• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets see those BIG 10 centers and still 10 Centers

280 posts in this topic

it's purple, and it says Las Vegas on the cover! Earliest reference I have ever seen on the cover of a comic.

ll27.jpg

My favorite SA DC - Bizarro Superman & Big Brain Lois in the same issue. The best part of the story is Lois becomes the smartest person in the world and what does she obsess on - that Superman will think she's ugly. The other Big Brain classic is the issue of World's Finest where Supes is turned into a caveman and Batman gets the enlarged chrome dome - becoming a major a-hole in the process.

sorry to go off topic, but these are the other two big brain purple cover classics:

act256.jpg

jo22.jpg

While the shift from 10 to 12 cents is a convenient way of separating the early silver age from the later silver age ( or "Marvel" age), visually and thematically I always lump the DC block 10 and block 12 and the Marvel/Atlas circle 10 and circle 12 books together as the transitional niche.

Perceptive thinking!

...thematically I always lump the DC block 10 ... and the Marvel/Atlas circle 10 ... together as the transitional niche. Even Charlton did something similar with it's oblong quadrilateral.

Hmmmmm. Maybe we could ask Frozentundraguy whether he wants to expand the mandate of this thread to Marvel/Atlas circle 10c and Charlton Still 10c comics.

???

It was the end of an era. :o The ten cent comic was soon to be extinct, and to top if off DC Comics "telegraphed" that fact with the "STILL 10 C" and then the larger "10 C" boldly printed on the cover. I had not paid too much attention to the order, but it seems it would have been more logical to have the big 10 cents on the cover before still 10 cents. (shrug)

I believe I read in an old issue of CBM that DC chose to boldly print "STILL 10 Cents" because some comic book compaines such as Dell were already charging 12 cents for their books. Then DC morphed into the larger 10 cents omitting the "STILL" because they knew the time would soon come at the end of 1961 that they would raise their price to 12 cents. Then they could use the same exact logo. I believe they were trying to use a bit of sales psychology here by leaving the logo the same but with a 2-cent increase. Moreover, in many (but not all) titles, DC provided an explanation to their readers (and by extension to their parents) for the increase. ( See Action Comics 285 for example)

I will lead this off with the Challengers.

CHALL_20.jpg

It was the end of an era. :o The ten cent comic was soon to be extinct, and to top if off DC Comics "telegraphed" that fact with the "STILL 10 C" and then the larger "10 C" boldly printed on the cover. I had not paid too much attention to the order, but it seems it would have been more logical to have the big 10 cents on the cover before still 10 cents. (shrug)

I believe I read in an old issue of CBM that DC chose to boldly print "STILL 10 Cents" because some comic book compaines such as Dell were already charging 12 cents for their books. Then DC morphed into the larger 10 cents omitting the "STILL" because they knew the time would soon come at the end of 1961 that they would raise their price to 12 cents. Then they could use the same exact logo. I believe they were trying to use a bit of sales psychology here by leaving the logo the same but with a 2-cent increase. Moreover, in many (but not all) titles, DC provided an explanation to their readers (and by extension to their parents) for the increase. ( See Action Comics 285 for example)

I will lead this off with the Challengers.

CHALL_20.jpg

I don't remember the timing, but as Hepcat noted, Dell jumped to 15 cents for a while, before returning to 10 cents and then increasing to 12 cents with the rest of the industry. The "Still 10 cents" would make the most sense if there were competing comics on the stands at the higher (15 cent) price. But I don't know whether the timing is correct for this explanation.

Well, let's have a large 10 cent logo War Book join our Superheroes, Time Travellers, and Space Adventurers. Here's a Joe Kubert classic and the very end of an era: The last OAAW 10 center (BTW, OSPG neglects to mention it's the last 10 center; here's hoping the powers that be rectify this error of omission. OAAW112_zps09982217.jpg

I believe I read in an old issue of CBM that DC chose to boldly print "STILL 10 Cents" because some comic book compaines such as Dell were already charging 12 cents for their books. Then DC morphed into the larger 10 cents omitting the "STILL" because they knew the time would soon come at the end of 1961 that they would raise their price to 12 cents. Then they could use the same exact logo. I believe they were trying to use a bit of sales psychology here by leaving the logo the same but with a 2-cent increase. Moreover, in many (but not all) titles, DC provided an explanation to their readers (and by extension to their parents) for the increase. ( See Action Comics 285 for example).

I don't remember the timing, but as Hepcat noted, Dell jumped to 15 cents for a while, before returning to 10 cents and then increasing to 12 cents with the rest of the industry. The "Still 10 cents" would make the most sense if there were competing comics on the stands at the higher (15 cent) price. But I don't know whether the timing is correct for this explanation.

The timing is exactly right. Dell went to 15 cents with comics cover dated February 1961. DC went to the Still 10 cents logo with comics cover dated March 1961. Dell never dropped its comics back to 10 cents but did drop them down to 12 cents with the July 1962 releases. Dell's sales had of course nosedived when the other comic publishers held firm at the lower price points.

:preach: