• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oscar shutout

99 posts in this topic

Didn't see DKR yet, but didn't think either the Avengers or Spider-man were worthy of Oscar consideration. Of course neither was Les Mis - which I got roped into seeing with my daughter. I'd rather sit through the Daredevil movie than watch that again.

Have to disagree there - what they did with Les Mis was remarkable for an on screen musical. Russel Crowe was about the only weak performer in the film because he was so focused on the singing he couldn't act. Hathaway's ability to put as much emotion into her performance while holding onto the music was really surprising and worthy of the nomination I thought. If you don't enjoy the story or don't enjoy musicals then it makes sense you could be bored because the story itself isn't fast moving, but I thought the film was done really really well (even though I think the non-movie music is still better).

That seems a bit messed up considering Batman, Avengers, & Spidey combined for a gross of over $3.3billion.

The Oscars should be about thought-provoking, moving and technically superior films. As much as I enjoyed The Avengers, there is nothing about it that is thought-provoking, moving or technically superior. TDKR and ASM are mediocre at best, and the only achievements any of those films can hope to make is making money.

Making money is not what the Oscars are about, it's about making visual art.

When I said balance personalities - I meant character personalities, not the talent. The balance of story telling for so many major heroes in such a short amount of time, I thought, was remarkably well done

It was the visual equivalent of mainlining PCP in the jugular. If Jason Statham was a CGI creation...

That seems a bit messed up considering Batman, Avengers, & Spidey combined for a gross of over $3.3billion.

The Oscars should be about thought-provoking, moving and technically superior films. As much as I enjoyed The Avengers, there is nothing about it that is thought-provoking, moving or technically superior. TDKR and ASM are mediocre at best, and the only achievements any of those films can hope to make is making money.

Seems like they ought then to change the name from "Best Picture" to "Most Thought-Provoking, Moving, and/or Technically Superior Picture Which May or May Not Be the Best Movie."

Regardless, I can't honestly argue I think Avengers is worthy of the best picture win, but it seems like when you do that well from an audience perspective, a nomination is deserved. Especially when one considers what a train wreck these movies can be under poor direction (let the masses throw out the titles we all know were horrific).

So, even if Avengers & DKR aren't worthy of Best Pic wins, I would have thought they both should have earned some nods (like director given what Whedon was able to do with such enormous character expectation and what Nolan has done to the superhero genre in general with the Batman trilogy). If the mass audience has absolutely zero (or possibly negative) correlation toward whether a movie is "Best," then it seems like we need a new definition of terms for what the academy is doing and thus a new expectation for why the public should be interested (cause their preferences obviously don't correlate).

I guess I'd say its very rare that a "popcorn" movie wins the Oscar: Titanic and Gladiator are the only two I can think of since 2000 that were both box office/popular culture hits and Oscar winners...

Well, the Lord of the Rings...

doh! forgot that one!

All of those dumb awards are just self-congratulatory masturbation anyway. :sumo:

That needs to be in someone's signature somewhere.

:applause:

maybe right next to someones "best of" sketch awards in their signature?

anyone? :baiting:

anyone? :baiting:

Seems like they ought then to change the name from "Best Picture" to "Most Thought-Provoking, Moving, and/or Technically Superior Picture Which May or May Not Be the Best Movie."

Nah, best picture cuts it. Most profitable picture hasn't been claimed by anyone yet though.

gross of over $3.3billion.

Awards are nice I guess, but in the end they don't amount to a whole lot. It's the quoted portion that's important, and will ensure more comic adaptations in the future. As long as Hollywood keeps churning out quality superhero movies, I don't much care what a bunch of stuffed shirts deem "worthy".

All of those dumb awards are just self-congratulatory masturbation anyway. :sumo:

And that's the best kind of masturbation!

I dont think anyone would consider Avengers, Spidey or DKR as doing anything groundbreaking, innovative or particularly impressive insofar as how the awards are given out.

There was some pretty loose editing and cinematography in these movies. And no one gets a directorial nod for having to deal with the talent, its about what shows up on the screen. The comic book movies certainly have moved forward from where they were 10-20 years ago, but in most cases they are just well executed movies about a subject matter I love. Its the subject matter that evokes a response from me, not the movie-making/acting itself.

I thought Avengers had phenomenal cinematography. The tracking shot during the final battle without a cut was jaw dropping, not many directors can pull that off.

I dont think anyone would consider Avengers, Spidey or DKR as doing anything groundbreaking, innovative or particularly impressive insofar as how the awards are given out.

There was some pretty loose editing and cinematography in these movies. And no one gets a directorial nod for having to deal with the talent, its about what shows up on the screen. The comic book movies certainly have moved forward from where they were 10-20 years ago, but in most cases they are just well executed movies about a subject matter I love. Its the subject matter that evokes a response from me, not the movie-making/acting itself.

I thought Avengers had phenomenal cinematography. The tracking shot during the final battle without a cut was jaw dropping, not many directors can pull that off.

tracking shots aren't what they are cracked up to be when they are done against a green screen with so many digital elements being added afterwards.

I thought the overall battle choreography was muddy (at the end).

The most discussed Oscar(Academy Awards) head-scratcher:

1991 Best Picture Winner: Dances with Wolves

over

Goodfellas.

The one Oscar debate that the Academy really does not want to ever address again:

1978 Best Picture: Annie Hall

over

Star Wars.

It is public record that both of the Best Picture snubs earned at least 15x $$$ than the eventual Winner. The voters of the Academy are human beings, and they ANSWER TO PEOPLE in this cut-throat business. If you believe that no one knows who votes for what, I have some Modern Drek I will make a good price for you as a future Investment.

Take a chance! Columbus did, and he died of 4th stage Syphillis.

CAL still has 4th stage flu...

The most discussed Oscar(Academy Awards) head-scratcher:

1991 Best Picture Winner: Dances with Wolves

over

Goodfellas.

The one Oscar debate that the Academy really does not want to ever address again:

1978 Best Picture: Annie Hall

over

Star Wars.

It is public record that both of the Best Picture snubs earned at least 15x $$$ than the eventual Winner. The voters of the Academy are human beings, and they ANSWER TO PEOPLE in this cut-throat business. If you believe that no one knows who votes for what, I have some Modern Drek I will make a good price for you as a future Investment.

Take a chance! Columbus did, and he died of 4th stage Syphillis.

CAL still has 4th stage flu...

I think the Academy was still using myspace when they voted The Kings Speech over The Social Network.