• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Joe Kubert great ??

137 posts in this topic

With his body of work, his school, that Joe Kubert's Comic Book Studio kit for kids, he reached Icon status imho.

There's a sea of fantastic artists who've worked in comic books, but not all of them work tirelessly over a lifetime, teach others, and leave an unfathomable impact on future generations of graphic storytellers.

"Great" seems too small a moniker.

joe-kubert.jpg

:applause:

faxfax.jpg

:applause: I was there! What a great day that was

It was, it was!

I have a question for you - did you see Joe twice at W+P? I did, but I have a fuzzy memory as to why. I remember Joe wasn't alone like he was at the signing above. He was sitting between Steve Bissette and John Severin. Was that the 25th anniversary of Heavy Metal panel, that had 25 creators signing at the museum?

With his body of work, his school, that Joe Kubert's Comic Book Studio kit for kids, he reached Icon status imho.

There's a sea of fantastic artists who've worked in comic books, but not all of them work tirelessly over a lifetime, teach others, and leave an unfathomable impact on future generations of graphic storytellers.

joe-kubert.jpg

Aquaman has an octopus

joe-kubert.jpg

Aquaman has an octopus

There's a buncha dudes with Punisher t-shirts in the back as well.

faxfax.jpg

It was, it was!

I have a question for you - did you see Joe twice at W+P? I did, but I have a fuzzy memory as to why. I remember Joe wasn't alone like he was at the signing above. He was sitting between Steve Bissette and John Severin. Was that the 25th anniversary of Heavy Metal panel, that had 25 creators signing at the museum?

Yes, I did. It was the Heavy Metal signing. He was there with Severin, George Pratt, Wrightson, and a bunch of others. My memory is kinda hazy too. Don't remember exactly who was there

A buddy of mine got a Wrightson sketch. That was another awesome day. I'm still bummed the museum closed.

And unlike other star artists such as Neal Adams he never lost it.

Neal-Adams-Does-Wolvie..jpg

When did Neal "lose" it?

Compare his recent work with his 70's stuff. Be honest with yourself. he's not the same artist anymore. :(

Are any of the new generation of artists (Image 90's on up) doing this? Is it even beneficial to do so now with schools like the Savannah College of Art and Design that have renowned sequential art programs? Joe Kubert is a classic, and he's made an amazing mark on the industry with his dedication to his profession and how he gave back.

I'm just curious if the new generation is leaving a mark on future illustrators in some fashion?

The Gnomon Workshop has several comic book artists doing online tutorial and dvds for them. Here's a couple, w/ "sample clips"...

Phil Noto , Stephen Platt

faxfax.jpg

It was, it was!

Yes, I did. It was the Heavy Metal signing. He was there with Severin, George Pratt, Wrightson, and a bunch of others. My memory is kinda hazy too. Don't remember exactly who was there

A buddy of mine got a Wrightson sketch. That was another awesome day. I'm still bummed the museum closed.

Thank you for the confirmation, it was bugging me a bit. A did a Google search and all that but couldn't find any info. I think both our memories are hazy because there were so many creators there that day. I wish I had a list of everybody there. Besides the ones already listed, I remember Dave Dorman, Bill Sienkiewicz, and Jon J Muth were also there. Let me know if you ever find a list!

When did Neal "lose" it?

Compare his recent work with his 70's stuff. Be honest with yourself. he's not the same artist anymore. :(

not the same but to say he "lost it" is harsh, if you think back on Batman he only did interiors on 9 issues in 4 years and 10 issues in 10 years on Detective, on First X-Men he's done 4 in 4 months at the age of 71, even Green Lantern he only did 13 in 2 years

When did Neal "lose" it?

He didn't. The man is 70 years old and you have a bunch of middle aged men wishing he drew the same way he did over 40 years ago.

When did Neal "lose" it?

He didn't. The man is 70 years old and you have a bunch of middle aged men wishing he drew the same way he did over 40 years ago.

611_140927_450000000.jpg

Is Joe Kubert's greatness really a debatable issue?

I never cared for Monet but I'll never question his place in Impressionism and the entire History of Western Art.

Kubert has his place in the history of comic books- a legend who defines greatness and among many accomplishments, co-created the greatest war character in comic book history- Sgt. Rock.

John

kubert's style was perfect for the books he was known for...war, tarzan, etc. -- especially his covers (i guess most folks save their best work for the covers other than some of the cosmic kirby stuff from the 60s)

perhaps not the best for men in tights with super powers, but still better than the vast majority of comic artists out there

joe-kubert.jpg

Aquaman has an octopus

I have never understood the absence of Hawkman from this image. Pretty sure his work on that character covered one of the longest spans in his career...

When did Neal "lose" it?

The point I am making is that Kubert still drew beautifully in the same style he always did. even when he was 70 (plus).

I wish someone would post the Captain America variant Neal did recently, it is godawful, and I love his Bronze age work. He seems to elongate faces lately, just not my cup of tea. Whereas Kubert's Night Owl is great.