• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Comics, Superworld and Comic World

178 posts in this topic

I've purchased from Ted- he's a fantastic dealer and more importantly, a great person. Ted will always take the time to listen and discuss comic collecting and the history of this fabulous medium. Always a pleasure to see him at the shows.

John

I've purchased from Ted- he's a fantastic dealer and more importantly, a great person. Ted will always take the time to listen and discuss comic collecting and the history of this fabulous medium. Always a pleasure to see him at the shows.

John

I'll second, third and fourth that. And add that Ted is basically a NUT. A very lovable nut, though!

Unless something has changed in the last year since I lived there all of the Mile High locations are run down and full of garbage that they acquired in the 90's.

The Jason Street store is relatively new. It's giant and not at all run down as compared to their traditional "strip mall" type locations. Granted, those stores are nothing to write home about. If you hand pick comics at that loaction you can find some nice stuff.

Lastly Doug Sulipa at Comicworld is probably the best grader I have run into. It actually looks like he undergrads when you see the books you order. CGC grading tells me it’s actually spot on. His web site is a little difficult to navigate, to say the least, but when he gives a grade you can take it to the bank.

I've heard good things about Doug's grading, and I like the fact that he tries to stock everything, not just the high-dollar stuff.

The sticking point for me has been his ordering system. I don't have a problem buying sight-unseen from a dealer with a good rep. But his system, as I understand it, is: send him a list and then wait to be informed of a) whether it's available b) what condition it is c) what the price is....and the expectation that you're obligated to buy whatever he comes back with.

To my experience, that last part is not true.

I've declined books on several occassions with no repercussions, only friendly professional emails.

His communication is excellent.

My comment was based on comments that Doug has made in his market reports in the OSPG. I think it was in this years edition Doug made comments to the affect that he was put out that people request him to put a list of books together and then they don't follow through and buy them.

I'm not saying a person is obligated to buy what Doug puts together. But from Doug's comments I inferred that he expects a person to feel obligated to follow through, though he's not going to come out and say it to the potential buyer.

But it's an inference that I drew, it could just be me.

When I ask him to look up a book, I expect i will buy it if he has what I asked for. I have given him a list of 20-30 comics and turned down half of them. He does not come off as upset. He does remind you that while you are thinking about them they are "off" inventory. Therefore he would like you to decide in a timely manner so he can put them back up for sale.

"Chuck gets a bad rap and I don't think he has ever really deserved it. Even when grading was poor, I don't think he was trying to rip anybody off; he just has people grading books that didn't know what they are doing."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement there.

Let me be clear: I am not saying that books bought from Mile High are all graded accuratelty. What I am saying is that it has gotten DRAMATICALLY better. If you are buying merchandise they have brought in during the last couple of years or so, you are in pretty good shape. If you buy books he has had sitting around for a while, watch out. You don't know though until either you get the books or can see them in person like I can. I realize 90%+ of people can't see his stuff in person, so that is certainly a shortcoming. Bottom line, I have actually gotten a few books that I would call a steal. Moreover these books are not 2-3 dollar books they are $3-$500 and have graded out well at CGC.

Given the trend, I think things will continue to get even better if recent history ios any indicator. WIth the size of his inventory, you certainly want to be aware of it, at least.

I'm not going to go to the mat defending Chuck. However, you cannot ignore the fact that he uncovered what is probably even to this day, the most historic comic colllection ever uncovered. He also has one of the largest inventories in teh world. Considering his history, he is actually pretty quiet about his accomplishments.

When you go to the store you might literally find him sweeping, grading, pulling stock, running an auction on Saturday morning, etc. I mean, for the CEO of a relatively large business, he is right down on the floors with the "regular" employees.

I never held the Sandy thing against him. I have no idea if his train of thought was even legitimate. Maybe it was just a stupid mistake. Let he who is without sin throw the first stone on that one. I do know the guy is pretty heavily involved in non profit stuff in certain niches in the Colorado area.

In the end, I do know that on the important question of accurately graded comics he has gotten better.

Lastly Doug Sulipa at Comicworld is probably the best grader I have run into. It actually looks like he undergrads when you see the books you order. CGC grading tells me it’s actually spot on. His web site is a little difficult to navigate, to say the least, but when he gives a grade you can take it to the bank.

I've heard good things about Doug's grading, and I like the fact that he tries to stock everything, not just the high-dollar stuff.

The sticking point for me has been his ordering system. I don't have a problem buying sight-unseen from a dealer with a good rep. But his system, as I understand it, is: send him a list and then wait to be informed of a) whether it's available b) what condition it is c) what the price is....and the expectation that you're obligated to buy whatever he comes back with.

To my experience, that last part is not true.

I've declined books on several occassions with no repercussions, only friendly professional emails.

His communication is excellent.

My comment was based on comments that Doug has made in his market reports in the OSPG. I think it was in this years edition Doug made comments to the affect that he was put out that people request him to put a list of books together and then they don't follow through and buy them.

I'm not saying a person is obligated to buy what Doug puts together. But from Doug's comments I inferred that he expects a person to feel obligated to follow through, though he's not going to come out and say it to the potential buyer.

