• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R I P D

204 posts in this topic

Ladies and Gentlemen.

My prediction for Sleeper book of 2013.

Rest In Peace Department is from 1999 - 2000 and has now been made into a $150 million film.

It is being released in July - Sept this year (location dependant) this year and stars Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon, Jeff Bridges and Mary-Louise Parker.

Comic had a less than 5000 print run and is very hard to get in 9.8.

Sales range from $60 - ish on ebay to $4 from when I got really lucky!

I can't find any on GPA to indicate sales or indeed any on the census.

This could really heat up very quickly!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790736/

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/ripd/

Print run was 6843.

Councellor, you have me baffled.

Well, if that baffles you, tell me why this will be more Iron Man than Cowboys and Aliens. That was a little known comic property as well. So was Whiteout. Why don't people ever talk about those comics that actually got made into movies?

Another example is Red. The comic book hasn't really seen that much increase even though the movie was a hit and its sequel is coming out in July.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Rest In Peace Department is from 1999 - 2000 and has now been made into a $150 million film.

It is being released in July - Sept this year (location dependant) this year and stars Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon, Jeff Bridges and Mary-Louise Parker.

Print run was 6843.

Well, if that baffles you, tell me why this will be more Iron Man than Cowboys and Aliens. That was a little known comic property as well. So was Whiteout. Why don't people ever talk about those comics that actually got made into movies?

I don't know - why?

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Print run was 6843.

I don't know - why?

Because their hype machine hasn't convinced a bunch of dumbasses to buy OK-mediocre-terrible comic books that they have hoarded at hyper-inflated prices?

Anyone like BlackAcre comics? My buddy's, friend's, sister's mother's dog has this 9.9 SS BlackAcre and was wondering what it might be worth. He hasnt decided if he is gonna, you know keep it or just chew on it. Whatever you do, dont PM me about buying it, just thought people might be interested to know.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Print run was 6843.

I don't know - why?

Because their hype machine hasn't convinced a bunch of dumbasses to buy OK-mediocre-terrible comic books that they have hoarded at hyper-inflated prices?

Ah - another 'Modern Boardies are dumb' swipe.

Why come here Sean, if you have such distain.

And, who said any of us paid 'hyper-inflated' prices.

I certainly didn't, and if you have no interest in the book,I'm not too sure why you are even commenting?

You sometimes have a really mean edge,especially to new members, and tbh I have no idea why.

You are wildly succesful in life and your shoes probably cost more than my car.

I prefer the witty, funny Sean, we all do.

Your alter-ego, not so much.

Take care

Andy

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Print run was 6843.

I don't know - why?

I certainly didn't, and if you have no interest in the book,I'm not too sure why you are even commenting?

You sometimes have a really mean edge,especially to new members, and tbh I have no idea why.

Take care

Andy

hm

Sounds familiar. Another Andy analysis. :whee:

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Print run was 6843.

I don't know - why?

Take care

Andy

No, you misread me, entirely. I am not arguing that Boardies are dumb. I am not suggesting that you paid hyper inflated prices. I am stating that, without any real analysis of the quality of the book, or the quality of the film project, you have stated that

"This could really heat up very quickly!"

I am just asking for analysis. Why is this not going to be another Cowboys and Aliens? Help me understand. Otherwise you just sound like like an organ grinder trying to hype a series you have hoarded.

Does that help you understand?

Yes - and thats a fair question.

I think the talent, the behind camera team, and the power of a major studio will certainly put this book to the front of peoples attention.

The RIPD writers have just released another 4 part mini, and are doing another just before the films release.

A $200,000,000 film always has major hype - and certainly 'based on the comic book' will be a major plus.

A print run of 6k (thanks to another boardie) will ensure scarcity, and the fact that very few exist in high quality will only add to value.

I'm not expecting to retire on this Sean, but if i can return $100 - $150 on a book I got for cover - then thats me very happy.

Heck,even $50 is a result - lets hope it all works out - yes/

Cheers

Andy

I am all about making some bread from time to time. It makes up for some *ahem* poor decision making. But I find in interesting that some film projects don't even blip the back issue market, and some film projects blow stuff up.

