• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you still buy raw comics from comic selling websites?

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just curious if you guys still buy raw comics from comic selling websites? I still do but I have been re-evaluating that lately.

I had a conversation recently with a fellow board member who mentioned the number of times they were burned because they bought a raw book off a comic website.

Trimmed, non disclosed defects like stains on outside or inside of the book, color touch, missing pages...these are all things one has to deal with when purchasing that raw book versus the CGC graded copy.

Example:

This book was shown on a popular comic selling site but front cover only. No mention of missing anything or any issues, it was called a "3.5 VG - "

WeirdMyst4.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Is it really worth the risk of buying these raw books anymore? A CGC graded copy of this book in 3.5 would not have been all that much more. No need to out the seller of this particular book, I have been having problems with ALL of the sites I have been buying from which are: Comicconnect, Comiclink and Heritage. I have made one Ebay purchase in the last 5 years.

My rule is I will buy raw up to 1K from sites I trust. Anything more expensive, I look for a CGC copy.

Yea my cut off might be $500 though. I will buy runs of books and modern stuff, but if I'm buying a high ticket book it better be graded.

What company was that book from? Was a consignment item that maybe they didn't inspect well? Odd that information wasn't disclosed. Hopefully you filed for a return...

I will only buy inexpensive raw books through ebay, and I don't bother asking for refunds anymore, I just give a negative if I'm unhappy with the book at all. It's not worth the hassle/lost time/return shipping/gas to post office to bother returning it.

I have bought some raw books through these forums and I will probably continue to do so if I feel I can trust the seller, have good scans, etc. However someone did claim to be selling me 9.0 and 9.2 books and they were 6.5 or 7.0 at best. He did give a partial refund but I lost out on that deal.

I've never bought a raw book from any other websites but I don't think I would other than cheap filler and modern reader books.

I've currently got over 10,000 vintage raw books and around 20 CGC books on Ebay, so I certainly hope that people will buy raw books from me.

I think the key is to find dealers you trust, who EARN your trust, and work with them.

Hi all,

Just curious if you guys still buy raw comics from comic selling websites? I still do but I have been re-evaluating that lately.

I had a conversation recently with a fellow board member who mentioned the number of times they were burned because they bought a raw book off a comic website.

Trimmed, non disclosed defects like stains on outside or inside of the book, color touch, missing pages...these are all things one has to deal with when purchasing that raw book versus the CGC graded copy.

Example:

This book was shown on a popular comic selling site but front cover only. No mention of missing anything or any issues, it was called a "3.5 VG - "

WeirdMyst4.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Is it really worth the risk of buying these raw books anymore? A CGC graded copy of this book in 3.5 would not have been all that much more. No need to out the seller of this particular book, I have been having problems with ALL of the sites I have been buying from which are: Comicconnect, Comiclink and Heritage. I have made one Ebay purchase in the last 5 years.

Wow, that's terrible that the WM 4 would be sold as is without disclosure of those problems. What selling site was that?

I do buy raw from a couple of dealers, but that book being graded a VG- is inexcusable.

Hi all,

Example:

WeirdMyst4.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

I'll hazard a guess that the seller bought that book bagged and boarded, never took it out of the bag, and gave it a grade based solely on the front cover.

Yikes! I just bought some consigned GA stuff in lower grades (GD/VG) from MCS. I don't anticipate any problems as they have always been good to me, and very communicative. :wishluck:

Yikes! I just bought some consigned GA stuff in lower grades (GD/VG) from MCS. I don't anticipate any problems as they have always been good to me, and very communicative. :wishluck:

The book in this thread didn't come from us. I'm sure whoever sold it will provide a quick refund once made aware of the error.

Hope you like your books, and feel free to PM me if you need anything.

The book in this thread didn't come from us. I'm sure whoever sold it will provide a quick refund once made aware of the error.

Hope you like your books, and feel free to PM me if you need anything.

I'm sure everything will be shiny - you guys are always on top of stuff. And, to be honest - my biggest concern as a collector buying things online is with customer service and if people stand behind their sales. I've seen you guys do that, and that's why I shop with MCS. (thumbs u

The only raw comics I've bought off of major dealer websites were from Lonestar. Haven't had a problem although I've maybe placed 4 or 5 orders from them total. If anything, I've felt like the books were generally under-graded. I've also consigned to them and the comics have generally been graded lower than what I thought they would. Though that may have more to do with my grading abilities than theirs.

Edit: I have consigned to Lonestar a comic that was a double in a Heritage lot. Heritage graded it at FN/VF. It looked to be over-graded, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt when I offered it to mcs for consignment. They graded it as FN- (closer to what I thought). I've seen others that think Heritage over-grades their raws by a point or two as well. Makes it tough on lots when they only offer scans of three books.

Do buyers not ask questions of sellers before they buy anymore?

I would never purchase a large dollar book without several scans and communication with seller

While I won't name who the seller is ( as my intent here is to discuss not tarnish ) I want to point out the seller is trusted as I have bought books from them for 3 years almost every month.

Then suddenly....this book.

Do Comiclink, Heritage or Comicconnect provide details of interior and back cover scans if asked?

Do buyers not ask questions of sellers before they buy anymore?

I would never purchase a large dollar book without several scans and communication with seller

While I won't name who the seller is ( as my intent here is to discuss not tarnish ) I want to point out the seller is trusted as I have bought books from them for 3 years almost every month.

Then suddenly....this book.

Do Comiclink, Heritage or Comicconnect provide details of interior and back cover scans if asked?

Doubt it-especially with Comiclink as most of their raw comics aren't even on-site. If you could hook up with the owner they might be able to give a description.