But it's an inference that I drew, it could just be me.

When I ask him to look up a book, I expect i will buy it if he has what I asked for. I have given him a list of 20-30 comics and turned down half of them. He does not come off as upset. He does remind you that while you are thinking about them they are "off" inventory. Therefore he would like you to decide in a timely manner so he can put them back up for sale.

It's possible that his comment wan't directed at those who decline to purchase what he presents them with, but rather to those simply discontinue all communication and never get back to him. In which case, I could understand his being miffed.

It's a different way of ordering from what I'm used to, but it sounds like I'll have to give him a try sometime.

I'm not going to go to the mat defending Chuck. However, you cannot ignore the fact that he uncovered what is probably even to this day, the most historic comic colllection ever uncovered. He also has one of the largest inventories in teh world. Considering his history, he is actually pretty quiet about his accomplishments.

When you go to the store you might literally find him sweeping, grading, pulling stock, running an auction on Saturday morning, etc. I mean, for the CEO of a relatively large business, he is right down on the floors with the "regular" employees.

I never held the Sandy thing against him. I have no idea if his train of thought was even legitimate. Maybe it was just a stupid mistake. Let he who is without sin throw the first stone on that one. I do know the guy is pretty heavily involved in non profit stuff in certain niches in the Colorado area.

In the end, I do know that on the important question of accurately graded comics he has gotten better.

I used to go to Mile High Comics when Chuck had a location in Anaheim down the street from Disneyland.I would see Chuck there all the time,now with that said.Before I knew any better I would feel like I was always getting ripped off,because the prices were always higher than NM+ and the comic looked like a fine.I asked him why are the prices the way they were,he told me it's because he has alot of overhead and has to pay for his big building and employees.He also stated that he has every comic that one would want,and to that you pay a premium.From that moment I stopped going to his store,and thankfully he closed that store some time later.I think it's a shame he has to give you a code word to finally give you a price close to what the book is even worth.Why go through all that BS,and just give the customer a fair price for the condition of the book?

Chuck is well known for bringing a great collection to light,but lets be honest.He made millions of dollars off that collection,and paid very little for it.He's still making money off people giving noobies sub par books for extremely high prices.

[i used to go to Mile High Comics when Chuck had a location in Anaheim down the street from Disneyland.I would see Chuck there all the time,now with that said.Before I knew any better I would feel like I was always getting ripped off,because the prices were always higher than NM+ and the comic looked like a fine.I asked him why are the prices the way they were,he told me it's because he has alot of overhead and has to pay for his big building and employees.He also stated that he has every comic that one would want,and to that you pay a premium.From that moment I stopped going to his store,and thankfully he closed that store some time later.I think it's a shame he has to give you a code word to finally give you a price close to what the book is even worth.Why go through all that BS,and just give the customer a fair price for the condition of the book?

Chuck is well known for bringing a great collection to light,but lets be honest.He made millions of dollars off that collection,and paid very little for it.He's still making money off people giving noobies sub par books for extremely high prices.

I have no idea who you talked to in Anaheim, but it most certainly was not CHuck. He never lived in Califinoria. He has always lived in Denver and has run his businesses out of there. I visited the anaheim stores a few times when I was near disneyland, but never bought anything. There was something a bit suspicious when after moving the store due to freeway expansion, and then after selling the store to an employe, the store quickly burned down.

[i used to go to Mile High Comics when Chuck had a location in Anaheim down the street from Disneyland.I would see Chuck there all the time,now with that said.Before I knew any better I would feel like I was always getting ripped off,because the prices were always higher than NM+ and the comic looked like a fine.I asked him why are the prices the way they were,he told me it's because he has alot of overhead and has to pay for his big building and employees.He also stated that he has every comic that one would want,and to that you pay a premium.From that moment I stopped going to his store,and thankfully he closed that store some time later.I think it's a shame he has to give you a code word to finally give you a price close to what the book is even worth.Why go through all that BS,and just give the customer a fair price for the condition of the book?

I have no idea who you talked to in Anaheim, but it most certainly was not CHuck. He never lived in Califinoria. He has always lived in Denver and has run his businesses out of there. I visited the anaheim stores a few times when I was near disneyland, but never bought anything. There was something a bit suspicious when after moving the store due to freeway expansion, and then after selling the store to an employe, the store quickly burned down.

I didn't say Chuck lived in California,however I did say I have seen him in the store a few times.

if doug would fix his website im sure he would have so much more business. i bought a few bronze age mags from milehigh last year and one of them came back a cgc 9.8 ,so every now and then you can get some good stuff from milehigh.

If there is one thing he is not, it's "quiet about his accomplishments" :eyeroll:

If there is one thing he is not, it's "quiet about his accomplishments" :eyeroll:

lol

wow after reading this thread I am not sure if I should or should not order anything from MH. I do know that my wife and I went to Denver for a couple of days years ago and I have always wanted to have a church pedigree comic in my collection(well up to that point). So I asked the clerk if he had any in stock, he had a confused look on his face and said he didn't know what I was talking about. So I walked around the store a little bit and then left. I have always thought they where priced pretty high.

Tales from the Database? :doh: