• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one that noticed this Superman #149 9.6 that sold for 22 x guide?!

156 posts in this topic

I was up in my grandfathers attic once and found a case of sticks of butter.

It wasnt a warehouse, it was an attic.

but it was pretty excting.

and the butter wasnt too bad neither, ayup!

And...? Are you mocking me? No mocking me!

PS - if you get the butter sticks slabbed they will come back as File Sticks!

I'm certain there are still many original owner collections out there. As I'm not a fan of pedigree status,I won't comment further on that aspect,but I highly doubt there are enough of these collections that the numbers of most early SA DCs will ever get into triple digits in the census in 9.4 or better. But thats not really the point. In the marketplace today,the supply available now and the ones sold in the last five years clearly shows that these books are 1) less available than similiar Marvels and 2) fit the definition of rare and or scarce as put out by Overstreet.

Edited because I don't need to stoop to Joes level

I am in agreement with you that high grade early SA DC's exist in far fewer numbers than early HG Marvels. I also agree that there are more collections out there, but the DC HG numbers will not catch up to the HG Marvel numbers. I am in disagreement, however, with your definition of rare and scarce as put out by Overstreet.

Overstreet's definition clearly refers to the the "estimated number of copies in existence" as stated in his glossary. It does not refer to the number of copies (or # of HG copies) available in the marketplace. This is obvious by the fact that very few books are denoted with either the scarce or rare notation next to them. Generally these books are limited to the GA age and includes such books as Big Book of Fun, New Comics #2, Target #7, etc.

I don't believe any early Silver Age books would qualify as scarce or rare by OS's definition. If we expand it to mean "number of copies available in the marketplace", literally all GA and SA books up to the mid-60's would fall under the scarce or rare category. This is clearly not what OS means by his definition.

I can understand your POV,but don't agree completely.

I think the problem has been a lack of research into the numbers of boks that exist. An example being that CONGO BILL is denoted as being scarce,and rare in HG,yet Adventure 210 is not footnoted as being rare or even scarce in HG. Has anyone ever seen a NM or true HG example of this book. Its one of my grails and I've only come across one fine copy in many years of searching.

Frankenstein Jr is listed as scarce yet it pops up fairly often. I don't believe enough attention has been paid to the numbers of copies that exist in HG for most books.I would say that most GA can be considered scarce in true HG.An issue of Adventure Comics that hasn't turned up more than a dozen copys in years is scarce to me.Superboy89(First Mon-el) is not hard to find in VG,but when only one HG copy is available at a major convention,I would consider it scarce in grade.

Who,in your opinion,should be the jdge of which books get footnoted as rare or scarce? And if a book is common in mid-grade,can it be considered scarce in HG when demand far outstrips supply? That is the case for many 55-61 DCs in true HG,isn't it?

I agree with all you say. Those who think lots of 56-61 HG DCs will appear will be dissapointed.

btw, I have a pretty nice 210 . I cant tell you what grade CGC will say it is (who can?) but I will confidently say its 7.0 and (I hope!!) much higher.maybe 8.5 on a good day...

Nonetheless, still a price that is a hallmark of PCE.

holy crapola batman!!!!!!!!

30 G's for the 1st appearance of Krypto in 9.0????? That's 6x's NM- 9.2 guide price. now we all know the guide is still somewhat out of touch with the market on HG books, but this seems outlandish (quite frankly, i was astonished to see a guide NM- price of $5000 for this book - WOW).

30 G's for the 1st appearance of Krypto in 9.0????? That's 6x's NM- 9.2 guide price. now we all know the guide is still somewhat out of touch with the market on HG books, but this seems outlandish (quite frankly, i was astonished to see a guide NM- price of $5000 for this book - WOW).

I sold a coverless copy of Adventure 210 for $460. I think the price on this book is very low relevant to the marketplace.

the times they are a changin', my friend!

This is one of the best examples of the problem with Overstreet. They raised the value of a NM copy 10% last year,based on what? As no known NM copy is even known to exist,how can they put any value on it? If PCE sells their 9.0 for 30gs,will it be reflected in next years guide?

This is one of the best examples of the problem with Overstreet. They raised the value of a NM copy 10% last year,based on what? As no known NM copy is even known to exist,how can they put any value on it? If PCE sells their 9.0 for 30gs,will it be reflected in next years guide?

The point of my post was not to criticize Overstreet's price, if you know what I mean. I remember PCE had a 9.2 Adventure 247 listed for a long time that was priced 50% higher than the price that was paid for a 9.4 copy.

Adventure # 210 = not just a "9.0" but also Mohawk Valley pedigree - this book could be $50,000 in three years, unless Dallas Stephens finds 50 or 60 copies in his boxes...and the HG S.A. DC's aren't rarer than Marvels, they're just being KEPT in collections - that's why they don't have the turnover at shows that Marvel does - and that they are in elder collections also hints at the reason(s) that they aren't being slabbed. Just try to get your dad to send his valuable book to someone he's never met...

Adventure # 210 = not just a "9.0" but also Mohawk Valley pedigree - this book could be $50,000 in three years, unless Dallas Stephens finds 50 or 60 copies in his boxes...and the HG S.A. DC's aren't rarer than Marvels, they're just being KEPT in collections - that's why they don't have the turnover at shows that Marvel does - and that they are in elder collections also hints at the reason(s) that they aren't being slabbed. Just try to get your dad to send his valuable book to someone he's never met...

while i'll often bow to the vast storehouse of knowledge many possess on these boards, i do have trouble with the concept that HG SA DC's are NOT rarer than Marvels. since you can get most early 1960's marvels in HG (if you're willing to spend the dough) and cannot do the same for DC's, you suggest that many/most of the DC's are locked away in older collections.

that would then presume that DC collectors are much more loyal and/or reluctant to have their books graded. while i believe that to some small extent, i cannot accept that as total reality, as i'm sure there are also many loyal Marvel collectors out there who haven't had their books graded either.

i, for one, believe that the census, adventures/experiences of professional DC hunters, sales data, etc., are indicative of the real story. i believe that there is still a goodly amount of SA HG out there, but that it's predominantly Marvel. (IMO)