• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R I P D

204 posts in this topic

You got it cheap - there is a huge sales thread on here where they were selling for $80 each!

Insanely hard to find comic book - in any grade.

So you're saying the movie is going to suck? Sounds like it has an all-star cast. Dark Horse has a second series that I just read and really enjoyed. I'm just curious that a book like this is getting a movie and PP and TSG don't have anything going yet and skyrocketed in price.

I have the trade of the 1999 series and I let someone borrow it before reading, I'll have to get it back asap and check it out.

We'll have to see how the movie does, how much they advertise and push that huge-budget cast. Could be a good one.

I've only found 1 set of these books from the older series in the nearly 25 comic books stores I've visited in the last 2 months around FL. 1 set. They ended up grading at 9.8, 9.6, 9.8 and 9.8 so I can't complain. I found it very strange that I didn't find at least a couple random issues. I guess with a low print run and not much going for it back in 2000, it fell into dollar boxes everywhere.

I am really suprised this has not been getting much heat - its flying VERY low at the moment.

Ultra-low print run, next to none on ebay. (shrug)

The advertising for the movie should start in earnest in a couple of months.

I managed to get a fair number but it was very hard work.

There just aren't many out there let alone in 9.2 and above condition.

If (and it should,it really should) it takes off, I would be amazed if many 9.8's surfaced.

It's a $200,000,000 million movie - great cast and a very hard to find comic book.

These should be being hunted down like the Last Unicorn!

Except that the advertising seems like it won't start much before the movie. The best price is always realized before the movie release so the opportunity will be lost with current CGC turn around times. There may be some looking after seeing the movie but not as much potential compared to advertisements well in advance.

lol

I thought I was on ignore. Discussing RIPD in the RIPD thread is hardly stalking. I'm sorry you feel so threatened by me. Good job deflecting the discussion though. ;)

can someone give me a good example of a book that saw a sustained boost from a movie? Outside of Silver Age marvels (that already had value, but maybe were more overlooked) I cant really think of any movie bumps that dont go right back down after the movie.

That is the trend. It gets a bump that peaks right before the movie and then a decline. It may not decline to previous levels but it certainly does not maintain the peak. This applies to movies and TV shows.

Look no further than Iron Man.

From a wannabee 'B/C' to a genuine 'A'

Look no further than the knock-on effect.

Pepper-Potts in IM costume

Agent Coulson

War Machine

Whiplash

All 1st apps have gone crazy.

and for PP - look back to the '60's.