personally grade Marvel chipping.

20 posts in this topic

Don't want to seem like I'm harshing on anyone's books, but over the years it's been broadly noted that CGC seems to be pretty lenient with Marvel chipping, and given books grades which seem pretty generous given the actual damage to the comic. I realize that it's considered the result of a production defect and not mishandling of the book, but plenty of early Marvels don't have the flaw, and unlike say bindry chips, the Marvel chipping wasn't there when the book was distributed ( though the tears might have been) - when I actively sought out early Marvels in the early 1970s, I don't recall seeing anything with Marvel chipping, so it would seem to be a result of the edge getting slightly brittle over the years.

I'm curious to know - absent CGC - how boardies would personally grade a book with 50% or more of the right edge chipped. Honestly , I don't care how nice the rest of the book looks, I'd have a hard time considering it more than 4.0 - maybe 4.5, with that sort of paper loss.

I think the market is speaking on this one. There is often a sizable gap between the price of a book with significant chipping and a book with no chipping even when the CGC grades and PQ are the same. Check out sales of AF 15 for examples.

I think CGC is much too lenient on chipping and bindery problems in general.

I also think that sometimes they assume a problem is bindery, when in fact it was self inflicted. Anyway, as stated above, the market does reflect negatively on chips. Personally, I am an eye appeal collector and most chips will bother me. However, there are a few books, like an FF1, with a basically white cover that a chip can blend into and is acceptable. No way on an AF15 with that dark brown cover.

a flaw is a flaw....when I open Gator's grading services, an otherwise 7.5 af 15 with marvel chipping up and down will be graded as it is (3.0 or 4.0 or whatever)...

that said, the market definitely has spoken...often times 20% or more price difference in MC and non MC copies of same grade/pq

a flaw is a flaw....when I open Gator's grading services, an otherwise 7.5 af 15 with marvel chipping up and down will be graded as it is (3.0 or 4.0 or whatever)...

that said, the market definitely has spoken...often times 20% or more price difference in MC and non MC copies of same grade/pq

20% isn't that much, as it's frequently the difference between a 7.0 and a 6.5

a 6.5 at 25K or a 7.0 at 40K...far more than 20% on an af15...milage will vary with other keys, as they are not as high priced (thumbs u

and many times the MC is only a .5 grade diff

I mean that a 6.5 with mc is a 20K book, vs a 6.5 without mc that is a 25K...that 20%, at those levels, is fairly significant

or a 5.0 with marvel chipping is a 10K book and a 5.0 without is a 12K book...

or apply to a hulk 1...a 4.0 with marvel chipping is a 4K book to me, and a 4.0 without is a 5K book...20% is pretty consistent

higher grades, MC is very limited in what I have seen (outside of that 7.5 af15 with mc, which I would value at 45-50K, and a 7.5 without at 60K...20% give or take, but the "10K" is the real number )...

I'm curious to know - absent CGC - how boardies would personally grade a book with 50% or more of the right edge chipped. Honestly , I don't care how nice the rest of the book looks, I'd have a hard time considering it more than 4.0 - maybe 4.5, with that sort of paper loss.

So you'd grade this book a 4.0? It has no reading or handling wear whatsoever, and no pieces are missing. The entire right edge and some of the top edge have Marvel tears/pre-chips.

JIM90.jpg

a 6.5 at 25K or a 7.0 at 40K...far more than 20% on an af15...milage will vary with other keys, as they are not as high priced (thumbs u

and many times the MC is only a .5 grade diff

I mean that a 6.5 with mc is a 20K book, vs a 6.5 without mc that is a 25K...that 20%, at those levels, is fairly significant

or a 5.0 with marvel chipping is a 10K book and a 5.0 without is a 12K book...

or apply to a hulk 1...a 4.0 with marvel chipping is a 4K book to me, and a 4.0 without is a 5K book...20% is pretty consistent

higher grades, MC is very limited in what I have seen (outside of that 7.5 af15 with mc, which I would value at 45-50K, and a 7.5 without at 60K...20% give or take, but the "10K" is the real number )...

I would agree - if the CGC grade is in the 5.0 and under territory - the chipping may only knock the "perceived grade" down by .5, but as you state when the grades are higher - and in the case of a book like AF #15 - the price spreads greater ( also a bit bizarre given the inconsistencies of CGC's grading - but that's another rant), then a 20% discount would seem to fall more in the random pricing from one venue to another, and not nearly account for even a .5 drop in perceived value. Or to put it simply, a 7.0 AF #15 with chipping discounted to 32k or a 6.5 with no chipping for 25K, is there any doubt which would be the more attractive purchase.?

So you'd grade this book a 4.0? It has no reading or handling wear whatsoever, and no pieces are missing. The entire right edge and some of the top edge have Marvel tears/pre-chips.

JIM90.jpg

The scan is a little small to see the degree and number - but tears are not the same as chips. Now if half or more of the right edge were ragged due to chips missing, then yeah, 4.0/4.5 would seem more a reflection of condition than 7.0 - the same as if an otherwise unread copy had sustained insect chews losing the same amount of paper.

JIM90.jpg

The scan is a little small to see the degree and number - but tears are not the same as chips. Now if half or more of the right edge were ragged due to chips missing, then yeah, 4.0/4.5 would seem more a reflection of condition than 7.0 - the same as if an otherwise unread copy had sustained insect chews losing the same amount of paper.

There are clearly different degrees of the chipping defect

When you can buy a key without MC, why would someone buy one with MC? (shrug)

Because it looks nicer than any other copy at the assigned grade.

Be smart and buy one without MC and pay the extra 20%. :makepoint:

Everyone has a different type of defect they dislike. Not everyone dislikes Marvel chipping.

And as far as grading them, it all depends on the size as well as the quantity of the defects. There's no simple formula to grading them.

Everyone has a different type of defect they dislike. Not everyone dislikes Marvel chipping.

And as far as grading them, it all depends on the size as well as the quantity of the defects. There's no simple formula to grading them.

Try and avoid books with MC. May cost more, but you'll be happier in the long run. If my AF15 had MC on it, I'd have insomnia. 2c

IMO, there's nothing worse than parts of the book missing. Nothing.

Chipping is something I avoid, unless real slight like Bob's JIM 90. I personally don't think it should be on anything above 7.5. On the other hand, Pre Marvel tears don't bother me as much.....but I wouldn't set a GPA high for them. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u