That to me is where the real conversation lies. How do you stay on top of which movie rumors and which movie projects are going to heat up back issues?

I guess thats the $1,000,000 question.

Marketing? McDonalds toys are a great example of creating 'pop-culture' from a film. Especially Disney (obviously)

Mutual contacts combining the film and comic?

Comic writer being attached to the film?

Many variables I guess - if I knew,I would probably be retired by now.

I've got a spare #1 - why don't I send you a copy to read?

PM your mailing addy.

Andy

Yes - and thats a fair question.

I think the talent, the behind camera team, and the power of a major studio will certainly put this book to the front of peoples attention.

The RIPD writers have just released another 4 part mini, and are doing another just before the films release.

A $200,000,000 film always has major hype - and certainly 'based on the comic book' will be a major plus.

A print run of 6k (thanks to another boardie) will ensure scarcity, and the fact that very few exist in high quality will only add to value.

I'm not expecting to retire on this Sean, but if i can return $100 - $150 on a book I got for cover - then thats me very happy.

Heck,even $50 is a result - lets hope it all works out - yes/

Cheers

Andy

I've been reading up a bit on this film.

The behind the camera crew are what scare me the most, next to the release date.

I want this film to succeed and be a good film, just like I do with all comic properties. It's good for the hobby and helps ensure a long future for what we all enjoy. However, I haven't really like what I've seen from the director, Robert Schwentke, Red was ok but it was the stars that carried a really boring directorial job. Red did well despite his work.

The writers on the film, their resume, doesn't impress. One wrote Clash of the Titans and The Tuxedo, and the other has been writing for Hawaii 5-0.

The biggest stumbling block will be it's release date and competition. It is being released the same weekend as Red 2. That movie did big numbers and the number of name stars and now expanded fan base will either put Red 2 in the top spot while simultaneously sucking dollars away from RIPD.

Then the next weekend after those two films hit theaters: Wolverine. RIPD has got week one to make an impact and it faces huge competition without a Spielberg name to push it.

Like most films the marketing budget and licensing/tie ins, will directly relate to the opening weekend. If Universal spends the bucks to tell the sheep which movie to see then it will make some cash. If Universal smells blood in the water it might get Dredd's marketing budget, which we've seen doom a great film to disappointing box office.

This movie could be as good as Road to Perdition or 300, or it could suck as hard as The Spirit or Catwoman.

With a 6800+ print run , I am sure the original series will be worth something, even if the movie sucks...just for the novelty.

If the movie's REALLY bad or tanks super hard then you've got a collectors item to commemorate the immolation of the source material. So that's worth a few bucks.

If I were you I'd sell the sizzle and don't wait to sell the steak.

Marketing? McDonalds toys are a great example of creating 'pop-culture' from a film.

Marketing will be the thing that makes or breaks the movie. It's got 1 weekend to make an impact in all honesty. If the people are told to go then, some of them, will go.

McDonalds for this film? I don't think so, given that most of the characters are zombies. They'd really have to change it to make it kid friendly.

Any example of one modern comic that has flourished because of a movie.....not talking a quick bump then collapse. After the movie leaves theaters....then what.

There are a few from the 90's-early 2000's that have flourished or maintained value, The Crow, 30 Days of Night. But those spawned several sequels and were constantly in print for several years.

Most of them, however, fall off the radar after the film is gone.

I was getting $25 a piece for the first appearance of Tank Girl in 1994. Today it's probably $5, factor in inflation and I am paying people to take it. Men in Black, GIGANTIC Box Office success...no one cares about the comics very much. They predated CGC by a decade and with a billion + at the box office it's spurred only 20 blue label submissions. Someone paid for the one and only 9.8 copy a while back at an 85% discount of what the ubiquitous Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 sells for.

The only things that really spur long term price, demand and value is ongoing support of the title in print, and in other media. Even then, there's no guarantee. If publishers and hollywood forget about the property I would not expect anyone but the hardcore to care.