• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Resubmit or not to Resubmit

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys. This is my first post so if I'm breaking any rules I was too lazy to look up, please be gentle. I recently got grades back from 12 submitted books. Of the 12 I expected 7 to come back 9.8. Instead 2 came back 9.8 and 5 came back 9.6. Funny thing is that both books that came back 9.8 were black cover books (typically harder to attain a higher grade). Now I'm of the opinion that the 5 that missed grade were probably more due to "bad day" syndrome than any fault with the books (of course I'm of that opinion ;) ). I would like some advice on whether or not, as a general rule, if a book has enough value potential should 9.6's be resubmitted. Is there any archival information on how often resubmitted 9.6s have been upgraded??? Thanks all. -Anthony

You should just keep resubmitting them until you get 9.8 on all of them.

I wouldn't stop with one or two resubmissions. They'll eventually get 9.8.

+1

If you try long enough you should get all 9.9s. :baiting:

In all sersiousness for Q1: is there a hard and fast rule?:

It will depend on the book and the collector so I dont think a universal rule exists.

I think the first step is to re-evaluate the books you thought were 9.8 and check that it isn't your grading standards that are at fault.

If you can dismiss this cause, then I would do a cost benefit analysis. That is, the cost of a resubmit vs the potential gain from a 9.8, whichever is larger wins.

This analysis is going to vary for each individual. Collectors will be different from dealers Etc.

For Q2:

Some people keep records of their resubmitts not sure how amenable to sharing they would be

2c

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Theres plenty of equity in the books that they could stand a few resubmits. Enough that after a few fails I could still sell at 9.6 and still make a tidy profit. However, I'd much rather get the grade and keep the books. Once I get the books back I'll look em over and decide if I'm grading on emotion or if they were graded on emotion and make a decision then. Once again much appreciated for the input. If I can remind myself to do it I'll post whether or not my resubmits were upgraded or not.

If you believe they are pressable defects, then I would recommend pressing before a submit. But if they aren't pressable, then you're just asking to get another 9.6 back.

Theres plenty of equity in the books that they could stand a few resubmits. Enough that after a few fails I could still sell at 9.6 and still make a tidy profit.

Just sell them now then and make even more profit. Why throw good money after bad?

I'm guessing Dice was joking, but I've had my rejects from a 9.8 pre-screen get a 9.8 after I've sold the books on ungraded, shipped them half way across the globe and the buyer submitted them again himself.

If you believe they are pressable defects, then I would recommend pressing before a submit. But if they aren't pressable, then you're just asking to get another 9.6 back.

Dr. Balls gives good advice. You should listen to him.

If you chose to resubmitt without pressing, you should wait a few months. Many

board members think that CGC is a bit tighter than the norm on grading right now.

Welcome to the boards...